IGNORED

Dead Tomb (Phoenix Exclusive)

retroillucid

20 hours ago, retroillucid said:

It has been decided to NOT make any Phoenix exclusive games 
Instead, we want our games to be compatible with BOTH regular ColecoVision AND the Phoenix 

If you insert one of our ''Wafer Cartridge'' into a regular ColecoVision, the game will plays just like a regular ColecoVision cartridge. 
If you insert it into the Phoenix, then the game will/could have more features/levels and/or better graphics

Our very first ''Wafer Cartridge'' is going to be Dead Tomb 
The game is all done, we're entering the beta testing phase 
Unless I'm not aware, Dead Tomb is going to be the very first point n click game on ColecoVision 

Cutscene1.png

Frame 1.png

Scene G-A.png

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Screenshot3.png

titlescreen.png

This is a great news. It will keep original Colecovision alive.

Does it mean new cartridges will have two roms?

• Like 1

This does look great.  But I have to ask, does the decision to keep compatibility with the colecovision incur some limitations?  Ie:  does that limit the available size of the rom to the Phoenix ?  Example let’s say the maximum addressable memory to the Phoenix is 512k, how does this limitation affect this dual support?  What is the limitation on cart/wafer storage space?  Software wise does it put the notion of potential “Phoenix remakes of colecovision titles” null and void?  What is the status of venture dx in a case like this, as it now needs to support the colecovision as well, which I believe it didn’t previously?

to be clear it makes total sense to go in this direction. As a software developer you certainly need to maximize your sales!  It does bring a bit of a cloud to the uninformed as myself as to the possibility of achieving the pull potential of the Phoenix console so your comments on these questions are certainly appreciated 

5 hours ago, Loafer said:

This does look great.  But I have to ask, does the decision to keep compatibility with the colecovision incur some limitations?  Ie:  does that limit the available size of the rom to the Phoenix ?  Example let’s say the maximum addressable memory to the Phoenix is 512k, how does this limitation affect this dual support?  What is the limitation on cart/wafer storage space?  Software wise does it put the notion of potential “Phoenix remakes of colecovision titles” null and void?  What is the status of venture dx in a case like this, as it now needs to support the colecovision as well, which I believe it didn’t previously?

to be clear it makes total sense to go in this direction. As a software developer you certainly need to maximize your sales!  It does bring a bit of a cloud to the uninformed as myself as to the possibility of achieving the pull potential of the Phoenix console so your comments on these questions are certainly appreciated 

When you'll be inserting a ''Wafer cart'' into your console, you'll select the version you want to play; Regular or SuperGame, so both ''version'' are on the same cartridge. 
The size of a Wafer cartridge is up to 1mb 

It does not affect the remakes of CV games, in example we're currently working on Gorf SuperGame
You'll be able to play it on a stock ColecoVision, but you'll get more stuff and better graphics if you're playing it on a Phoenix. (That's the whole idea of the Wafer Cart, or SuperGame if you will) 

VentureDX is now Venture SuperGame
We should resume works on it later this year

• Like 2

Do you have already some screenshots of the game running on a standard Colecovision?

I'm always impressed by the graphics you manage to produce for the standard Colecovsion.   Less impressed by the Phoenix one , they are very nice but due to lot of less technical constraint it impress me less.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, youki said:

Do you have already some screenshots of the game running on a standard Colecovision?

Not yet, I'm currently trying to adapt the graphics to a regular ColecoVision
I'll be honest, I'm having hard time mainly due the lack of color tones on regular CV

Although, I think we can make it work

12 hours ago, youki said:

I'm always impressed by the graphics you manage to produce for the standard Colecovsion.   Less impressed by the Phoenix one , they are very nice but due to lot of less technical constraint it impress me less.  

Thanks for the kind words  :)
I understand working under CV limitations is way more challenging and complex than simply using the Phoenix's graphics limitations

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Did anyone else buy the game to use on Colecovision with F18A? In the description on the website collectorvision.com says "(will also work with a modded Colecovision with F18A)", but when I put the cartridge I only get garbage on the screen. In another forum it was said that using the ROM file with an Atarimax SD worked, but it didn't the cartridge. 

• Like 1

Make sure you've updated your F18A to the latest revision - if you still have one of the original releases then there were some incompatible changes made that Dead Tomb /might/ require (I don't have the game to know).

Alternately, does the game require the SGM RAM?

15 hours ago, Tursi said:

Make sure you've updated your F18A to the latest revision - if you still have one of the original releases then there were some incompatible changes made that Dead Tomb /might/ require (I don't have the game to know).

Alternately, does the game require the SGM RAM?

Yes, I have the latest version of the F18A, version 1.9. I also have SGM, but nothing makes the game work properly. My fear is that the cartridge has not been tested on a ColecoVision with F18A, although it appears in the description on the collectorvision.com website. 

9 minutes ago, Marcelo Teixeira said:

Yes, I have the latest version of the F18A, version 1.9. I also have SGM, but nothing makes the game work properly. My fear is that the cartridge has not been tested on a ColecoVision with F18A, although it appears in the description on the collectorvision.com website. 

My experience is the same - F18A v1.9, SGM and the cart doesn't work.

I believe that text was old from original upcoming games announcement. I think that one sentences got left in there by a mistake.

The game was designed to be a phoenix exclusive. The phoenix has both the f18a but it also has the SGM preinstalled. There was no way to guarantee that people had both for their system so it was made phoenix exclusive.

The game can be made to run without the SGM but uses it for some additional sound fx. It will actually run on a standard colecovision but you just won't see anything. If you wait a minute you'll hear sounds & music  though.

It's possible to make a standard colecovision graphics version and maybe that'll happen in the future. Would require significant reworking of the graphics.

10 minutes ago, digress said:

I believe that text was old from original upcoming games announcement. I think that one sentences got left in there by a mistake.

The game was designed to be a phoenix exclusive. The phoenix has both the f18a but it also has the SGM preinstalled. There was no way to guarantee that people had both for their system so it was made phoenix exclusive.

The game can be made to run without the SGM but uses it for some additional sound fx. It will actually run on a standard colecovision but you just won't see anything. If you wait a minute you'll hear sounds & music  though.

It's possible to make a standard colecovision graphics version and maybe that'll happen in the future. Would require significant reworking of the graphics.

The game does actually work on a real CV with F18A and SGM when you run the game rom from an AtariMax.  So I guess the incompatibility must be some way that the software and the cart hardware work together.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Lafe Fredbjornson said:

I am unable to get the rom I purchased from Collectorvision to run on CoolCV (latest version 6.9).

All I get is a black screen with the intro music.

Dead Tomb makes use of the capabilities of the F18A which isn't included with any of the ColecoVision emulators out there at the moment.  Hopefully the F18A will be added to some of them in the future.

As such, the Dead Tomb rom file will only work on an SD card either in a Phoenix or an F18A equipped ColecoVision via an AtariMax cart.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Is there a walkthrough or hints somewhere?  I'm stuck.  I got the nail and rock, pounded the nail into the trap door, and then the rope and ring disappeared.

Nm.  Figured it out

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1