IGNORED

A baseball game for the Jaguar ?

Fredifredo

Hi everybody !

First : I'm not a baseball fan ; I'll not code that ; I hate injustice ...

Atari systems and baseball games :

- Atari 2600                : YES ! ( 6 or 7 )

- Atari 5200                : YES ! ( 1 )

- Atari 7800                : YES ! ( 1 )

- Atari Lynx                 : YES ! (1 )

- Atari 400/800/XL/XE  : YES ! ( 7 or 8 )

- Atari ST                    : YES ! ( 6 or 7 )

- Atari Jaguar              : NO  !!!!

So, why ?

And now  : Why not ?

First way : A new ST conversion of :

- Hardball! by Accolade

- RBI Baseball 2 ( may be changing the name and the title screen ) by Ocean Software

ps : "We own full rights of over 150 video game Ips from the 80s and 90s. Some of our titles sold millions of copies in their particular launched year. Our catalog includes IPs from popular developers like Ocean Software, Infogrames, Accolade, Imagitec, Spectrum Holobyte, Beam Software, Legend Entertainment, Core Design, Krisalis Software, Teque Software, and Gremlin Graphics. Our licensing agreements are available and affordable for both small business and large corporations." PIKO Interactive

Second way : An Amiga conversion/port if code source available of TV Sport Baseball by Beam Software ( look at the list above )

Third way :  You are a coder with no project and you like baseball ! Raptor and Raptor Basic are here to help you :)

Edited by Fredifredo
  • Like 1

Might just be me, but classic sports games need to be real special to hold up over the years. NBA Jam, Neo Turf Masters, NHL '94, games like that. I personally wouldn't want to play an Atari ST baseball game in 2019. And I don't think a homebrew baseball game would be very interesting without a ton of effort involved. 

• Like 3

The why no Baseball games on Jaguar?

question is straightforward enough to answer.

Hardball III was planned for the Jaguar,  but it appears it was  shelved and Atari wanted Hard Ball IV instead as it was the newer title.

Due to the commercial failure of the Jaguar,  Hardball just joined the long list of abandoned titles.

1 hour ago, travistouchdown said:

I for one would absolutely be interested in a GOOD baseball game being ported/made for the Jaguar; and GOLF too for that matter!

I would second both of those, and if there is a good mini golf game, add that to the mix!

1 hour ago, Machine said:

I would second both of those, and if there is a good mini golf game, add that to the mix!

A mini golf game could be fun, especially since it would be a two player game. I've only liked the early 90s PGA Tour PC games but don't see that happening on the Jag since Jack Nicklaus never even made it. The amount of time to create a baseball game would probably be 100x the amount it actually gets played and it's probably not going to top Tengen's RBI Baseball on the NES. I only remember it being fun but that was 30 years ago ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

....it's probably not going to top Tengen's RBI Baseball on the NES. I only remember it being fun but that was 30 years ago ?

That game still holds up today. We just played a mini 4 man tourament a few weeks back and it was a blast. If you have not checked out the Online RBI roster editor online, you have to do so. It can edit names, stats, team graphics, etc. and save it to a rom you can load up and play on a real NES. It is a blast to mess with. I made a "Family team" for my family and then a "Family team" for our best friends' family. Needless to say, our family team was stacked and their family was terrible. It's funny to see a RBI player run in slow motion.

http://nightwulf.rbicentral.com/rbi-editor/

• Like 1

I'm probably the biggest real-life baseball fan in the Jag community, but I see little point in trying to port over or create from scratch any kind of baseball game for the Jaguar. Baseball games are difficult to make good as it is, which is why there's been so few throughout the years on any console that have really made any kind of a mark. Older baseball games are just too dated now, and making something that would be fun to play while capturing the feel of the sport would take far more effort than what anyone would put into a Jag game. I'm fine with there not being a baseball game on the Jag, considering I'd prefer not seeing it done at all if it wouldn't be done right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

I'm probably the biggest real-life baseball fan in the Jag community, but I see little point in trying to port over or create from scratch any kind of baseball game for the Jaguar. Baseball games are difficult to make good as it is, which is why there's been so few throughout the years on any console that have really made any kind of a mark. Older baseball games are just too dated now, and making something that would be fun to play while capturing the feel of the sport would take far more effort than what anyone would put into a Jag game. I'm fine with there not being a baseball game on the Jag, considering I'd prefer not seeing it done at all if it wouldn't be done right.

Interesting point :) 

So, for you a game like Hardball 5 is now consider like an arcade game but in 1995 it was a simulation ?

1 hour ago, Fredifredo said:

Interesting point :) 

So, for you a game like Hardball 5 is now consider like an arcade game but in 1995 it was a simulation ?

I've never played Hardball 5, but other games of the era could be considered in that same light. What I can mention, though, is the High Heat Baseball series of games, which were well known as being among the most realistic simulation-type games of their time. The developers went through great lengths to make their game more realistic in play and captured the nuances and overall spirit of the game much better than most other baseball games that had been created. Even that series, though, had its share of problems.