IGNORED

Recommended Accessories?

SegaSnatcher

With the announcement of an updated standard Switch with much better battery life I'm finally going to purchase one.  Just curious what accessories you recommened.  

Doing some research I know to buy a nice glass screen protector and for my personal use I'll be getting a stand for table top gaming as well. Just curious what other cool accessories I should consider getting. Thanks.

@agamon is 100% on the money about the case suggestion- if you plan to take it *anywhere* you really gotta have a case.   I have one of the hard-shell leather-type Zelda cases I picked up from Walmart- it has cases for 8 Switch games plus a mesh pocket for your JoyCon rails.  It wasn't that expensive and boy was it worth it.

I also second the suggestion for a 'proper' controller.  I picked up one of the Nintendo Pro controllers and even though they're a little pricy, it was well worth the money because of the arthritis in my hands.  My only gripe is that the black plastic finish on the controller is well-worn away now because I use the darn thing so much.  ;)

You may consider hunting around Amazon for a good-sized microSD card if you plan on downloading much at all.  I don't remember off-hand how much I paid for my 128 gig one, but I don't think it was very much.

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

@agamon is 100% on the money about the case suggestion- if you plan to take it *anywhere* you really gotta have a case.   I have one of the hard-shell leather-type Zelda cases I picked up from Walmart- it has cases for 8 Switch games plus a mesh pocket for your JoyCon rails.  It wasn't that expensive and boy was it worth it.

I also second the suggestion for a 'proper' controller.  I picked up one of the Nintendo Pro controllers and even though they're a little pricy, it was well worth the money because of the arthritis in my hands.  My only grip is that the black plastic finish on the controller is well-worn away now because I use the darn thing so much.  ;)

You may consider hunting around Amazon for a good-sized microSD card if you plan on downloading much at all.  I don't remember off-hand how much I paid for my 128 gig one, but I don't think it was very much.

Will definitely look into a case.     Yeah thankfully SD Cards have come way down in price.  I'll probably end up getting a 200GB, but I plan to mostly buy physical. 

I agree with everything that has been said, and I would like to also suggest the Flip Grip. The Flip Grip is a device that allows you to play your Switch in Portrait mode with the joycons still attached. It's kind of hard to explain, here's an image:39686475b6f1d632537368d12c1b7ce1_original.thumb.png.f40ae10b2fc956ee6df05241a2faa2ed.png

Its main use is Arcade ports, like Sega Ages, Arcade Archives, Atari Flashback Classics, amd the Namco Museum. I'm going to assume that if you're on this forum, you're a fan of arcade games, and with the Flip Grip the Switch becomes a great way to portably play arcade classics.

My other suggestion is a GameCube controller Adapter. It doesn't have to be the official one, I got a cheap third party one and it works great. GameCube controllers are some of the most beloved controllers on earth, and with the Adapter your Switch will recognize them as a pro controller, meaning that many games will be playable (although functionality might be lost due to the lack of a left shoulder button, a select button, motion controls, and clickable sticks). Also because the controller is USB, you can plug it into your PC and use it to play PC Games and emulators.

Otherwise, I agree with the others in this thread. Big SD Card, Pro Controller (official is good for modern games, 8BitDo is good for retro and reteo-style games), and a case are all must haves, and you are on the right track with a screen protector and stand. A spare AC Adapter is also nice, because my switch refuses to charge or dock with any of my other USB-C Cables.

• Like 2

All I have is a breath of the wild blue/branded case and I think I've used it once since I don't travel with mine, and aside from that, just the pro controller.  I haven't seen a need for anything at all otherwise other than maybe the flip grip IF I ever decided I wanted enough games to justify that buy.  Well there is that 128MB memory card I added, but I was thinking more accessory than storage but it counts.