doubledown

DOUBLEDOWN Custom ColecoVision Controllers

14 hours ago, doubledown said:

No problem...I'm trying to get all of the new ones out before the pre-order so that people can have the choice then, versus ordering 1 (which is available now), then I come out with something new later, and they wish they had that one instead.  Not to say that I'll ever stop making new designs...but just kind of my thought at this point.  

Looking forward to what's offered for a pre order!

5 minutes ago, Mr. John ColecoVision said:

Looking forward to what's offered for a pre order!

Me too...oh wait I can partially tell you now.  

You can look at my website HERE (also linked in my signature) to see what I've done thus far...mind you my website is just a Google site that I use as a portfolio, its not a web-store.  Pretty much anything I've made before I can/will offer with a few exceptions:

With this upcoming pre-order, I'm not looking to do any ColecoVision Hand Controllers (or Nintendo or Jaguar, to CV conversions)...maybe later, but not at this upcoming phase.  In the ColecoVision section of my site, pretty much anything in the Joystick / Grip / Enhanced / Experience controllers sections will be offered, with the exception of the models marked as "L"imited "E"ditions, such as the #2495 Display Editions.  The only other caveat is locating "donor" hardware in the cases of some of the controllers that use vintage arcade original controls or donor housings.  In these instances, the donor hardware needs to be found, and it's cost(s), will directly affect the price of the finished controller.  

Additionally, controllers I have listed in the Atari / Nintendo / Sega sections would be available too.  

Plus any new controllers I finish up between now, and when I start the pre-order phase would also be available.  

To give you some idea, if memory serves (from the last batch), and if donor housings are still available in the $50-ish range, I can tell you regarding say, the VVG Joystick Controllers:

Coleco Black

CollectorVision Phoenix

Super Action (Orange)

Super Action (Red)

...were in the $210 range

Q*bert

...was in the $225 range

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Junior

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

...were in the $275 range

Mouse Trap (Joystick controller...not the Experience controller)

...was in the $350 range

More info to come, along with more new controllers (as always), but if there is any 1 or 2 other specific controllers you were looking at, or thinking of, post it here, and I'll ball-park price it so that you have some idea.  

Also if anybody has some amazing idea for a controller that I haven't done yet (the more ridiculous/elaborate the better)...post that too...I'm always looking to outdo myself!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the list and info. I am most interested in Vanguard & Spy Hunter. That's if another Spy Hunter is feasible because it sounds like it has been more work than the other controllers perhaps?

Also, these are very exciting!

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Junior

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

I'd have to go back and "math up" Vanguard, but I wanna say (and don't quote me), that one is somewhere between $350-$400 ish.  

Spy Hunter is amazingly close to being finished (I mean really freaking close).  I assembled 98% of it last night but couldn't finish it because I lost a couple of pieces.  The enclosure for Spy Hunter is a steel industrial, NEMA rated housing, with a hinged door (which is the face that the controls are on).  I had to disassemble the latches and hinges from the door & enclosure body for machining, and painting...and apparently I lost the latches...because now I can't find them.  Literally everything else is done...I just need 2 stupid little quarter-turn latches to fill the 2 holes in the front door, and to button up the housing.  I ordered a replacement set today, which are supposedly in stock, and only about 120 miles away in Aurora, OH...so fingers crossed I get them in a couple of days so that I can unveil it.  Spy Hunter was a huge pain to engineer, but now that it done, it's replication can be "easy", albeit time consuming.  It can be offered as a "standard" or "deluxe" version...the deluxe version will include the gas & brake pedals, the standard version won't.  I will say that I am also extremely happy with the artwork on this one, and the unique shape of this enclosure (versus the others that I've used) allowed me for some new opportunities regarding the artwork, that I haven't previously been able to do.  I would really hope to get these replacement parts tomorrow, or Thursday, but I just have to wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

I'd have to go back and "math up" Vanguard, but I wanna say (and don't quote me), that one is somewhere between $350-$400 ish.  

Spy Hunter is amazingly close to being finished (I mean really freaking close).  I assembled 98% of it last night but couldn't finish it because I lost a couple of pieces.  The enclosure for Spy Hunter is a steel industrial, NEMA rated housing, with a hinged door (which is the face that the controls are on).  I had to disassemble the latches and hinges from the door & enclosure body for machining, and painting...and apparently I lost the latches...because now I can't find them.  Literally everything else is done...I just need 2 stupid little quarter-turn latches to fill the 2 holes in the front door, and to button up the housing.  I ordered a replacement set today, which are supposedly in stock, and only about 120 miles away in Aurora, OH...so fingers crossed I get them in a couple of days so that I can unveil it.  Spy Hunter was a huge pain to engineer, but now that it done, it's replication can be "easy", albeit time consuming.  It can be offered as a "standard" or "deluxe" version...the deluxe version will include the gas & brake pedals, the standard version won't.  I will say that I am also extremely happy with the artwork on this one, and the unique shape of this enclosure (versus the others that I've used) allowed me for some new opportunities regarding the artwork, that I haven't previously been able to do.  I would really hope to get these replacement parts tomorrow, or Thursday, but I just have to wait.

If I could like and be sad about this post I would haha. Like that Spy Hunter is almost done as it sounds super cool and sad that it is delayed due to lost parts.

Tell me about it.  I got the paint buffed out after work at a buddies house, went back to work for assembly, got the CPO artwork and all the the other hardware installed, then when looking for the latches and hinges...couldn't find the latches.  I looked for probably 20 minutes, and then another 10 or 15 minutes at home (on the off chance they were there) and no luck.  Sucks to pay $20 for replacement parts I shouldn't need, but such is life I guess.  The only saving grace (if things work out) is that they're "in stock", and the company is only a few hours away in the same state so shipping should be quick.  I'll check tomorrow to see if they provided a tracking number to find out if I'll get them tomorrow, Thursday, possibly Friday, or after the holiday weekend (worst case scenario).  So stay tuned to be amazed!  I promise its worth the wait...at least it will be to the kid in all of us who would have killed to play Spy Hunter with a steering yoke at their house, versus my personal childhood experience of using a WICO Command Control (bat handle) on my cousin's C-64.  I never actually played the ColecoVision port of Spy Hunter as a kid...the 2 friends who had ColecoVisions didn't have it apparently. 

• Like 1

Potentially amazing news, Spy Hunter & ColecoVision fans...I received my enclosure's replacement latches today.  Unfortunately its been so long since I removed them, I don't remember what the original ones looked like exactly, so I won't be able to verify that they're the correct ones until I get home after work.  So maybe the unveil is tonight...maybe not...stay tuned!

• Like 1

No this one's not for the ColecoVision...but I figured I might as well post it here in my thread so they're all here in one place.  

Unveiling my: Gaplus Edition - VVG Experience Controller (PS1/PS2)

YoK6Wk.png

Gaplus (or Galaga 3)...was the sequel to Galaga, and thus the 2nd sequel to Galaxian.  When I found this game in Mame years and years ago...I never much cared for it.  I certainly wan't any good at it, and while it is the sequel to my favorite game Galaga and the gameplay is "similar"...it was just too radically different for my tastes (keep in mind I was playing Mame games with a keyboard in those days).  Fast forward to about 3 months ago when I'm "stuck" at home due to the statewide lockdown...for something "new", I started looking into the many arcade compilation titles available for the PS1 & PS2.  I found them all available on ebay, including Namco Museum Vol. 2...which features Gaplus as one of the 6 included games.  So I decided to give it another chance, and no surprise...I still sucked at it...honestly, I was lucky to get 40,000 per game.  Living in the information age we exist in, I started looking up some info online regarding strategy, and was trying to figure out any tips or tricks I hadn't quite got a handle on yet.  After finding some good information, including a few very helpful tricks, I gave it another shot...and voila, a few things clicked...and I was getting better.  So I decided I'd built myself a proper controller for it...to further my mastery of this vastly underappreciated game, my current high score is now at 505,500.  FYI, due to the 8-way movement required in the game...attempting to play this game with anything other than a quality 8-way joystick...is an exercise in absolute futility!  

Built into a Hammond Mfg. flat-topped enclosure and featuring:

Bally/Midway 8-way, leaf-switch, red ball-knob joystick...a vintage arcade original, sourced and refurbished...and the same as was found in the original cabinets

Four-piece arcade, leaf-switch push-button, Red...wired to the X button (for in-game firing) (adjusted for a very short throw...and trip-wire sensitivity)

Four-piece arcade, leaf-switch push-buttons (2), White...wired to the Select & Start buttons (for in-game and menu navigation)

Switchcraft, chrome bezel, push-buttons (4), Red...wired to the Square, X, Circle & Triangle buttons (for menu navigation/selections)

As a PlayStation 1 & 2 controller, with an 8-way joystick, and 1 button...it can be used with a bunch of the vintage games on the available compilation titles, and the hardware/controls are "arcade-accurate" for Gaplus and also Bosconian (which is on Namco Museum Vol. 1). 

By-the-by the donor PCB I used for this controller was pulled from a HORI, PS2 Virtua Fighter Evolution arcade stick I had from way back:

m5eyYW.jpg

...versus pad-hacking a Dual-Shock controller.  This was mainly done because the HORI PCB is larger and a lot easier to wire to...plus now I can use this donor housing for a custom controller...maybe for the ColecoVision...who knows.  

My current plan is to create 1 custom controller for each of "The Galaxian 5" (play on words...like The Jackson 5)...Galaxian, Galaga, Gaplus, Galaga '88, and Galaga Arrangement.  I figured I'd "George Lucas" this...and start in the middle here with Gaplus.  But as there are ports of Galaxian and Galaga for the ColecoVision and of course some of the Ataris...this may be relevant to some of you.  While the initial ones I'll be making will be for me...for the PlayStation consoles, once completed, the Galaxian and Galaga versions could be reproduced for the ColecoVision, for anybody interested...so stay tuned for those at some point here in the future.