IGNORED

Worst Electronics

Gunstar

Well, my limited experience with Brad has always been pleasurable. On 4 or 5 occasions (maybe even 6), I sent details on what I wanted as well as any questions I had. He responded quickly with his Q&A response as well as the total price. I paid for them and a few days later my shipments arrived.

I've ordered 8-bit Berzerk & Stargate, XE kybrd mylar, 1200XL kybrd mylar, 600XL composite mod kit, a few 8-bit chips, protector screens for my touch tablet, two female SIO conncetors, 2600 cartridge port, 2600 psu, 2600 TIA,..., etc. the list goes on and on.

Well, I guess I bought a lot from him and probably will continue.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I asserted no such thing. I made fun of UK hipsters who sit in Starbucks with Apple laptops, drink poncey coffee and use Americanisms. Perhaps I shouldn't have specified the low-end model; it was just illustrative. :)

Wow.  And I was going to make fun of US hipsters who sit in Starbucks, drink poncey coffee and use Britishisms.  There's no winning.  Everyone seems to want to be whatever it is that they aren't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

When I'm standing in a restaurant in the UK and I hear a British person ask for a cup of coffee with the words 'Can I get a coffee?' (instead of 'Could I have a coffee?'), I'm pretty sure I wince visibly. The former sounds perfectly natural when spoken by Americans, but with the English twang I immediately assume the customer has spent too long sitting in Starbucks quaffing Soy Lattes with his Macbook Air conspicuously on show.

Shouldn't that be "Oyy, can I av a cuppa, innit?"

P.S.

I'm allowed to make this joke.  I am 100% British on both sides of the family for 500 years back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

That's fine, I just didn't want the discussion to degrade and get significantly off topic. I will say that I have ZERO interest in any of Apple's current laptops since they all have a terrible and unreliable keyboard.  I'm really tired of their quest to make everything thinner at the cost of usability.  I'm using a 2015 MacBook Air right now, and it has passable keyboard (not a fan of chiclet keyboards, though) and usable ports.  I have a relatively new Thinkpad (with a rather nice keyboard) I purchased that I need to try installing macOS on.

..Al

Don't forget the useless Touchbar too! :) As a 2017 MBP 15" user, I've learned to tolerate the keyboard, but lack of proper Escape key is still infuriating (had to re-map the Caps lock key, now I hit the wrong key on a PC half the time...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mrarkus said:

Don't forget the useless Touchbar too! :) As a 2017 MBP 15" user, I've learned to tolerate the keyboard, but lack of proper Escape key is still infuriating (had to re-map the Caps lock key, now I hit the wrong key on a PC half the time...)

Yes, I agree, and now you cannot buy a new MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar.  I'd much rather have physical keys instead of the Touch Bar. Another reason I have no motivation at all to purchase a new MacBook Pro. 

We should maybe move this discussion into a new topic.

..Al

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, I agree, and now you cannot buy a new MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar.  I'd much rather have physical keys instead of the Touch Bar. Another reason I have no motivation at all to purchase a new MacBook Pro. 

We should maybe move this discussion into a new topic.

..Al

Sorry Al but I gotta "Me toooooo!!!" here before you clamp it down entirely. I was an iBook/Powerbook G5/MacBook Pro guy from 2003 through 2016. After that I just got so disgusted with the progressive dumbing-down of the "fast, light, super-powerful laptop" concept into gimmicks like the Touchbar that I broke down and just bought a gaming PC. It helps a lot that I have a friend who's a 20+ year employee of Dell who gave me his employee discount code ON TOP OF every other sale and promo, but my Alienware is 5 times the all-around machine as the MacBook Pro at the same price point, plus it has a keyboard that doesn't entirely suck, lol.

1 minute ago, gilsaluki said:

Oh, wheeaaaa, wheeeaaaa, wheeeaaaa.  Whoa is all of youze guyz.  Thank the LORD (is that still allowed to say?) someone hung on to this stuff and is willing to deal with old odd farts like us.

Yes, but the snark isn't necessary.

..Al

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NE146 said:

So.. that all said, anyone know offhand whether he still sells the improved 5200 joystick parts? I can never decipher whether he has them or not. :lol: Guess I can finally email after 20 years. 

Yes, he still sells those.  I actually have four of his refurbished 5200 sticks, and I can say from experience that they are a significant improvement over the originals.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

When I'm standing in a restaurant in the UK and I hear a British person ask for a cup of coffee with the words 'Can I get a coffee?' (instead of 'Could I have a coffee?'), I'm pretty sure I wince visibly. The former sounds perfectly natural when spoken by Americans, but with the English twang I immediately assume the customer has spent too long sitting in Starbucks quaffing Soy Lattes with his Macbook Air conspicuously on show.

Yes I do know what you mean, it does sound odd and we do have people who I would not say appropriate culture but they emulate it in a pretty awkward to hear / see way. And yes the picture of the quaffing MacBook poser is a very true thing on show daily. Sort of tallies with the person who must be seen entering work with the Starbucks coffee cup being sipped or the individuals who walk along with the phone  horizontal to their ear like a person on the apprentice. I like the idea of people being pleasant to you as part of a sale but I don't want a "have a nice day y'all", I prefer that sort of Americanism where it really belongs, in America, that's where it sounds right and I'm sure we can fathom out a pleasant way to conduct sales without a true rip off.

I've always enjoy my time in the USA, really nice people, really friendly to Brits and I love some of the ways they do stuff but just like an American visiting the UK, they see stuff we do that they love but HOME is always where the heart is.

Anyway, Brad has got a rather unique way with business that's neither US or UK, its Brad....Mr Koda is just his own boss and does it the Koda way :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 11:11 PM, flashjazzcat said:

...  I immediately assume the customer has spent too long sitting in Starbucks quaffing Soy Lattes with his Macbook Air conspicuously on show.

You made my day - ROTFL ?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, Faicuai said:

Not trying to make things worse, but... Here's something I have yet to disclose, since my last ad-hoc pilgrimage to Borregas Avenue (on my last vacation trip to the Bay area).

I actually decided to go down to the San Jose area, and search for Best Electronics' place. After ending up in a tiny sh_t hole (to my continuous disbelief), I decided to venture inside of it, just hoping to buy two (expensive) items they had in-stock. After coming in, a rather short / skinny figure (with an Atari-emblem buckle on his belt, with Asian / Oriental facial features) emerges out of a TON of rubble and crap sitting all over the place. Filthy as hell, it was horrific to the eyes, but hey (I said to myself) "this is a bygone-era business, so don't expect anything fancy out of it..."

Guess what? After almost not being able to breath in there, I was told I COULD NOT ORDER anything there, nothing could be delivered to me there, on the spot, and I better go back to on-line email for ordering.... I was like WTF (!?) I came here to spend almost $100 in obsolete technology and you still have the balls to tell me you can't sell me 

@Faicuai was this person you describe Koda?!

• Sad 1