IGNORED

ADAM dev. ver. 1 of Mathemagician's Quest found

NIAD

31 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Data Packs can be sourced from numerous people. Bob Slopsema/ADAMcon could probably supply enough original DDPs to be reused or William Hicks/MilliV can make brand new DDPs using his Tape Duplicator.

Mystery Man was just the first name to pop into my head seeing the incredible job that he did in the past with the ADAM Super Games conversions to cartridge format and adding title screens and the sound code into the original Joust prototype. I'm sure he is pretty busy with all the work he is doing for Team Pixelboy, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well, the 30th Ann. ship has sailed, but there is always the 37th Ann. (2020) seeing as I wouldn't want to see this drag out until the 40th Ann. (2023) !!!

Thanks for sharing the box artwork.

Sounds like a plan ;) :)
Worst case scenario is we would do it for ADAM only, in case a cartridge version is not possible

After further game play, err testing...

Two player games work and even though it' an educational game, it's actually pretty fun game design especially if two people play and you race against one another to exit the final gate. Each player can choose their own skill level.

There are 4 areas (Pond, Prairie, Forest and Town) that you have to hop your way thru and each area is two screen wide. As was mentioned previously, you need to pickup the white key in the first three areas in order to open the gate and then the gold key to open the final gate to exit the town and win.

I put together a "dirty" overlay to help others with playing the game that is attached below.

I do not know what the | symbol that is offset down a little does, it is displayed when one presses the Purple firebutton on a Super Action Controller after the = symbol in the equation... anyone have an idea?

20200114_211955.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

Math Quest is now running on the ColecoVision / Phoenix ;) 

WTF!!! ?

1. So either a programmer is working on converting this ADAM software title to CV rom format

OR

2. An ADAM core is actively being developed that is much more advanced than available software emulators like ADAMem seeing as it does not have a problem loading the custom version of CP/M that the game was supplied on.

I'll go with #1. By the way, stop being so secretive all the time... there is a place for that already within the CollectorVision Club!

15 minutes ago, NIAD said:

WTF!!! ?

1. So either a programmer is working on converting this ADAM software title to CV rom format

OR

2. An ADAM core is actively being developed that is much more advanced than available software emulators like ADAMem seeing as it does not have a problem loading the custom version of CP/M that the game was supplied on.

I'll go with #1. By the way, stop being so secretive all the time... there is a place for that already within the CollectorVision Club!

The day the game has been shared, I've immediately asked one of our programmers to convert the game to cartridge version.

I own the box artwork for years now, and I'll always been facinated by it (the artwork look great!) 
We're going to scan it in high resolution so we can use the exact same artwork.

Now the goal is to release the game on both DDP and Cartridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the game description: 

MATH QUEST
The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both turned into frogs!
Now they must head for the castle to get the magic antidote.
Unfortunately, there's enough magic for only one frog!
Players move their frogs by combining numbers into mathematical equations. 
The value of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve game strategy!
Ages 8-Adult                                                         #7845 ADAM™ Digital Data Pack 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 12:25 AM, retroillucid said:

Here's the game description: 

MATH QUEST
The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both turned into frogs!
Unfortunately, there's enough magic for only one frog!
The value of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve game strategy!
Ages 8-Adult                                                         #7845 ADAM™ Digital Data Pack 

I can't help myself, got to suggest some corrections to the English (changes in bold):

MATH QUEST
The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both been turned into frogs!
Unfortunately, there's only enough antidote for only one frog!
The result of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve their game strategy!

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I can't help myself, got to suggest some corrections to the English (changes in bold):

The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both been turned into frogs!
Unfortunately, there's only enough antidote for only one frog!
The result of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve their game strategy!

None of the suggested edits are necessary in terms of grammatical correctness. The substitutions of "antidote" for "magic" and "result" for "value" do strike me as improved word choices, though. Having not played the game, I cannot say whether it would be better to say that numbers are "arranged" into equations rather than "combined".

Guess I couldn't help myself, either. :)

Edited by mumbai
parenthetical

37 minutes ago, mumbai said:

Guess I couldn't help myself, either. :)

Or reworked for early readers (given the age range), it all boils down into something like this while retaining multiple exclamations typical of '80s box copy:

The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired--both have turned into frogs! Now they must hop to the castle to get the magic antidote. Unfortunately, there is enough for only one! Players arrange numbers into mathematical equations to move the frogs. The result [of each equation] determines how far. A built-in "coach" helps players improve game strategy!

One thing that came to me on my way home.  I think you could do this without the SGM since you're using cartridge.  I understand that the ADAM software comes on floppy or tape, which requires to load to RAM first and then run.  Since with cartridge, the data's there on the Colecovision's memory map 32KB.  The graphic doesn't seem to take up a lot of space plus, you can upload the graphic from ROM to VRAM either by bios put_vram routine. Just my thought.

Well, I do have the SGM so what am I complaining about?  ;)

I really dig the developer's game play idea and really like how the graphics looks. 

16 hours ago, Kiwi said:

One thing that came to me on my way home.  I think you could do this without the SGM since you're using cartridge.  I understand that the ADAM software comes on floppy or tape, which requires to load to RAM first and then run.  Since with cartridge, the data's there on the Colecovision's memory map 32KB.  The graphic doesn't seem to take up a lot of space plus, you can upload the graphic from ROM to VRAM either by bios put_vram routine. Just my thought.

Well, I do have the SGM so what am I complaining about?  ;)

I really dig the developer's game play idea and really like how the graphics looks. 

You're right, It could've worked on a plain vanilla ColecoVision if programmed from scratch.
However, the game was written with ADAM specs in mind, so the programmer didn't attempt to save memory.

As a result, the game uses 4K or ram. 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, pedalpowered said:

Will this cart not work on the Adam without the SGM, then? The website says it requires an SGM. I assume a physical or virtual DDP or DSK Adam release is not planned? I've got an Adam, but not an SGM.

It should work on the ADAM without the need for the Opcode SGM seeing as the ADAM already provides the additional RAM and the game uses the ADAM's sound chip.

I do not own the game to test and verify 100%, so hopefully someone who does can chime in.

• 7 months later...