IGNORED

Has anybody made a test point adaptor for Pbox card, sidecar, or cartridge port?

FarmerPotato

Has anybody made (for sale)  a  test point adaptor for Pbox card, sidecar, or cartridge port?

I've seen pictures of a Pbox card riser with a card on top.

Ideally there would be a row of pin headers to attach probes to, so that you can watch the bus without adding test points for all the common signals to hardware under development.

I drew up a PCB for the cartridge port, 3" long and 2" wide (just a bit wider than the 2x18 card edge.) It takes a 2x18 header for test leads, and a pass-thru 4A cartridge port (either pointing up, or reuse the right angle adaptor.)

I'm kind of balking at the fab cost which is the same as a regular cartridge run. 

Ideas to make it more useful would be to squeeze in some pads for GROM, EPROM, bank latch, and maybe even a tiny prototype area. So it becomes both a cartridge debugger AND an experimenter board.

Test points board. 50mm wide x 75 mm long.

||||||||||||||| 
-|||||||||||||||-
|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||
|***************|  test point 
|***************|  headers
|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||
|@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@|  cartridge port
\@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@/  pass-thru

Experimenter add-on board. 50mm wide x 100mm long.

||||||||||||||| 
-|||||||||||||||-
|               |
|LLLLLL  GGGGGG |   LATCH and GROM socket
|LLLLLL  GGGGGG |
|               |
|RRRRRRRRR      |   EPROM  socket
|RRRRRRRRR      |
|RRRRRRRRR      |
|               |
|***************|  breakout all pins
|***************|  in rational order
|...............|  protoboard
|...............|
|...............|
.               .
|...............|
|...............|
|...............|

Two boards can be panelized in a 100x100mm job ($16.95 at dirtypcbs.com), two for the price of one.

Here's another inspiration for an experimenter board:

https://store.digilentinc.com/breadboard-expansion-with-mxp-connectors-for-ni-myrio/

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Has anybody made (for sale)  a  test point adaptor for Pbox card, sidecar, or cartridge port?

I've seen pictures of a Pbox card riser with a card on top.

Ideally there would be a row of pin headers to attach probes to, so that you can watch the bus without adding test points for all the common signals to hardware under development.

I drew up a PCB for the cartridge port, 3" long and 2" wide (just a bit wider than the 2x18 card edge.) It takes a 2x18 header for test leads, and a pass-thru 4A cartridge port (either pointing up, or reuse the right angle adaptor.)

I'm kind of balking at the fab cost which is the same as a regular cartridge run. 

Ideas to make it more useful would be to squeeze in some pads for GROM, EPROM, bank latch, and maybe even a tiny prototype area. So it becomes both a cartridge debugger AND an experimenter board.

https://store.digilentinc.com/breadboard-expansion-with-mxp-connectors-for-ni-myrio/

There was a basic one a while back @ OSH Park w/o a pass-through. Still expensive, imo.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/AJqKJwMn

• Like 2

I recently sold the last one of these I had hiding in my spare parts boxes a couple of months ago. I made 20 of them based on the expressed community need back then. I'd have to have about ten more people looking for them to make another run of them economical (I have enough of the connectors, so that part isn't a problem).

• Like 5

On 7/16/2019 at 5:32 PM, Ksarul said:

I recently sold the last one of these I had hiding in my spare parts boxes a couple of months ago. I made 20 of them based on the expressed community need back then. I'd have to have about ten more people looking for them to make another run of them economical (I have enough of the connectors, so that part isn't a problem).

Me too on the waitlist for 1. 

I'm not in a hurry. I'm currently working on side port and cartridge port. No immediate plans for Pbox.