IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, 1088XEL/XLD and SIDE/SIDE2 Firmware Version 3 Released

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, woj said:

I feel that there is no difference between "Power On" and "Boot" options here?

The difference is that 'Power On' shows the splash screen when the machine is powered up, and 'Boot' shows is every time a restart is called via the BIOS. This is as per the manual.

If you're expecting the BIOS splash screen to appear when the actual Atari.OS restarts, I don't know why or how one imagines such a thing would work, since the OS can restart without my firmware even knowing about it.

Edited by flashjazzcat
Corrected Freudian Slip

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

The difference is that 'Power On' shows the splash screen when the machine is powered up, and 'Boot' shows is every time a restart is called via the BIOS. This is as per the manual.

If you're expecting the BIOS splash screen to appear when the actual Atari.OS restarts, I don't know why or how one imagines such a thing would work, since the OS can restart without my firmware even knowing about it.

Then either the "Boot" option is misnamed, or I misunderstand what boot is (very likely). What I imagine is that each time U1MB reacts to the boot keys, like HELP, L, X, D, then I would be able to set up U1MB to give me a pause / splash screen to know I have a chance to press them (very useful if one wants to get to the loader to change the arrangement of ATR files). Particular scenario: boot the machine cleanly to get to Basic, say BYE to get to SELF TEST, then press RESET. This moment to me is what constitutes a boot, and if I hold e.g. HELP or L, U1MB will act accordingly and get me to BIOS or the loader. Yet, no splash screen at that point, regardless of the U1MB boot logo setting.

Posted (edited)

It's worked the same way for the better part of a decade, although the splash screen was originally a binary setting (on/off), and I added more granularity precisely so that people weren't encumbered with a splash screen they didn't want or need, perhaps if they'd pressed 'C' in the setup menu and didn't care to sit through the progress bar again.

You're clearly not appreciating the aforementioned difference between a firmware boot and an OS boot, however. If the Atari operating system simply calls its own cold entry point, how is the underlying U1MB firmware to know this or be involved in the process in any way? The firmware simply hands off to the OS at power-on (after the splash screen has disappeared, for instance) and does not get control again until the user presses the RESET key. At that point, the U1MB firmware takes over and checks to see if HELP is pressed. If it is, you're taken to the setup menu. If it's not, the U1MB config is re-loaded and control is passed to the operating system's warmstart routine.

A better scenario (which works) would be: boot to BASIC, press HELP+RESET, then press C or B. If you picked 'Boot', you'll see the splash screen and then have ample opportunity to press any hotkey you like.

Edited by flashjazzcat

34 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

A better scenario (which works) would be: boot to BASIC, press HELP+RESET, then press C or B. If you picked 'Boot', you'll see the splash screen and then have ample opportunity to press any hotkey you like.

So why then I do not get the splash screen after saying 'cold' in SDX? Or is it not the same cold boot as in U1MB? Or is it just for the U1MB's cold start?

EDIT: Better yet, I choose to be able to hold SELECT for cold boot in U1MB, go to basic, hold SELECT, press RESET, the OS indeed goes through the complete restart process, but again, would that not be a moment to see the splash screen?

EDIT2: Playing a bit more with the emulator I now see the point of getting the computer into a "U1MB is invisible state", especially when in fact I want to boot a disk from the OS rather than go the SDX boot path etc. The question about the definition of "cold" remains though...

Edited by woj

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, woj said:

So why then I do not get the splash screen after saying 'cold' in SDX?

Because all this does is jump through the OS coldstart vector. The U1MB firmware is not involved in any way, shape or form in an OS restart like this.

1 hour ago, woj said:

I choose to be able to hold SELECT for cold boot in U1MB, go to basic, hold SELECT, press RESET, the OS indeed goes through the complete restart process, but again, would that not be a moment to see the splash screen?

No, because all this does is force an OS restart. If you want a BIOS restart, press HELP+RESET, then select coldstart. I didn't really want to confuse the situation by offering a pair of coldstart shortcut keys when the user - if he wants more than what is needed 99 per cent of the time (i.e. an OS restart) - can go into the setup menu and press C or B.

1 hour ago, woj said:

I now see the point of getting the computer into a "U1MB is invisible state"

You mean: turning SpartaDOS X off. Yes: it's just a cartridge-based DOS built into the device, and its use is by no means mandatory.

Edited by flashjazzcat