IGNORED

ProPaddle 2 & The Best Atari 2600 Paddle Games

root42

Since used paddle controllers are really expensive over here in Germany, I bought some new controllers, made by a small company it seems. Never heard of those before, but they seem quite nice. Finally the world of paddle based games has opened up to me! 

My review of the controllers, along with testplaying a bunch of the allegedly best paddle games:

• Like 3

From what I've read online these are cobbled together from other controller parts. I'd like to see what the db9 connector looked like out of the box before the video author cut it up. Nearly all the ads online for them only show the "paddle" itself and not the cable and it's connector. I might have misunderstood what was said in the video but if the connector comes all chopped up like that right from the source that is unacceptable. The lables on the controllers are not up to scratch for the price they are charging either, IMO. Those dials are aliexpress bulk el cheapo's too. For 35 euro plus shipping I would expect a much higher quality product.

5 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

Very interesting! Can you share where you bought them? I would love to give them a try!

See the video description. The shop is called 0711spiele.de. Not affiliated with them, I am merely looking for a way to play paddle games on the Atari.

40 minutes ago, Shawn said:

From what I've read online these are cobbled together from other controller parts. I'd like to see what the db9 connector looked like out of the box before the video author cut it up. Nearly all the ads online for them only show the "paddle" itself and not the cable and it's connector. I might have misunderstood what was said in the video but if the connector comes all chopped up like that right from the source that is unacceptable. The lables on the controllers are not up to scratch for the price they are charging either, IMO. Those dials are aliexpress bulk el cheapo's too. For 35 euro plus shipping I would expect a much higher quality product.

Well, I didn't cut anything up. As I said in the video, these controllers look like there were manufactured on a small scale rather than on an industrial scale. I think the seller is a small shop. The DB9 connector seems a bit "how you doing", but other than that I played a couple of hours already and they seem ok.

Alternative to these are used paddle controllers from eBay and the like. Current auctions in Germany have them at 50-80 EUR... The price isn't dirt cheap for these controllers, but I will have quite some hours of fun with them. At some point I'd like to have arcade quality controllers (and I might built some using quality parts), but right now these are "good enough".

7 hours ago, Shawn said:

OK, I kinda thought I might have misunderstood what you where saying. So they come from the seller looking like that? Totally unacceptable. 

Yeah, they look like that, but do work. That being said, I know that with the prober plug it would look much better. :-D

• 2 weeks later...