IGNORED

DOUBLEDOWN Custom ColecoVision Controllers

doubledown

Well here it is...simple, sleek, yet stunningly sophisticated:

OVc2tt.png

BsHSpJ.png

Modeled after the #2495 Display Kiosk...I've created this "Enhanced Controller."  It's not truly an Experience Controller, because that would have to perfectly replicate this:

e6QL43.jpg

And even though I am right-handed, I prefer to play Joystick/Left & Pushbuttons/Right.  So I replicated the Joystick and Pushbutton hardware and color scheme, but added 2 additional buttons (in black to camouflage with the control panel), and built a 12 button keypad with 10 grey, and 2 black, 24mm pushbuttons, surrounded by a custom (color-matched) keypad CPO, mimicking the look of the original Coleco keypad.  The idea for the custom pushbutton keypad, was to offer a more arcade-like and interactive control feel, vs. the standard metal-domed membrane keypads.    

The controls I selected:

(1) Wico (reproduction) red-ball, 8-way, leaf-switch joystick

(1) Red, (1) green, (2) black GGG Classx leaf-switch pushbuttons

(10) Dark hai, (2) black Sanwa silent 24mm pushbuttons

...and I added a full-sized reproduction of the Donkey Kong instruction card artwork from the original kiosk.  I may still add the white-outlined rainbow ColecoVision logo, and/or "The Arcade Quality Video Game System" tagline artwork at some point, but I'll look at, and decide on that later.  

While I have the other "game-specific" controllers, I still needed a universal controller for myself, so this was my vision.  As I had no layout/artwork constraints with this one, I spent a bunch of time with the ergonomics of the control layout, and it is perfect.  The controls are in-board and upward enough so that your wrists are fully supported on the control panel at all times, even when in your lap, and my fingertips comfortably hover/rest over all four pushbuttons without having to twist my wrist, or overly spread out my fingers.  Now that its finally assembled I'm super happy with how it looks and feels, now I just need to wire it up and give it a test run!  Enjoy.

• Like 4

So I got my new #2495 Display Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller wired up last night and got in some solid play time last night and today.  Obviously, it plays great...the true external leaf-switch joystick and pushbuttons are silent, super sensitive and amazingly responsive.  And I have to say its awesome having real pushbuttons for the keyad buttons, for games that make a lot of use of them.  I played Ken Uston's Blackjack/Poker and It's Only Rock 'n Roll for about 20-30 minutes each, and its so much easier to quickly slap a pushbutton versus manipulating the keypad buttons.  It also makes Mouse Trap a lot more enjoyable too.  It takes more time to make, more time to wire, and costs more money, but its definitely the way to go when there is enough room on the control panel.

In other news I got the painting done on my next, upcoming VVG Joystick Controller tonight...so I should be unveiling that in a few days once the paint cures enough.  

Also, and I'm not sure how/why I never thought of it before, but I had an idea tonight for a new VVG Hand Controller, reminiscent of the original Coleco controllers.  I found and ordered an enclosure and pushbuttons for it tonight and I should have them in a couple of days to start prototyping.  So stay tuned for that!

So FYI, anybody who has purchased one of my Joystick Controllers, and is interested in a "storage" solution for it, I have found this:

AMAZON LINK

mn7FuI.jpg

mTR1JR.jpg

jdWfRf.jpg

It is an inexpensive handgun case available for about $16 on Amazon right now (link above pics).  I got one to check the size and it fits well.  You need to either simply remove the middle layer of foam, (the smooth 2-sided middle layer), or you could cut out the controllers shape out of this middle section to provide some side impact support.  But it does fit snugly in between the upper and lower "egg-crate" foam and doesn't seem to move around without the middle layer entirely.  

I'm not looking to sell or provide these myself, just letting those who purchased a controller that this is a decent storage option than can be laid flat, or stood up on end like a briefcase, as in the first pic.  

Unveiling the Pac-Man Edition - VVG Joystick Controller:

dsT5on.png

Featuring:

Seimitsu LS-32, red-ball, 4-way Joystick (can be configured as an 8-way, 4-way, or 2-way)

Ultimarc Goldleaf pushbuttons, (2) white (modeled after the P1/P2 buttons from the arcade cabinet)

Edladdin Easy CV PCB w/ Keypad with custom overlay

Custom CPO modeled after the original artwork

Original start button left stock yellow to camouflage with the housing, and wired as 2nd * button

Enjoy!

5 hours ago, doubledown said:

dsT5on.png

Featuring:

Seimitsu LS-32, red-ball, 4-way Joystick (can be configured as an 8-way, 4-way, or 2-way)

Ultimarc Goldleaf pushbuttons, (2) white (modeled after the P1/P2 buttons from the arcade cabinet)

Original start button left stock yellow to camouflage with the housing, and wired as 2nd * button

Enjoy!

Beautiful controller! - I sent you a PM.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, doubledown said:

Well here it is...simple, sleek, yet stunningly sophisticated:

OVc2tt.png

BsHSpJ.png

Modeled after the #2495 Display Kiosk...I've created this "Enhanced Controller."  It's not truly an Experience Controller, because that would have to perfectly replicate this:

e6QL43.jpg

And even though I am right-handed, I prefer to play Joystick/Left & Pushbuttons/Right.  So I replicated the Joystick and Pushbutton hardware and color scheme, but added 2 additional buttons (in black to camouflage with the control panel), and built a 12 button keypad with 10 grey, and 2 black, 24mm pushbuttons, surrounded by a custom (color-matched) keypad CPO, mimicking the look of the original Coleco keypad.  The idea for the custom pushbutton keypad, was to offer a more arcade-like and interactive control feel, vs. the standard metal-domed membrane keypads.    

The controls I selected:

(1) Wico (reproduction) red-ball, 8-way, leaf-switch joystick

(1) Red, (1) green, (2) black GGG Classx leaf-switch pushbuttons

(10) Dark hai, (2) black Sanwa silent 24mm pushbuttons

...and I added a full-sized reproduction of the Donkey Kong instruction card artwork from the original kiosk.  I may still add the white-outlined rainbow ColecoVision logo, and/or "The Arcade Quality Video Game System" tagline artwork at some point, but I'll look at, and decide on that later.  

While I have the other "game-specific" controllers, I still needed a universal controller for myself, so this was my vision.  As I had no layout/artwork constraints with this one, I spent a bunch of time with the ergonomics of the control layout, and it is perfect.  The controls are in-board and upward enough so that your wrists are fully supported on the control panel at all times, even when in your lap, and my fingertips comfortably hover/rest over all four pushbuttons without having to twist my wrist, or overly spread out my fingers.  Now that its finally assembled I'm super happy with how it looks and feels, now I just need to wire it up and give it a test run!  Enjoy.

Brilliant Enhanced KIOSK controller - love your innovation around the number buttons as arcade type fire buttons if you will - VERY COOL! You definitely need to have that multi colored CV word at the front and the arcade experience wording somewhere - super beautiful stuff.

12 hours ago, doubledown said:

dsT5on.png

Featuring:

Enjoy!

Geez - shut up and take my money!  That looks great!  Part of me thinks I need a 4 way mounted correctly for 4 way games and the practical part of me knows I need to make due with changing the gate on my super action version!

-James

5 hours ago, mingus said:

Geez - shut up and take my money!  That looks great!  Part of me thinks I need a 4 way mounted correctly for 4 way games and the practical part of me knows I need to make due with changing the gate on my super action version!

-James

You don't want to wait for the other secret unveils? 

I had some time to work on the Spy Hunter controls today.  I'm still waiting on the enclosure, but I needed to finish up the steering yoke.  I had to re-bend the tubing, cut to length the flexible conduit (tubing covering) and modify the cast housing which acts as the center hub, to hide the mechanical fittings.  I think it came out pretty good.  The center box isn't exactly the same shape/size of the original, but I can't cast my own parts unfortunately...and Hammond sells this one, pre-painted for like $16:

tIrKaZ.png

Here's the comparison to the original:

UGjVpl.png

It's gonna be sweet!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 4:44 PM, doubledown said:

You don't want to wait for the other secret unveils? 

I had some time to work on the Spy Hunter controls today.  I'm still waiting on the enclosure, but I needed to finish up the steering yoke.  I had to re-bend the tubing, cut to length the flexible conduit (tubing covering) and modify the cast housing which acts as the center hub, to hide the mechanical fittings.  I think it came out pretty good.  The center box isn't exactly the same shape/size of the original, but I can't cast my own parts unfortunately...and Hammond sells this one, pre-painted for like $16:

tIrKaZ.png

Here's the comparison to the original:

UGjVpl.png

It's gonna be sweet!

OMG!!!  This would be amazing!

SO many hours playing Spy Hunter at the student center game room when I was supposed to be studying...

• Like 1

I am anxiously waiting the enclosure for the Spy Hunter controller.  The yoke is now completely finished and the CPO artwork is ready to be printed/laminated, but I'm waiting to get the enclosure to make sure there aren't any surprise differences from the manufacturer's engineering drawings.  

Well...not ColecoVision...but unveiling the CX2600 Edition 1-Button Atari 2600/8-Bit/7800 controllers:

Bat-Top:

QvvO2L.png

Ball Top:  

RsWss2.png

The only Atari console I have hooked up currently is my XEGS, which I admit I don't play too much.  I also realize that my ColecoVision controllers are compatible with my 8-bit computer, but I wanted an Atari themed controller for it.  And as I grew up with a 4-switch VCS CX2600A, I wanted to reproduce the looks of that console and its joystick, so here it is.

(1) Seimitsu LS-32 joystick, black bat-knob option to closely resemble the stick of the CX-40 (and almost exactly the same height), and a black ball-knob variant, configurable as 8-way, 4-way, or 2-way

(1) Ultimarc GoldLeaf pushbutton, with black body and orange plunger

Custom CPO with photo-realistic walnut woodgrain, joystick ring detail, and Atari logo

I am planning to make this a 2-button (7800 compatible) controller, but I'm waiting on the second set of buttons, so I figured I might as well take some pics of this 1-button variant before I cut out the 2nd hole.  I had initially planned to also add a paddle controller to this Joystick, but once I started laying it out, with it's overall size of only 9" x 12", I just don't find it large enough to add this feature without really sacrificing ergonomics and making it feel too crowded.  

Unveiling...the Donkey Kong Jr. Edition - VVG Joystick Controller:

PeCCRA.png

I figured I might as well complete the DK/DKR set of Joystick Controllers so I made this up.  

Featuring:

Seimitsu LS-32, 4-way joystick w/black ball-knob

(2) Ultimarc GoldLeaf Pushbuttons, (1) Orange,matching the original arcade cabinet, and (1) Light Blue to camouflage with the CPO, but present to offer 2-button game compatibility

Edladdin Easy CV I/O PCB w/ Keypad w/ custom overlay

& the donor controller's original Start button dyed dark blue to match the original arcade cabinet's P1/P2 start buttons, and wired as a duplicate * keypad key

Enjoy!

Unveiling...the Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Joystick Controller:

Yx2vZz.png

GGOmku.png

So for those who want a Mouse Trap joystick controller, but don't want my full-sized Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Experience Controller, I came up with this as an alternative.  The key to this controller is the 8-pole, double throw switch on the right side of the controller housing.  When it's un-pressed (indicator cap is black), the 4 buttons are wired as standard SAC buttons, but when this button is pressed in (indicator cap is green), the 4 buttons are wired to the 5, 1, 2, & 3 keypad keys used in Mouse Trap for opening doors and transforming into a Dog.  I had a few thoughts and choices when I chose the buttons and their order and the likes and decided on this scenario:

I had 2 options for the button colors, 4 buttons color matched to the Mouse Trap arcade cabinet, or get 7 buttons, and mix and match the body colors and plunger colors.  The thought for this I had was to color-code the button bodies (outer rings) as the Super Action color scheme, and have the plungers as the Mouse Trap color scheme.  But when I played around with all of these extra colors it threw off the look of it's intended Mouse Trap scheme and I didn't care for it, so I went simply with the Mouse Trap color scheme.  And for the few SAC compatible games, I know the order of the buttons, I don't need to look at the button colors to know which button to press.

The other issue/concern I had was what order to wire the Mouse Trap buttons in.  In the arcade cabinet, and my Experience Controller, the joystick is on the right, and from left to right the buttons are Red, Yellow, and Blue, then down low and centered is the Green Dog button.  When you use a ColecoVision hand controller or Super Action controller for Mouse Trap, 1 is Red, 2 is Yellow, 3 is Blue.  Both of which put the order of the buttons from left to right Red, Yellow, Blue...so that's what I went with even though the joystick and buttons are flip-flopped from the arcade layout, and I placed the Green button as the most inward and downward button mimicking the arcade controls. 

The only other change I made from the arcade cabinet controls scheme (and I made this change after its initial build to my Experience Controller) was to install an 8-way octagonal gate on the joystick.  The original arcade game used a 4-way joystick, and that was how I originally built my Experience Controller.  But Mouse Trap doesn't have "cruise control" like say Pac-Man or Pepper II.  In Pac-Man you press left to send Pac-Man leftward, and he will continue to move left until he hits a wall, or you change directions with the joystick.  So you can send Pac-Man left, and any time before you get to a turn, you can press and hold the joystick in that direction, and when you get to the passage he will go that way.  Mouse Trap does not have "cruise control" like Pac-Man.  So unless you are holding left, the Mouse just sits there.  So you have to hold the joystick left to go left, then when you are exactly in line with the turn you want to make, you press the joystick in that direction.  But what you wouldn't know (unless you played the ColecoVision version of Mouse Trap with a 4-way joystick), is that it is very hard to stop exactly where you need to be to make a turn.  Once I found this issue, I tried the joystick's default 8-way square gate...which works...but if when holding one direction on the joystick it slides along the square gate's smooth side slightly into a corner, then you can turn when you didn't intend to.  As the octagonal gate has 8 mild corners that you can feel, it will help you hold any 1 direction truly without sliding into a corner forcing you to turn when you don't want to.  I generally find that I don't like the feel of 8-way octagonal gates, but in the case of Mouse Trap, I find it the best way to play.  So all that being said here are the components used:

Seimitsu LS-32 Joystick w/ Blue ball-knob and Kowal 8-way octagonal gate

(4) Ultimarc GoldLeaf pushbuttons, Green, Red, Yellow, & Blue

Edladdin Easy CV PCB w/ Keypad w/ custom ovelay

Custom CPO inspired by the original arcade cabinet

Start button wired as duplicate * button

8PDT Pushbutton switch to provide 2 unique wiring schemes for the 4 pushbuttons - Super Action scheme, and Mouse Trap scheme

Controller housing painted white to match the original arcade cabinet

Enjoy!

Edited by doubledown
  • Like 1

For more detail/clarification:

When the Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Joystick Controller is in "Mouse Trap" mode, the buttons are wired as follows:

GREEN Button - wired to keypad #5, to transform from Mouse to Dog

RED Button - wired to keypad #1, to manipulate the Red Doors

YELLOW Button - wired to keypad #2, to manipulate the Yellow Doors

BLUE Button - wired to keypad #3, to manipulate the Blue Doors

Yx2vZz.png

When the Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Joystick Controller is in "Super Action" mode, the buttons are wired as follows:

GREEN Button - wired to Hand Controller Left Button / Super Action Yellow Button

RED Button - wired to Hand Controller Right Button / Super Action Orange/Red Button

YELLOW Button - wired to Super Action Purple Button

BLUE Button - wired to Super Action Blue Button

So just as if you were using an actual Super Action Controller (in the proper order), your index finger manipulates the Yellow button, middle finger manipulates the Orange/Red button, ring finger the Purple button, and pinky finger the Blue button just like this:

QeR5D6.png

So while this Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Joystick controller was created to provide a more arcade-like way to play Mouse Trap versus having to use the keypad buttons (but smaller and less expensive versus the Experience Controller variant), it is fully compatible with all games that need either 0, 1, 2, or all 4 Super Action buttons.  And with it's 8-way octagonal restricted joystick it is also compatible with all games which don't require the Driving Module or the Roller Controller.  

3 hours ago, WaveRider1970 said:

Very nice controllers lately. Impossible to buy them all. Which ones would be available for sale one day? Cheers

Technically, any of the new controllers can be available at any time.  The only variance would potentially be pricing due to the cost of the donor controller(s), and parts/components shipping costs if simply ordering parts for one controller, versus a large batch of controllers like we did with the pre-order/purchase batch.  

With all that being said, each of the recent/new Pac-Man, Donkey Kong Junior, and Mouse Trap Editions have already been spoken for/purchased, and the CX2600 Edition I made for myself.  

When I was getting the donors initially for the big order, I was able to get 7 more then I had orders for, which account for these new 4, plus 3 remaining.  2 other donors are actually in hand, but are spoken for with new designs, 1 for myself, and 1 being ordered at the request of a member.  The last 1, is still in shipping and it's been a while, so that one may fall through, but I've already got a couple of different ideas for that one.  

I assumed with the controllers that were already purchased, plus the holidays coming up, I was thinking about checking interest in another pre-order batch after the first of the year, like maybe in late January.  But like I said if anyone is interested in any controllers before that, send me a PM and I'll see what we can do.  

For those interested, "standard" pricing for the new designs is as follows:

Pac-Man Edition - VVG Josytick Controller - $275.00 

Donkey Kong Junior Edition - VVG Josytick Controller - $275.00 

Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Josytick Controller - $340.00 

Again this pricing has the caveats regarding donor costs, and shipping costs.  

On 11/15/2019 at 11:43 PM, doubledown said:

Well...not ColecoVision...but unveiling the CX2600 Edition 1-Button Atari 2600/8-Bit/7800 controllers:

Bat-Top:

QvvO2L.png

Ball Top:  

RsWss2.png

I am planning to make this a 2-button (7800 compatible) controller, but I'm waiting on the second set of buttons...

Depending on versatile you wanted it to be, you could make it a 3-button or even 6-button controller, with Sega Master System and Sega Genesis compatibility.  Some might not want all those extra buttons, of course, but at the very least if you add a second button for 7800 support, a little extra wiring and a switch somewhere could make for Sega Master System support.

Also be aware there are 2600 homebrews that use a second button on the Genesis controller, which could be worked in as well.

39 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

Depending on versatile you wanted it to be, you could make it a 3-button or even 6-button controller, with Sega Master System and Sega Genesis compatibility.  Some might not want all those extra buttons, of course, but at the very least if you add a second button for 7800 support, a little extra wiring and a switch somewhere could make for Sega Master System support.

Also be aware there are 2600 homebrews that use a second button on the Genesis controller, which could be worked in as well.

Agreed and understood.  I have a very little knowledge regarding newer Atari homebrews and re-programmed hacks that exist.  For me, I intend to use this simply with my XEGS (and occasionally my 2600) with old-school games.  I am adding the 2nd button for 7800 compatibility (it just arrived today), but to be honest, I'm not even sure if I currently own a 7800.  I know I've had a couple over the years that I modded and sold, but I don't remember if I ever got a replacement for myself.  

For me, I like the designing and the construction phases of making these controllers, and I have plans to make myself NES, SNES, N64, GC, SG-1000, SMS, and MD versions at some point.  I realize that there can be overlap with controller "x" being able to be used with another system (or systems), but I prefer the purpose-built/dedicated controller concept myself.  Additionally I am in no way marketing or selling this CX2600 version, I just thought I would show it off it here in my thread, but I didn't post it in any of the Atari sections offering them for sale.  The biggest reason is honestly the donor controller...there are only a finite number of them in the market place and there are too many other available Atari controllers for those who want one, for me to to use these for those.  Plus I've still got plenty of ColecoVision controller ideas left that I'll need them for.  

I appreciate the input and info though, thanks.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 2:52 AM, doubledown said:

Unveiling...the Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Joystick Controller:

Yx2vZz.png

GGOmku.png

So for those who want a Mouse Trap joystick controller, but don't want my full-sized Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Experience Controller, I came up with this as an alternative.  The key to this controller is the 8-pole, double throw switch on the right side of the controller housing.  When it's un-pressed (indicator cap is black), the 4 buttons are wired as standard SAC buttons, but when this button is pressed in (indicator cap is green), the 4 buttons are wired to the 5, 1, 2, & 3 keypad keys used in Mouse Trap for opening doors and transforming into a Dog.  I had a few thoughts and choices when I chose the buttons and their order and the likes and decided on this scenario:

I had 2 options for the button colors, 4 buttons color matched to the Mouse Trap arcade cabinet, or get 7 buttons, and mix and match the body colors and plunger colors.  The thought for this I had was to color-code the button bodies (outer rings) as the Super Action color scheme, and have the plungers as the Mouse Trap color scheme.  But when I played around with all of these extra colors it threw off the look of it's intended Mouse Trap scheme and I didn't care for it, so I went simply with the Mouse Trap color scheme.  And for the few SAC compatible games, I know the order of the buttons, I don't need to look at the button colors to know which button to press.

The other issue/concern I had was what order to wire the Mouse Trap buttons in.  In the arcade cabinet, and my Experience Controller, the joystick is on the right, and from left to right the buttons are Red, Yellow, and Blue, then down low and centered is the Green Dog button.  When you use a ColecoVision hand controller or Super Action controller for Mouse Trap, 1 is Red, 2 is Yellow, 3 is Blue.  Both of which put the order of the buttons from left to right Red, Yellow, Blue...so that's what I went with even though the joystick and buttons are flip-flopped from the arcade layout, and I placed the Green button as the most inward and downward button mimicking the arcade controls. 

The only other change I made from the arcade cabinet controls scheme (and I made this change after its initial build to my Experience Controller) was to install an 8-way octagonal gate on the joystick.  The original arcade game used a 4-way joystick, and that was how I originally built my Experience Controller.  But Mouse Trap doesn't have "cruise control" like say Pac-Man or Pepper II.  In Pac-Man you press left to send Pac-Man leftward, and he will continue to move left until he hits a wall, or you change directions with the joystick.  So you can send Pac-Man left, and any time before you get to a turn, you can press and hold the joystick in that direction, and when you get to the passage he will go that way.  Mouse Trap does not have "cruise control" like Pac-Man.  So unless you are holding left, the Mouse just sits there.  So you have to hold the joystick left to go left, then when you are exactly in line with the turn you want to make, you press the joystick in that direction.  But what you wouldn't know (unless you played the ColecoVision version of Mouse Trap with a 4-way joystick), is that it is very hard to stop exactly where you need to be to make a turn.  Once I found this issue, I tried the joystick's default 8-way square gate...which works...but if when holding one direction on the joystick it slides along the square gate's smooth side slightly into a corner, then you can turn when you didn't intend to.  As the octagonal gate has 8 mild corners that you can feel, it will help you hold any 1 direction truly without sliding into a corner forcing you to turn when you don't want to.  I generally find that I don't like the feel of 8-way octagonal gates, but in the case of Mouse Trap, I find it the best way to play.  So all that being said here are the components used:

Seimitsu LS-32 Joystick w/ Blue ball-knob and Kowal 8-way octagonal gate

(4) Ultimarc GoldLeaf pushbuttons, Green, Red, Yellow, & Blue

Edladdin Easy CV PCB w/ Keypad w/ custom ovelay

Custom CPO inspired by the original arcade cabinet

Start button wired as duplicate * button

8PDT Pushbutton switch to provide 2 unique wiring schemes for the 4 pushbuttons - Super Action scheme, and Mouse Trap scheme

Controller housing painted white to match the original arcade cabinet

Enjoy!

Love it!!!

I would have to have joystick on the right. Stick moved to the left on arcade games and later system so that right hand ( dominate hand for most people) could button mash faster. No need to button mash on early games, you needed dominate hand to control your character.

If you want the right stick version, than you want this one:

Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Experience Controller

Rvu95o.png

This new, Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Joystick Controller is smaller, less expensive, and compatible with most ColecoVision games, versus the purpose-built limited game compatible Experience Controller.

4 minutes ago, doubledown said:

If you want the right stick version, than you want this one:

Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Experience Controller

Rvu95o.png

This new, Mouse Trap Edition - VVG Joystick Controller is smaller, less expensive, and compatible with most ColecoVision games, versus the purpose-built limited game compatible Experience Controller.

Very sharp.

Ridiculous...overkill...and overbuilt, but I finished a cable set for a new Experience Controller I'm working on.   

D6YCfo.png

It honestly never occurred me until was about half-way finished with it, but this is the same cable set I'll need when I get around to the Turbo Edition and/or Expansion Module #2 Experience Controller(s).