IGNORED

A programming editor with auto-indent

Mrarkus

After spending too much time with my new Atari Tablet (thanks Gunstar for the recommendation!), I have rekindled an idea to do a graphic adventure game. Great as a shared project with my kids too, they are excited! Anyway, I haven't done much assembly on the Atari, and looking through the available tools, I like two - Atari Macro Assembler and MAE. Neither editor however has auto-indent or column positioning. Are there any good/popular editors that have that by any chance? Of course in-line error checking wouldn't be bad either :)

Generally extra spaces are stored as such in native editors so with programming on the Atari it was general practice to go easy on them.

The E: device has the nice feature of settable TAB positions though once your line numbers grow the extra digit that can go into disarray.

The done thing these days though is cross-platform dev + emulator to do test runs.  The productivity increase is massive - consider even something like Mac-65 which might create several K of code per second but then you have to run the thing and once a program gets beyond a certain size you'll often not be able to do a run in the same environment as the edit/assemble which means a reboot or sneakernet to a second machine.  On the other hand, you can do an edit, assemble and call up emulator for run in a matter of seconds.  Find a problem, fix it and be going within the minute.    Savings along in a day's coding just from quicker assemble/run/get back to edit in the order of a couple of hours.  Then on top of that asset creation and program editing so much quicker and easier with PC-based tools.

• Like 1

Auto-indent might cause problems with Assembler Editors, labels etc. are one space, code 2 or more spaces, with auto-indent, it wouldn't like

indented comments.

I use MAC65, it's got some quirks, but they all have something, and BUG65 is also good for for debugging.

Like Rybags says, consider using an emulator to develop code, so much quicker when you have to re-boot to run

your code, I use Altirra64.

Two things . First, I really don't like line numbers in assembly, so MAC65 is out for me. Second, I enjoy coding on the actual machine, no cross-assemblers either. I'm "stuck" with MAE or AMAS :)

Auto-indent doesn't change anything in a text file, just adds tabs/spaces for you automatically that you would've added manually. I just can't find an editor on Atari that actually has that option...