Jump to content
root42

ProPaddle 2 & The Best Atari 2600 Paddle Games

Recommended Posts

Since used paddle controllers are really expensive over here in Germany, I bought some new controllers, made by a small company it seems. Never heard of those before, but they seem quite nice. Finally the world of paddle based games has opened up to me! 

 

My review of the controllers, along with testplaying a bunch of the allegedly best paddle games:

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice review!

 

There's a PAL60 version of Medieval Mayhem. It'll play at 60fps instead of 50fps, which is helpful for a fast action game.  It'll also shrink that large black area at the bottom of the screen. You can find it in Reply #376 of the Medieval Mayhem topic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting! Can you share where you bought them? I would love to give them a try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've read online these are cobbled together from other controller parts. I'd like to see what the db9 connector looked like out of the box before the video author cut it up. Nearly all the ads online for them only show the "paddle" itself and not the cable and it's connector. I might have misunderstood what was said in the video but if the connector comes all chopped up like that right from the source that is unacceptable. The lables on the controllers are not up to scratch for the price they are charging either, IMO. Those dials are aliexpress bulk el cheapo's too. For 35 euro plus shipping I would expect a much higher quality product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glue this together here??? 👎 What is he talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

Very interesting! Can you share where you bought them? I would love to give them a try!

See the video description. The shop is called 0711spiele.de. Not affiliated with them, I am merely looking for a way to play paddle games on the Atari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Shawn said:

From what I've read online these are cobbled together from other controller parts. I'd like to see what the db9 connector looked like out of the box before the video author cut it up. Nearly all the ads online for them only show the "paddle" itself and not the cable and it's connector. I might have misunderstood what was said in the video but if the connector comes all chopped up like that right from the source that is unacceptable. The lables on the controllers are not up to scratch for the price they are charging either, IMO. Those dials are aliexpress bulk el cheapo's too. For 35 euro plus shipping I would expect a much higher quality product.

Well, I didn't cut anything up. As I said in the video, these controllers look like there were manufactured on a small scale rather than on an industrial scale. I think the seller is a small shop. The DB9 connector seems a bit "how you doing", but other than that I played a couple of hours already and they seem ok.

 

Alternative to these are used paddle controllers from eBay and the like. Current auctions in Germany have them at 50-80 EUR... The price isn't dirt cheap for these controllers, but I will have quite some hours of fun with them. At some point I'd like to have arcade quality controllers (and I might built some using quality parts), but right now these are "good enough".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, root42 said:

Well, I didn't cut anything up.

 

 

 

OK, I kinda thought I might have misunderstood what you where saying. So they come from the seller looking like that? Totally unacceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shawn said:

 

OK, I kinda thought I might have misunderstood what you where saying. So they come from the seller looking like that? Totally unacceptable. 

Yeah, they look like that, but do work. That being said, I know that with the prober plug it would look much better. :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

The case is a hacked Buzz! buzzer.

img_XYbft18BaNLwhmp_r.thumb.jpg.327e4745e3168871ed317d49cff5f776.jpg

That looks exactly like it. Interesting. Well, as long as it works. :) That being said: are there more professional arcade style controllers available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, root42 said:

That looks exactly like it. Interesting. Well, as long as it works. :) That being said: are there more professional arcade style controllers available?

Best Electronics paddles are great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hizzy said:

Best Electronics paddles are great!

Ok, will check them out. But their website is eyecancer! :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 9:36 AM, Lynxpro said:

If I'm not mistaken, the products are from Ralf Puckner.

Wasn't he promising a bunch of Jaguar controllers accessories a few years back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...