IGNORED

What are your favorite homebrews?

Bixler

I'd like to finally purchase some 2600 homebrew carts from the AtariAge store to support this website and the 2600 community. What are some of your favorite(s), and why? I'm already drooling over Space Rocks, Halo 2600, and Medieval Mayhem. ??

P.S. Are there any homebrew carts that won't display properly, for whatever reason, on an AV composite-modded 2600? Gonna be purchasing one very soon to use with my HDTV, since I don't have a CRT nor do I have a cheap means of getting one for my small apartment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bixler said:

I'd like to finally purchase some 2600 homebrew carts from the AtariAge store to support this website and the 2600 community. What are some of your favorite(s), and why? I'm already drooling over Space Rocks, Halo 2600, and Medieval Mayhem. ??

Those are all fun games.  Anything by Darrell Spice, Jr. (Space Rocks and Medieval Mayhem above) is fantastic.  :)

2 hours ago, Bixler said:

P.S. Are there any homebrew carts that won't display properly, for whatever reason, on an AV composite-modded 2600? Gonna be purchasing one very soon to use with my HDTV, since I don't have a CRT nor do I have a cheap means of getting one for my small apartment.

No, everything should work just fine in an A/V modified 2600.  I have 20 such systems that I use to demo games at shows like the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, and I also use these same systems at home hooked up to Commodore 1702 displays using s-video.  Modern televisions can be an issue, though, as not every game generates a perfect NTSC signal.  CRTs generally tolerate this fairly well, but not all flat-panel televisions do.  Still, it's rare that I have someone write and tell me a particular game isn't working on their newer TV.

..Al

Cave In is one of my favorites!

I'm also a fan of:

Anguna - I love this game!!!

Assembloids - I love this, too!

Chunkout

Falldown

Gunfight

Halo

KO Boxing

Jump VCS

Panky The Panda - AMAZING!

QB

Seawolf - The best 20.00 game in the store

Space Cactus Canyon

Space Rocks

Star Fire

Toyship Trouble

• Like 1

It might seem a bit biased, but I like Chaotic Grill the best of all (mostly because Burger Time is one of my all-time favorite games and not because I worked on the graphics).  But I also like Dare Devil, Donkey Kong VCS, Mappy, Ninjish Guy in Low-Res World, Space Game, Stay Frosty 2, and Wall Jump Ninja, among others.

Might as well throw my opinion in. Go Fish, Space Cactus Canyon, Wall Jump Ninja, and anything by Darrell Spice Jr. (as Albert said.) I also advise getting a save key and any homebrews that take advantage of it.  You might want to look into rebuilding your joysticks, if they haven't been already. It makes a HUGE difference.

Edited by RamrodHare
Spelling.

Space Treat. Classic Frogger/Preppje style gameplay, very simple concept with appealing graphics. 

Lady Bug. What an excellent use of the hardware,  very faithful port in spirit. 

Skeleton Plus.  A first person perspective survival shooter in a 3D maze! You will quickly adjust to the maze "scrolling" , and those louder warning beeps really increase the tension. 

Qb.  What if Q*bert had been a tile pattern shifting game? This is the answer to that question. 

There are many others, in fact few of the 2600 Homebrews have ever disappointed me. 

Astronomer...……………………………………...nice difficult game

Dungeon 1 and 2...…………………………….RPG fan here, and they rock on VCS

Boulder Dash (is that a homebrew?)..Big fan of the original, so why not

Brik..…………………………………………………..Arkanoid on VCS

Stalla's Stocking (all 5 games)………...killing time games

Mean Santa...…………………………………...love a mean game

AI Project...……………………………………….Seaman type game, it's weird and lots of time needed.

Halo 2600...……………………………………...Fantastic game, my friend Sabine says so 

and more

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, high voltage said:

Astronomer...……………………………………...nice difficult game

Dungeon 1 and 2...…………………………….RPG fan here, and they rock on VCS

Boulder Dash (is that a homebrew?)..Big fan of the original, so why not

Brik..…………………………………………………..Arkanoid on VCS

Stalla's Stocking (all 5 games)………...killing time games

Mean Santa...…………………………………...love a mean game

AI Project...……………………………………….Seaman type game, it's weird and lots of time needed.

Halo 2600...……………………………………...Fantastic game, my friend Sabine says so 

and more

Oh, Brik looks nice. Not as complex as Arkanoid, but better than Superbreakout I would say. Have to test it out.

2 hours ago, root42 said:

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, sir. Bravo!

Well, that makes it rather disappointing indeed.

I know we're talking 2600 here, but I can't wait for Arkanoid (7800).  This game would have helped sell many a console BITD.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I know we're talking 2600 here, but I can't wait for Arkanoid (7800).  This game would have helped sell many a console BITD.

Wow that looks impressive. However the 7800 is much more comparable to the NES, right? Would be nice to have a scaled down version for the 2600 though. Maybe without background graphics, but with the powerups.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:13 PM, NostAlgae37 said:

It might seem a bit biased, but I like Chaotic Grill the best of all (mostly because Burger Time is one of my all-time favorite games and not because I worked on the graphics).  But I also like Dare Devil, Donkey Kong VCS, Mappy, Ninjish Guy in Low-Res World, Space Game, Stay Frosty 2, and Wall Jump Ninja, among others.

Of all of the upcoming games, I too am looking forward to Chaotic Grill the most.  The Atari version of Burger Time, while being a decent game and a pretty amazing accomplishment in its own right, it leaves a lot to be desired. From the demo version, it looks like we will finally, after all these years, get a great version of Burger Time. It looks like it has a whole lot of potential. It's the game I am looking forward to the most. I'm a long time fan of Burger Time, so I just might be biased too.

But I am also amazed at some of the games coming out. Amoeba Jump is a lot of fun. Rally-X looks promising. Aardvark looks outstanding. Mappy and Wizzard of Wor look really good too. Star Castle would be great if I had a LRTF setup. Same with Space Rocks. Scramble looks really good... Damn this list is getting long.. So many good games...

Edited by christo930
  • Like 2

Medieval Mayhem is an all new version of Warlords.  The original carridge is still a great game but it has some limitations; least of all the graphics and sounds. This remake features multiple fireballs, more varied angles and comprehensive options. The graphics are far more impressive and include the animated dragon from the arcade version. It also has a very playable 1 player mode - the original's CPU enemies are idiotic but this remake provides more of a challenge.  I'd say this version is even better than the arcade version making it definitive. But you really need to be playing it in multiplayer to get the most value out of this. Speed adjusted for PAL but there is a large border at the bottom of the screen. However this is remedied in the PAL60 version.

Thrust+ A version of the classic 8bit micro game (itself based on gravitar) for the 2600. Thrust improves on Gravitar quite a bit, the most obvious addition being the fact that you have to retrieve a cargo from underground and bring it back to the surface while it swings from your ship with beautifully realised Newtonian physics.

Gunfight An excellent update of the old Boot Hill arcade game; which was ported to the 2600 originally as Outlaw. This is a far superior version with a lot of options. What is amusing is the fact that you need two hits to record a kill; the first hit knocking your opponent's hat off!  It has a canny CPU opponent but this really needs 2 players for maximum enjoyment.

Fall Down An original game based around keeping ahead of your opponent by dropping down through gaps in a vertically scrolling array of platforms. There's an entertaining vs CPU mode but of course as is the usual case with this sort of thing, 2 player versus is where its at.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 2