IGNORED

Totally Random - Sierra Online's Crossfire

robcatron

So I know this is totally random, but I have been just infatuated with Crossfire as of late.  I really enjoyed it back in the day, the first time around, but I have discovered something that I find interesting.

So it appears that there was two versions of this game released.  I have the game boxed (8Kb Cartridge by Chris Iden) in the SierraVision release.  Also have it on one my my custom XE multcart Sierra Collection (which is the same 8Kb Iden version).   The Cart version is clearly a version designed from scratch for the 8-bit - easily by the type of colors/sprites/etc used.

Like a few other games originally ported from the Apple II, the disk version that I just happened to boot up and play last week is totally different. It's not an original retail release, but a copy - I'd LOVE to have a boxed Disk version if someone has one to sell/trade).  The disk version (and I am assuming cassette version) uses Graphics Mode 8 hi-res artifacted graphics (like many early broderbund/Sirius/On-line games).  I would also assume it is at least 32Kb version due to the graphics mode used.  I actually like the look of the disk version - the enemies look a little cooler.  I find it much easier as well (I can hit 20k points pretty easily, whereas the cart version - hitting 15k is quite a challenge)

Anyone know the history of this game?  It looks like Atarimania only has the cart version listed.  

Any info about this fun little game would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

• Like 1

Atarionline.pl has several versions:

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=C&tg=Crossfire#Crossfire

Most use graphics 8 meant for NTSC artifacting but this one uses graphics 7:

Crossfire (1981)(Sierra On-Line)(US)[!].car

Is that the difference you're seeing?

Edited by Xuel
graphics 15 -> graphics 7

1 hour ago, Xuel said:

Atarionline.pl has several versions:

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=C&tg=Crossfire#Crossfire

Most use graphics 8 meant for NTSC artifacting but this one uses graphics 7:

Crossfire (1981)(Sierra On-Line)(US)[!].car

Is that the difference you're seeing?

Looks like a CAR file is a cart file?  So I am guessing by the the 9Kb file size that it is the 8Kb Cartridge (non artifacted) version, but I don't use emulators/etc so can't do anything with the file.

I did pick up a boxed 40kn Disk version on eBay today (the only disk version listed).  By the screenshots on the back of the box, the 40Kb version is the Apple II port.

14 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Screenshots from Fandal's page here: Crossfire colour vs. b/w

Think the colour version = cart version and the b/w version = disk version...

That is correct.  B&W I suppose because maybe it was on a s-Video monitor (as it is artifacted 4 color on composite/RF).  My guess is that there was just no way to get the original release on a 8Kb cart, so it too a total, or near total rewrite.  The boxed disk version I just purchased says, "40Kb Diskette" on the label.

Thanks again

On 7/17/2019 at 5:57 AM, robcatron said:

So it appears that there was two versions of this game released.  I have the game boxed (8Kb Cartridge by Chris Iden) in the SierraVision release.

There is a blast from the past! Chris Iden! He used to work with my dad at the local regional phone company in Oakhurst, CA before he started working for Sierra Online. I remember when he used to come over to our house and give me programming lessons on my Atari 800 back in the early 80's.  I went to school with his kids for years.  Cool guy who taught me a lot. I think he still lives in the area, I believe North Fork, CA.  I loved that game as well.  I still have a couple of original disk's for my A800.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

If not covered already, Chris sounds like a good candidate for having a chat with the Atari Podcast team  @Savetz

Greetings Warthchild,

I am sorry I could not PM you so I am writing this message to you in this thread

I would like to pay a coder to code the 3D Terrain Engine of the Atari Version of Koronis Rift

I do not need the game sprites or other graphics

I just want the 3D Terrain Engine

May I please kindly ask if you would like to accept this task ?

Hope to hear from you soon

Thank you very much for your time and kind help

Kind Regards as Always

David Bowman

19 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

No release missing, we have all three listed - ROM, tape, disk - with appropriate screenshots: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-crossfire_1420.html

Thank you!  I see now - you have to scroll through the screenshots to see the different versions.  I assumed that since they are quite different that they all would have had a separate entry for each.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

If not covered already, Chris sounds like a good candidate for having a chat with the Atari Podcast team  @Savetz

I think that's a great idea.  My question would obviously be the history between the (quite different) versions, though I'm sure the answer will be the memory constraints of putting on an 8Kb Cart (and moving to more Atari-related graphic routines in the process - moving away from a straight Apple II port).

Not sure why I find all of this stuff so interesting, lol.  Just love that game for some reason!

18 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

There is a blast from the past! Chris Iden! He used to work with my dad at the local regional phone company in Oakhurst, CA before he started working for Sierra Online. I remember when he used to come over to our house and give me programming lessons on my Atari 800 back in the early 80's.  I went to school with his kids for years.  Cool guy who taught me a lot. I think he still lives in the area, I believe North Fork, CA.  I loved that game as well.  I still have a couple of original disk's for my A800.  

That is an awesome story!  I would definitely love to learn more about him (shame he wasn't an entry in Halcyon Days! I could read those stories over and over!)

So I received the 40Kb disk version today from a trusted eBay seller.

So basically a couple of things (and you can see the screenshots)

1. I was bitterly disappointed when I tried to boot up the disk on my daily driver XEGS/Rana 1000 combo.  It was new old stock, so always a chance that the diskette has gone bad.  There were two of the normal drive beeps, then the screen froze with blue screen and the cursor (no boot errors).  Switched over to my 1050, same thing.  So basically, after thinking about it after a few hours, moved my Rana over to the my original 800 system (which is my secondary) and it boots fine.  Seems like the XE doesn't like the initial copy protection check on this game.  I'll try it on my 130XE later as well.  The 800 stops, then comes up with the interesting load screen that you see below (which lists the original Apple II programer and then Chris Iden for the A800 version).
  2. The disk version is definitely the artifacted version (which I think, overall looks a tad better), and what is interesting and you all probably know this, but the 800 and the XEGS (at least mine) have some variations in composite output (noticeable in this game).  On the XEGS, I used my original mutti disk, non original rip, on the 800 used the Sierra diskette, but I don't think means anything.  I guess it could be the monitor cable I am using on the 800, who knows.

Anyway just more uninteresting boring facts to report (yes, I guess I have too much time on my hands, lol)

GfXD6UOyB3-XxKIt2pqDX43vi0BPUfwfJ4ixvdgn

6G0T_PGNtuUB3j15S5peIs7lRyHLAXBfg49XDznM

7gsFCaE1-RqVTVZFXQCMvPNXuy-bg8WnLtsNOd3R

8au7PpBTljva8nnDO6-mseNSFpq8-e4ZTTF9Cz9s

UpIRLcbmsERgmex3WpOOESGblD6QAbtYqYywTobu