doubledown

DOUBLEDOWN Custom ColecoVision Controllers

Well I've got about a hundred disc knobs, and controller cords, but not really many spare joystick shafts.  I've probably got a few laying around, but every once in a while when rebuilding a controller, I need spare parts due to damage, so I like to keep those bits around.  There are plenty of controllers on ebay for spares obviously.  

46 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Well I've got about a hundred disc knobs, and controller cords, but not really many spare joystick shafts.  I've probably got a few laying around, but every once in a while when rebuilding a controller, I need spare parts due to damage, so I like to keep those bits around.  There are plenty of controllers on ebay for spares obviously.  

OK, no problem.  Thank anyway...

Just as one last reminder, the themed Coleco hand controllers and Spectravideo SV-103 controllers that I have available are still accepting offers untill 10:05 PM eastern time tonight:

As of now these all 6 of these are 1 of a kind customs, and possibly/probably won't be made again due to dye availability.  Only the Carnival controller and Buck Rogers SV-103 use standard colors of dye which would allow for easy (low order number) reproductions.  

Unveiling the inevitable...Super Action Edition Super Arcade Controller:

GQbo2E.jpg

If you feel like I've made a mistake, perhaps you'd prefer this:

O9shbo.jpg

But allow me to educate the uneducated (those whom don't read instruction manuals).  Here are the 14 instances mentioning the colors of the SAC buttons from the 7 games that made use of them (please note my highlighted sections):

Zshtl6.png

The fact is only Super Action Football (U.S. Football) calls the 2nd SAC button red, its referred to as orange in every other game, and there is no mention of colors in the actual manual for the SACs.  I will grant that the actual "orange" SAC button is a very red-shade orange, or a lightly orange-shade red, so the 2nd picture, the red button variant, actually looks closer, but is kind of wrong.  Regardless, of opinion or semantics, when I offer this edition for sale I will allow the buyer to select if they want the textually correct "orange edition", or the more visually correct "red edition."

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Unveiling the Limited Edition (only 2 will be made) - #2495 Display Edition - VVG Joystick Controller:

zwBOof.jpg

Based on the ColecoVision kiosk:

ikUpe0.png

Theme features:

* White outlined ColecoVision logo marquee

* "The Arcade Quality Video Game System" tag line text

* CPO features ColecoVision Console/Donkey Kong instructions and artwork (re-created from the original which I use to possess)

* Red ball-top joystick w/chrome shaft

* Red "left" button (concave)

* Green "right button (concave)

* 12 button keypad overlay modeled after the original

As there are only 2 known, near complete, ColecoVision kiosk displays, this edition will be limited to a quantity of 2, and I am keeping this one as my joystick controller.  

• Like 1

Unveiling...the Zaxxon Edition - VVG Grip Controller

uUH2Is.jpg

7gamFz.jpg

6Acg34.jpg

H52ddY.jpg

mrHCQX.jpg

So wanting to make a Zaxxon edition joystick controller I needed some kind of pistol grip joystick.  I looked at a couple of options for adding a pistol grip to a new Seimitsu or Sanwa joystick, but all of those joysticks can spin which means the pistol grip will rotate out of proper orientation.  As I was searching ebay for some other controllers I came across the Sega Saturn Twin Stick controller, which I happen to own one of.  

rxqLyD.jpg

So I found it, tore it apart, and realized I could make it work.  I removed the 2nd joystick, added 2 buttons and a 12 button keypad, then painted the housing and grip black like the Zaxxon arcade cabinet.  I left the joystick's finger activated trigger button intact as a alternate Fire button, like the Zaxxon arcade cabinet, but I deleted the thumb button's functionality.  So we have a Zaxxon themed pistol grip 8-way joystick, with 2 buttons (plus alternate left fire button wired to trigger), and a 12 button keypad, compatible with most ColecoVision games.  

Enjoy.

1 hour ago, TPR said:

Oh man, that Zaxxon one is great!

Thanks, it really is.  The more I look at it, the more I like it. 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:56 PM, doubledown said:

Unveiling the Limited Edition (only 2 will be made) - #2495 Display Edition - VVG Joystick Controller:

zwBOof.jpg

Based on the ColecoVision kiosk:

ikUpe0.png

Theme features:

* White outlined ColecoVision logo marquee

* "The Arcade Quality Video Game System" tag line text

* CPO features ColecoVision Console/Donkey Kong instructions and artwork (re-created from the original which I use to possess)

* Red ball-top joystick w/chrome shaft

* Red "left" button (concave)

* Green "right button (concave)

* 12 button keypad overlay modeled after the original

As there are only 2 known, near complete, ColecoVision kiosk displays, this edition will be limited to a quantity of 2, and I am keeping this one as my joystick controller.  

Love this one!

Did you scanned some parts of the POP Kiosk?
Would love to have scans of it :)

I have scans of the CPO and the assembly instruction manual.  The posters and doors were too big for me to scan, and as I was never going to "rebuild" a clone I never looked into having them scanned. 

19 hours ago, doubledown said:

I have scans of the CPO and the assembly instruction manual.  The posters and doors were too big for me to scan, and as I was never going to "rebuild" a clone I never looked into having them scanned. 

I would be interested in archiving those if don't mind sending them to me

With the blessing of J-F, and the use of the CollectorVision Phoenix artwork files, I present you with...

the CollectorVision Phoenix Edition - VVG Joystick Controller

xcqRXF.jpg

Featuring:

Seimitsu LS-32 black ball-knob joystick controller (8-way / 4-way / 2-way configurable)

(2) Dark Gray Sanwa OBSFS "Silent" pushbuttons

Eladdin CV I/O board w/Keypad

and additionally, the controller's original "Start" button was dyed dark gray, and is wired as a duplicate * keypad key, for restarting ColecoVision games, after your game has ended

Enjoy!

I've started an official pre-order / purchase thread for my new ColecoVision Joystick & Grip controllers previously unveiled in this thread:

LINK

On 9/6/2019 at 6:50 PM, doubledown said:

With the blessing of J-F, and the use of the CollectorVision Phoenix artwork files, I present you with...

the CollectorVision Phoenix Edition - VVG Joystick Controller

xcqRXF.jpg

Featuring:

Seimitsu LS-32 black ball-knob joystick controller (8-way / 4-way / 2-way configurable)

(2) Dark Gray Sanwa OBSFS "Silent" pushbuttons

Eladdin CV I/O board w/Keypad

and additionally, the controller's original "Start" button was dyed dark gray, and is wired as a duplicate * keypad key, for restarting ColecoVision games, after your game has ended

Enjoy!

This is my first time in this forum thing. How do I get one of these controllers?

1 hour ago, KTRA said:

This is my first time in this forum thing. How do I get one of these controllers?

Welcome.  I've started a pre-order/purchase thread for the available models & and editions of these controllers:

HERE

Read through the details in the first post, then if you're interested post a reply in that thread.

FYI...if anybody is interested in a 2 player VVG Joystick Controller for their ColecoVision here is the donor we need (and I would love to make it):

PBsrXt.jpg

Its the Sega Saturn HSS-0130, but unfortunately the least expensive one on ebay is about $425.00 USD for just the donor.  A few have mentioned the idea of me making a dual themed controller with DK/DKJ or PM/MPM, this is the size of controller I'd need for it.  This isn't a project I'm jumping into right now, but just know the possibility is there.  Would probably end up costing about $750 or so when all said in done...feel free to ponder the idea, and the possibilities!