IGNORED

Colecovision Game WIP : "Where Is It ? "

Eric M

Hi,

I'm working on my first game ever done for Colecovision. Thanks to Alek Maul and Amy for the help

In this little video, you'll see the goal of the game : find a 3x3 square in a big one.

If you find 10 "FindIt"s, you'll access to a challenge stage and then until you reach the 9th level.

It's not finished but still in progress.

If you have some comments, don't hesitate to write back ;)

wii1.PNG

wii2.PNG

wii3.PNG

To see the video, please, click on this link > Still WIP : Where Is It ?

Thank you

Eric M.

Edited by Eric M
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For a first game this is mighty impressive.  I'm another puzzle game lover and this looks like a good challenge and a lot of fun.  Very nice graphics and the music, oh the music, I never thought I'd ever hear music of such awesomeness coming from a ColecoVision.

(Just kidding about the music ?)

What sound effects/music will there be?

• Thanks 1

@Niad > a passcode will be good

@Ikrananka > for sounds/music, I'm still waiting a while

I've made a mistake on my video : I've forgotten to show you the normal and hard level. The square are differents. For example when you play the hardest level, there are no pacman nor other little 'bugs'. It's harder to find the 3x3matrix in the big one ;)

On 7/19/2019 at 3:34 AM, Eric M said:

I've made a mistake on my video : I've forgotten to show you the normal and hard level. The square are differents. For example when you play the hardest level, there are no pacman nor other little 'bugs'. It's harder to find the 3x3matrix in the big one

So are the harder levels is it just cubes of different colors?  Makes it hard for people who are color blind.  Just a thought

• 4 months later...

Hi Coleco lovers :)

The glitches you've seen on WIP15 are corrected and have added extras

I'll prepare some pictures when I've few minutes. thanks

Stay tuned :)

Eric

ps: I would like to present this version during a French Conventin (RGC) but my coleco lost his memory (RAM problem). I've to buy some 4116-3n memory and hope my coleco will start a new life ;)

Edited by Eric M

Hi again ;)

Here are some screenshots of Wii ?

To the classic 'arcade mode' I've added a story mode.

Maybe my English is a bit rusty but the story is here ;)

Don't hesitate to write some comments, it'll encourage me

Thanks

Eric

findit13.png

findit11.png findit12.png findit17.png findit16.png

findit18.png

findit19.png findit20.png findit22.png findit21.png

Story Mode

findit24.png (more text here) findit25.png (more text here)

findit23.png

findit26.png findit27.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I will ask again:

So are the harder levels is it just cubes of different colors?  Makes it hard for people who are colorblind.  Just a thought

These means that I won't be able to play the game.  I have issues with Dr Mario and Candy Crush due to the colors.  This would probably be a nightmare, oh well can't please everyone!

• Like 1

Looks great - very impressive.

A few suggestions for corrections to the English in 'Story mode':

• It should be "an SOS" and not "a S.O.S".
  • "to avoid Druhl'shoots." should be "to avoid Druhl's shots."
  • For the text on the last screen I'd suggest "Help him to accomplish his mission using your observation skills and execution speed."
  • Are you going for the UK or US spellings for words?  Looks like US but is that your intent? 
  • On the first island text intro the end should be "will not let you pass through easily", i.e. delete "so"

3 hours ago, Eric M said:

For US "writing", it's not my intent.

The only reason I asked is because of the spelling you used for "maneuvers" which is American-English.  As you're from France I would have expected you to use the spelling the rest of the English speaking world uses, i.e. "manoeuvres".  I'm also a little biased as I'm from the UK ?

Hi ;)

As I don't know what english word I can use for "manoeuvres", I've used google translation. Maybe you have another word for it ?

Thanks

ps :

what could be your translation for all the texts ?

i have other texts which are not displayed because these are displayed in other parts of the game. Can I send them in pm for a correct translation ? thx

1 hour ago, Eric M said:

Hi ;)

As I don't know what english word I can use for "manoeuvres", I've used google translation. Maybe you have another word for it ?

Thanks

ps :

what could be your translation for all the texts ?

i have other texts which are not displayed because these are displayed in other parts of the game. Can I send them in pm for a correct translation ? thx

Sure, send me a PM and I'll do my best to help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2019 at 4:03 PM, Eric M said:

Some characteres appear where they don't have to be (2:43) ... or are missing (7:43) ??!?

This "bug, glitch" is random... Do you know why and how to correct it ?

Thanks a lot

Yes.  Make sure to do graphic update right after delay(1);(whenever the video complete flag is raised) when nmi is enabled.  Or do part of it a frame if you writing a lot of data to the VDP if you need nmi enabled. Colecovision has a bug when the nmi occurred, the missing or misplaced graphics will happen.  If you're doing huge graphic update like filling the char/sprite/color tables, then use disable_nmi();, enable_nmi(); then use the graphic routine between these function. 

example:

disable_nmi();

pletter(QuinnPATTERN,0x0000);
put_vram(0x0100,(void*)0x15a3,512);
duplicate_pattern();
pletter(QuinnCOLOR,0x2000);
pletter(QuinnSPRITE,0x3800);

enable_nmi();

Sorry if I'm late to reply. 

• Thanks 1

Don't worry, your solution is welcome ( and any other) ;)

by the way, in my WIP17 video, at 2:12 / 13 - a white square (16x16) appear at the top right of the screen.

Is there a kind of sprite initialisation problem ? Maybe I am doing something wrong ... (it's possible ;) )

See you and thanks a lot

Eric