I originally posted this on FaceBook but since many here don't like social media I will cross post it - some of it applies here:

Morning all - serious question - am I wasting my time with adamarchive.org? The reason I ask is nobody is uploading anything to it (ok - I had 3 uploads because I asked). When new disk or data images are found, new scans are made or if you just want to contribute it takes all of 1 second to go there, click on the uploads and upload it - no registration required, no email - no nothing. So much simpler than putting things on here for no one to be able to use. So I ask - is the site a waste of time and money? I can tell it is getting used, over a 25,000 hits this month - the largest amount of traffic being the CP/M folder - but only 3 uploads :(

Milli

(Don't traffic on Facebook, so this is news to me...)

I guess I don't understand the question w/r/t time-wasting at first glance. I had taken the primary purpose of the site as making ADAM software accessible to others. Granted, I haven't plumbed the depths of what's there now, but is it possible there are few contributions made thus far because the bulk of it is already available there?

It's also unclear to me where the "here" is that people put things on rather than post them to adamarchive.org ... Facebook? AtariAge? Elsewhere? I assume you're scooping those materials up and placing them on your site manually (maybe not), so I don't know whether the problem is lack of input or lack of interest on the part of others to cross-post to your site without your direct intervention.

Or am I missing some larger issue?

1 hour ago, mumbai said:

(Don't traffic on Facebook, so this is news to me...)

I guess I don't understand the question w/r/t time-wasting at first glance. I had taken the primary purpose of the site as making ADAM software accessible to others. Granted, I haven't plumbed the depths of what's there now, but is it possible there are few contributions made thus far because the bulk of it is already available there?

It's also unclear to me where the "here" is that people put things on rather than post them to adamarchive.org ... Facebook? AtariAge? Elsewhere? I assume you're scooping those materials up and placing them on your site manually (maybe not), so I don't know whether the problem is lack of input or lack of interest on the part of others to cross-post to your site without your direct intervention.

Or am I missing some larger issue?

HI - as I said it was a cross post from facebook so the relevant parts about "here" etc is for facebook but it also would be of interest to those here since am not sure if many Adam users on here are aware of the things that is being posted on facebook, the new software etc unless someone comes along (like NIAD) to cross post it here.

As for uploading to the archive - it is just that, an archive - if Adam users have software they have written - upload it - it is not a commercial games depository :)

Milli

1 hour ago, Milli Vee said:

[T]he relevant parts about "here" etc is for facebook but it also would be of interest to those here[.]

As for uploading to the archive - it is just that, an archive - if Adam users have software they have written - upload it[.]

I see. If its purpose is to serve as an archive, is the question whether it's not needed given the lack of direct submissions?

What I'm trying to wrap my mind around is the basis for your sense it might be a waste of your time/resources/whatever. Is there a target submission or usage rate that you feel warrants continuing with the site? Or is this a gentle reminder that the site as such exists? :)

6 hours ago, mumbai said:

I see. If its purpose is to serve as an archive, is the question whether it's not needed given the lack of direct submissions?

What I'm trying to wrap my mind around is the basis for your sense it might be a waste of your time/resources/whatever. Is there a target submission or usage rate that you feel warrants continuing with the site? Or is this a gentle reminder that the site as such exists? :)

In simplest terms - it is a very simple place full of a lot of software and stuff for the Adam user and my point was - I guess I didn't make it very clear - instead of uploading software to facebook (and here) where it is not readily available or organized in anyway that the archive should be used.

49 minutes ago, Milli Vee said:

In simplest terms [...] instead of uploading software to facebook (and here) [...] the archive should be used.

No, I got that. The point I don't think I made clear is that opening with (and reiterating) "am I wasting my time here?" signals something else entirely.

I have never uploaded anything, or even downloaded, but I really appreciate the fact that someone is preserving important information someplace besides FB, which I don't trust.

many here don't facebook etc.

Maybe a pinned topic or subforum so it's easy to find for new comers etc.

I got a bunch of adam tapes too I might need to look through to see if there is anything you don't already have. I've never made a digital backup of one that might be interesting to try.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:37 AM, Milli Vee said:

am I wasting my time with adamarchive.org?

No.  Your archive is a valuable resource.  Please don't give up.