IGNORED

DOUBLEDOWN Custom ColecoVision Controllers

doubledown

8 hours ago, Swami said:

Very nice! What would be the likelihood of a right handed four button version with trackball and spinner? You could team up with pboland, the cyclone spinner provider.

Well to me this is a right hand controller.  I am indeed right handed, and I play joystick left / button(s) right as my preferred setup.  Comes from years of playing Galaga in the arcades I presume.  

But a flip-flopped variant (left buttons / right joystick) shouldn't really be any problem, but it would have to be commissioned.  A 4 button Super Action Arcade Controller is additionally possible, but an all-in-one "magic controller" wouldn't be, at least not in this controller housing, its too way small for all the necessary components.  The larger housing I used for my Defender Edition - Arcade Experience Controller (see pic in post #110 of this thread) might be big enough, but still might feel crowded.  I understand the "idea" of having 1 controller fulfill all needs, but I've seen some people's MAME control panels, with 4 joysticks, 2 pistol grip joysticks, trackballs, 100 buttons, spinners and all other manner of crap, and I just don't care for them.  Something like a ColecoVision "All-In-One Wonder Controller" would have to be commissioned, I don't think I'd build it of my own accord.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, doubledown said:

Venture

Yes possible, standard dye colors and I have spare controllers

Zaxxon

Yes possible, standard dye colors, but would need donor controllers

Any renderings of the Venture and/or Zaxxon style controllers.  Just wondering.  Thanks as these controllers look damn good.  Nice work!

The initial pics for the Zaxxon controller were in post #52 in this thread,

The initial pic for the Venture controller was in post #61 in this thread,

Additionally you can click my signature or HERE for a link to my website showcasing the ColecoVision hardware I've made over the years.

• Like 1

Hey Doubledown, welcome back.  You know what I want?  I want a controller dedicated for use on the Expansion Module #2 driving controller.  Either a knob that would match/compliment the colours on the wheel decals.  Maybe a custom keypad with gearshift markings or theme...

I've had that thought before.  As it was packaged with turbo, I would imagine a wooden gear shift knob (like the Turbo arcade cabinet) scaled down in size a bit.  The wheel itself also needs some weight added to it too, its a little too light weight.  Additionally the controller would need to have a straight wired cord to match the length of the cord on the Driving Module.  

55 minutes ago, doubledown said:

I've had that thought before.  As it was packaged with turbo, I would imagine a wooden gear shift knob (like the Turbo arcade cabinet) scaled down in size a bit.  The wheel itself also needs some weight added to it too, its a little too light weight.  Additionally the controller would need to have a straight wired cord to match the length of the cord on the Driving Module.  

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the wood on the arcade.  I was thinking the blue knob would look nice to match the blue gauges on the controller.  Or a T shaped shifter if it doesn't interfere with the wheel.  Straight cord is a must, do you know the secret method to straighten them that that other guy Yurkie uses?

I happen to own a Turbo arcade cabinet, and I can 100% verify that the gear shift knob is real actual wood.  The arcade cab's knob is way to big for a Coleco hand controller, something more the size of a arcade cabinet bat handle knob I think would be about right (maybe a little shorter).  I think a T handle would be too close to the wheel, especially for Dukes of Hazzard, where you have to use all for directions (4-speed H transmission).  I've seen people "straighten" coiled cords, but it always seemed to me to take too much time, I've always just used salvaged Genesis cables, or when I need longer, I can buy the cable at length, and install my own end.  

12 minutes ago, doubledown said:

I happen to own a Turbo arcade cabinet, and I can 100% verify that the gear shift knob is real actual wood.  The arcade cab's knob is way to big for a Coleco hand controller, something more the size of a arcade cabinet bat handle knob I think would be about right (maybe a little shorter).  I think a T handle would be too close to the wheel, especially for Dukes of Hazzard, where you have to use all for directions (4-speed H transmission).  I've seen people "straighten" coiled cords, but it always seemed to me to take too much time, I've always just used salvaged Genesis cables, or when I need longer, I can buy the cable at length, and install my own end.  

I saw Chart45 build the Expansion Module 2 circuit into a playstation mc2 racing wheel, although he never sold it.

8 hours ago, Swami said:

I saw Chart45 build the Expansion Module 2 circuit into a playstation mc2 racing wheel, although he never sold it.

I thought about a electronics transplant before too into a fancier/nicer housing, but never got any farther than thinking about it.  I wonder what he did for a power source for his?

5 hours ago, SHaMROCK 73 said:

A wood ball top, I'm doing this.  I looked at the TURBO cabinet buy there isn't any great pictures.  What shade of stain I'd on the wood?  I'd there a white circle at the very end of the shifter?

Its a medium brown/stain coloring.  Not sure how much UV has affected the color on mine over the last 38 years to say what the proper color should be.  Presumably there would have been a cover/cap/sticker on the shift knob to cover the hole where it is affixed to the joystick shaft, but alas mine is missing this bit.  So I'm not sure what exactly was there, and like you said there aren't really any good pics online.  

Seems reasonable, plain silver disc.  It would hide the nut and washer that holds the shaft onto the joystick.  Wood stain color looks approximate to mine as well.  I can tell you though that the perforated laced steering wheel wrap in that picture is not standard.

I'm thinking I will buy these in this eBay listing.  I have two modded ColecoVision controllers with 20mm black plastic ball tops done by another AtariAge member.  For continuity, I am thinking of the 20mm version of these wood balls.  I haven't seen any cylinder shaped ones that look like they would work...  Two days ago I had never considered wood, now I'm fully obsessed with this project...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323513949246

Screenshot_20190827-162836.png

Could work, you would just need to figure out how to fasten to existing shaft, and/or determine if you would extend the shaft or not.  The modified hand controllers I've made I use a ball knob approximately 1-1/4" (30mm) which I found most comfortable, and I extended the shaft length by 1/2" (taller).  For a quick grab shifting scenario, I would definitely want a taller shaft vs the standard controller shaft length.  Color-wise to match Turbo these would need to be sanded or stripped and re-stained lighter (and less red) if you wanted it to match.  For a "cylindrical" knob like Turbo, I would start with a dowel rod probably and turn it down to the shape/size I wanted. 

45 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Could work, you would just need to figure out how to fasten to existing shaft, and/or determine if you would extend the shaft or not.  The modified hand controllers I've made I use a ball knob approximately 1-1/4" (30mm) which I found most comfortable, and I extended the shaft length by 1/2" (taller).  For a quick grab shifting scenario, I would definitely want a taller shaft vs the standard controller shaft length.  Color-wise to match Turbo these would need to be sanded or stripped and re-stained lighter (and less red) if you wanted it to match.  For a "cylindrical" knob like Turbo, I would start with a dowel rod probably and turn it down to the shape/size I wanted. 

I have seen more brownwood balls  on eBay as well...

I still use the existing shaft.  After I pull off the disc knob, I drill out and tap/thread the screw hole in the original shaft, (from the underside) for a larger #10-24 screw (vs. original #4 screw).  Then drill out the base of the shaft for the #10 screw head.  Then use a 1/2" long un-threaded (black anodized) aluminum spacer (sized for #10 screw) which I drill out the lower 1/3 to fit snugly onto the original shaft where the original disc was.  Snugly thread screw up into the joystick shaft from bottom, slide on the modified spacer, add blue loctite to the screw threads, then screw on the ball knob.  Then I need to drill out a portion of the screw head where it sits on top of the white PCB joystick centering pin/directional actuator.  

Oh, ok thanks Doubledown.  I ask because I am missing a shaft for one of my controllers.  I mailed it away about two years ago to have it fitted for a ball top and it apparently never arrived.  I was thinking if you use entirely new parts you might have an extra laying around...