Jump to content
NIAD

ADAM dev. ver. 1 of Mathemagician's Quest found

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Data Packs can be sourced from numerous people. Bob Slopsema/ADAMcon could probably supply enough original DDPs to be reused or William Hicks/MilliV can make brand new DDPs using his Tape Duplicator.

 

Mystery Man was just the first name to pop into my head seeing the incredible job that he did in the past with the ADAM Super Games conversions to cartridge format and adding title screens and the sound code into the original Joust prototype. I'm sure he is pretty busy with all the work he is doing for Team Pixelboy, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well, the 30th Ann. ship has sailed, but there is always the 37th Ann. (2020) seeing as I wouldn't want to see this drag out until the 40th Ann. (2023) !!!

 

Thanks for sharing the box artwork.

 

Sounds like a plan ;) :)
Worst case scenario is we would do it for ADAM only, in case a cartridge version is not possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After further game play, err testing...

 

Two player games work and even though it' an educational game, it's actually pretty fun game design especially if two people play and you race against one another to exit the final gate. Each player can choose their own skill level.

 

There are 4 areas (Pond, Prairie, Forest and Town) that you have to hop your way thru and each area is two screen wide. As was mentioned previously, you need to pickup the white key in the first three areas in order to open the gate and then the gold key to open the final gate to exit the town and win.

 

I put together a "dirty" overlay to help others with playing the game that is attached below.

 

I do not know what the | symbol that is offset down a little does, it is displayed when one presses the Purple firebutton on a Super Action Controller after the = symbol in the equation... anyone have an idea?

20200114_211955.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

Math Quest is now running on the ColecoVision / Phoenix ;) 

 

WTF!!! 😍

 

1. So either a programmer is working on converting this ADAM software title to CV rom format

 

OR

 

2. An ADAM core is actively being developed that is much more advanced than available software emulators like ADAMem seeing as it does not have a problem loading the custom version of CP/M that the game was supplied on.

 

I'll go with #1. By the way, stop being so secretive all the time... there is a place for that already within the CollectorVision Club!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NIAD said:

WTF!!! 😍

 

1. So either a programmer is working on converting this ADAM software title to CV rom format

 

OR

 

2. An ADAM core is actively being developed that is much more advanced than available software emulators like ADAMem seeing as it does not have a problem loading the custom version of CP/M that the game was supplied on.

 

I'll go with #1. By the way, stop being so secretive all the time... there is a place for that already within the CollectorVision Club!

 

 

The day the game has been shared, I've immediately asked one of our programmers to convert the game to cartridge version.


I own the box artwork for years now, and I'll always been facinated by it (the artwork look great!) 
We're going to scan it in high resolution so we can use the exact same artwork.

Now the goal is to release the game on both DDP and Cartridge.
  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should supply the finished CIB with my 🤗 beautiful 🤗 overlay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NIAD said:

You should supply the finished CIB with my 🤗 beautiful 🤗 overlay!

The overlay you did is going to help me alot, so thanks for that! :)

I'm currently doing the overlay for it (mockup for Crapahute) 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the game description: 

MATH QUEST
The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both turned into frogs!
Now they must head for the castle to get the magic antidote.
Unfortunately, there's enough magic for only one frog!
Players move their frogs by combining numbers into mathematical equations. 
The value of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve game strategy!
Ages 8-Adult                                                         #7845 ADAM™ Digital Data Pack 
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game appear to be complete.

We're going to test the other modes, the ones with parenthesis.


We've also replaced the title screen to a proper one, using the same logo/font from the original boxart.

Math Quest Title Screen.png

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another little update regarding Math Quest (for ColecoVision)

A few bugs have been solved:
 

- Dangling number at leftmost column

- Couldn't show example of division

- Grammar correction USFUL -> USEFUL

 

Also, both Beginner and Intermediate Modes are tested
We only need to test the Expert Mode

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 12:25 AM, retroillucid said:

Here's the game description: 

MATH QUEST
The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both turned into frogs!
Now they must head for the castle to get the magic antidote.
Unfortunately, there's enough magic for only one frog!
Players move their frogs by combining numbers into mathematical equations. 
The value of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve game strategy!
Ages 8-Adult                                                         #7845 ADAM™ Digital Data Pack 
 

 

I can't help myself, got to suggest some corrections to the English (changes in bold):

 

MATH QUEST
The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both been turned into frogs!
Now they must head for the castle to get the magic antidote.
Unfortunately, there's only enough antidote for only one frog!
Players move their frogs by combining numbers into mathematical equations. 
The result of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve their game strategy!
Ages 8-Adult                                                         #7845 ADAM™ Digital Data Pack 

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I can't help myself, got to suggest some corrections to the English (changes in bold):

 

The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired and they've both been turned into frogs!
Now they must head for the castle to get the magic antidote.
Unfortunately, there's only enough antidote for only one frog!
Players move their frogs by combining numbers into mathematical equations. 
The result of an equation determines how far a frog moves.
There's even a built-in ''coach'' to help players improve their game strategy!

None of the suggested edits are necessary in terms of grammatical correctness. The substitutions of "antidote" for "magic" and "result" for "value" do strike me as improved word choices, though. Having not played the game, I cannot say whether it would be better to say that numbers are "arranged" into equations rather than "combined".

 

Guess I couldn't help myself, either. :)

 

Edited by mumbai
parenthetical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mumbai said:

Guess I couldn't help myself, either. :)

Or reworked for early readers (given the age range), it all boils down into something like this while retaining multiple exclamations typical of '80s box copy:

 

The Royal Mathemagicians' experiment backfired--both have turned into frogs! Now they must hop to the castle to get the magic antidote. Unfortunately, there is enough for only one! Players arrange numbers into mathematical equations to move the frogs. The result [of each equation] determines how far. A built-in "coach" helps players improve game strategy!
 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

 

I can't help myself, got to suggest some corrections to the English (changes in bold):

 

I didn't write it myself 
The description is from Coleco 

 

Math Quest description1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

I didn't write it myself 
The description is from Coleco 

 

Math Quest description1.png

Fair enough.  Best to leave it alone then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that came to me on my way home.  I think you could do this without the SGM since you're using cartridge.  I understand that the ADAM software comes on floppy or tape, which requires to load to RAM first and then run.  Since with cartridge, the data's there on the Colecovision's memory map 32KB.  The graphic doesn't seem to take up a lot of space plus, you can upload the graphic from ROM to VRAM either by bios put_vram routine. Just my thought.

Well, I do have the SGM so what am I complaining about?  ;)

I really dig the developer's game play idea and really like how the graphics looks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kiwi said:

One thing that came to me on my way home.  I think you could do this without the SGM since you're using cartridge.  I understand that the ADAM software comes on floppy or tape, which requires to load to RAM first and then run.  Since with cartridge, the data's there on the Colecovision's memory map 32KB.  The graphic doesn't seem to take up a lot of space plus, you can upload the graphic from ROM to VRAM either by bios put_vram routine. Just my thought.

Well, I do have the SGM so what am I complaining about?  ;)

I really dig the developer's game play idea and really like how the graphics looks. 

You're right, It could've worked on a plain vanilla ColecoVision if programmed from scratch.
However, the game was written with ADAM specs in mind, so the programmer didn't attempt to save memory.

As a result, the game uses 4K or ram. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...