IGNORED

What game can I use to fully test my controller?

chad5200

Yes, there are a few diagnostic programs, but the quick and easy way is to use three games.

StarWars: The Arcade Game - good for general direction and all fire buttons fire lasers

Gyruss - good for really making sure the controller is properly calibrated to the console as the ship should be able to move all around without fighting the controller

Popeye - another good one for testing the calibration. If the calibration is off, then you will have a difficult time moving Popeye up and down the stairs properly.

Check the games information here on this site for the 5200 and you will find roms for all of these I suspect.

i use 2 games galaxian i use the keypad each button corresponds to  a level so i press 1,reset,2,reset... and the number shows in the upper corner

then i use dig dug for up down left right and both buttons throw the air hose

but popeye is a good one to test down with the ladder in the center

missile command is good for checking if you hit all corners and for jitter or bad areas on the potentiometers but its not very useful

On 7/18/2019 at 4:15 AM, Shawn said:

Pete's Test Cart is my go to for such things.

I use that in combination with the 5200 diagnostic cart along with my 4-port loopback for proper POKEY adjustment and controller calibration

I was just answering the OP some games to use for quick testing.

• 2 weeks later...