IGNORED

IBMs 50th aniversary moon exhibit has our 2600!!

nolram

There is a brilliant youtube 'series' I've been following over the past few weeks showing the restoration of an Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC). Aside from the amazingly brilliant guys doing this restoration, it's really interesting to learn about the computer technology and how it worked. Artefacts from the moon program like the AGC are still around and functional today (they ran code on it from the Apollo program of 1960s, including - and this is the amazing bit - recovering from core memory what the display was showing when it was last switched off probably in the early 1970s). The amount of work involved in developing this stuff back in the 1960s is staggering.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Keatah said:

Why the hell are they celebrating something that didn't really happen?

Yes I understand about the Van Allen radiation belts, but maybe it did really happen (using undisclosed alien technology recovered from the Roswell crash site -- the so-called "foil" shielding in the space suits) and the broadcast that was televised to the public was a fake pre-filmed in a desert here on Earth because the government didn't want you to see what was really up there on the moon, including abandoned architecture and technology from an extra-terrestrial civilization.

13 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

What does that late 70's fake living room have to do with the moon or IBM?

Chevrolet also took the opportunity of milking the moon landing for their 2020 Corvette unveiling. I get Chevrolet basically gave astronauts Corvettes back then, but they were trying to make it sound like the vehicle is built from NASA technology.

Oh for fuck’s sake. Moon hoaxer/conspiracy theory nutters need to learn some science. If it had been faked the Soviets would have blown the lid off it as a propaganda coup - all the telemetry from hundreds of internal systems, and all the audio and television signals were sent unencrypted and easily tracked by Soviet and Chinese scientists and engineers all the way from launch through the numerous trips to the moon (of which there were 9 after all from 1968 through 1972). Apollo 8 went to the moon. Apollo 10 went to the moon. Apollo 11 went to the moon. Apollo 12 went to the moon. Apollo 13 looped around the moon and came back immediately due to its emergency, but it went to the moon. Apollo 14 went to the moon. Apollo 15 went to the moon. Apollo 16 went to the moon. Apollo 17 went to the moon. 

This engineering and development and operational aspects of Project Apollo took upwards of half a million people over a decade to pull off. No alien technology. No conspiracy. No bullshit. Just science, engineering and SHIT LOADS of money. That’s all. Time, effort and money can accomplish amazing things if you stay focused long enough.

http://clavius.org

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I vote we send anyone who believes in Moon landing hoaxes or flat Earth BS on an express ride to the moon to prove them wrong once and for all. If the rocket blows up on the pad, so much the better. That would be the best investment in science ever made.

tumblr_n0g9i6EmRO1trhk95o1_r1_400.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Chevrolet also took the opportunity of milking the moon landing for their 2020 Corvette unveiling. I get Chevrolet basically gave astronauts Corvettes back then, but they were trying to make it sound like the vehicle is built from NASA technology.

The back end looks a little busy and overdone. But at least it doesn't have that 90's CERV III melted look. Or that Oldsmobile Alero roundedness. And it has a proper 8-speed automatic!

Edited by Keatah

44 minutes ago, nolram said:

They are showing how our generation saw the space shuttle.

Me and my buddies saw the Space Shuttle as like in Moonraker. With lasers and stuff. We also imagined using it to patrol the space colonies we were supposed to get. All that space stuff is like so fake and bullshitty. Just as bad as hollywood. And worse than empty promises by maneuvering politicians. Don't know what to believe!!

And now they're (NASA, Gubbament, Sci-Fi buffs, and armchair astronauts) talking about sending men to the Moon AGAIN and to Mars? You know, they been say'n that for the past 14 years. AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED! NOTHING!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Is that what the exhibit says? Because my generation (that grew up with the 2600) saw the space shuttle launches/landings in classrooms at school.
The poster on the wall had the shuttle so I assumed. I remember watching challenger in school, but thats about it.

Also did we ever figure out how much it would cost to make the shuttle today not inflation prices but part for part using todays replacement components? Im sure it would be a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Regarding the moon landing debate, I also went through that phase where I gave some thought to the conspiracy theory; b/w television, easy to fake & fool, we needed to beat the soviets & raise American pride & moral, etc. So it seemed plausible. But then as I got older, learned about what was involved, got the facts, etc. I came back to reality.

I went through the same phase with the Kennedy Assassination & I guess for today’s younger generation, the 911 thruther’s now run amuck.

Regarding the space shuttle program, I emphatically agree that it should NEVER have been ended & the shuttle crafts retired. At least not until the viable & functional replacement was fully tested & in place. It worked. Period. Why change that? Why end that?

Granted, 2 fatal accidents, but out of what, 135 missions! Those are incredible mathematical odds & an extremely safe statistic, all things considered. Well worth & within the acceptable risk range for space travel. And of course, when did they occur? During take off & landing. Ask any airline pilot, take off & landing are the most dangerous times during a flight.

rebuild a newer & better & safer & more economical & fuel efficient shuttle utilizing modern parts & technology, and you could run another 135 missions for the next 30 years all over again. And even if 2 of them don’t make it, it’s not grossly negligent. Rather it’s the understood & accepted price paid by pioneers & explorers. How many sailors lost their lives at sea when voyaging across the oceans?

• Like 2

I agree the Shuttle should not have ended as soon as it did. Technically it would be a better craft if built today with modern materials and design techniques and whatnot. Yes.

But PowerPoint gets in the way. Do gooders making useless presentations get in the way. Politicians only support something if it meets their agenda. The right mindset doesn't exist. Peoples attitudes are too influenced by big-data, advertisements, smartphone distractions, and so much more from modern contemporary life. None of that is conducive to doing what happened in the 60's.

35 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Unfortunately i feel this thread is heading borderline political that may offend some users. Personally im ok with it all but i would hate to see this interesting thread get locked.

The moon landings were all about politics. If it wasn't for the one-upmanship game with the Russians the landings would never ever ever have happened. The science was really an afterthought and nowhere near a prime motivator. It be like what they gonna do once they get there? Ahh! Train them in geology and make them collect rocks.

And once the race was won there was no reason to go back. Plain and simple. 50 years later and we're still stuck on this planet.

Unfortunately, post Apollo, the budget cuts were so much that we were lucky to maintain any space program. Skylab was a risky cludge of remaining parts to keep the program on life support. The shuttle was originally designed as a competent reusable space craft, but funding cuts forced them to seek military funding which forced major changes in the design, most notably the size and cargo capacity to accommodate specific top secret spy satellite payloads. The thing never should have been as huge as it was. As a result, it was way too expensive  to operate and riskyer than it needed to be. They originally wanted one half the size that sat on top of a propulsion system in front of all the dangerous stuff, not a beheamoth strapped to the side of a fuel tank. Costs were the biggest factor in its retirement, and the fact that the military now have their own launch systems and facilities that can operate largely out of public view.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Unfortunately i feel this thread is heading borderline political that may offend some users. Personally im ok with it all but i would hate to see this interesting thread get locked.

I kind of agree. Religion & Politics are the two optics that I despise when they are brought up both on any forums I frequent as well as even in real life. But I think we’ve treaded lightly so far.

9 hours ago, Keatah said:

I agree the Shuttle should not have ended as soon as it did. Technically it would be a better craft if built today with modern materials and design techniques and whatnot. Yes.

But PowerPoint gets in the way. Do gooders making useless presentations get in the way. Politicians only support something if it meets their agenda. The right mindset doesn't exist. Peoples attitudes are too influenced by big-data, advertisements, smartphone distractions, and so much more from modern contemporary life. None of that is conducive to doing what happened in the 60's.

100% agree with all this, specifically the comment about “smartphone distractions”. In fact, I’d go even further to state that these damned devices are the beginning of the end of humankind being content with just their surroundings & one another. They also represent the end of higher education & worthwhile intelligence.

• Sad 1