IGNORED

Should we create an 8-bit Hardware Development Subforum?

Albert

Should we create a new Atari 8-bit Hardware Development thread?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a new Atari 8-bit Hardware Development thread?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Answering question: Should we create an 8-bit Hardware Development Subforum?

As a person that has done a fair share of unique 8-bit hardware enhancements, I think it would be a very cool place to hang out, as well as a much better arena for me to have discussions about the stuff I've been involved with.

I say go for it ?.

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

it appears (as usual) I am in the minority.

I'd love to have a list of all of the hardware mods and custom software linking to the threads talking about them, however...

Do you prefer to have all these threads in the main Atari 8-bit Computers forum?

..Al

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Are there enough hacks for the 8-bit computers to justify such a thing?

I can add an Atari 8-bit Hacks section to the upcoming Downloads module that I'm working on now. :)

..Al

There are quite a few and people like tix are adding new ones all the time. They tend to get lost in this forum or the 5200 hacks sub forum. 

• Like 2

Sounds good - and it could be populated with old threads for the likes of VBXE, Ultimate 1 Meg, SIDE, IDE +2 etc etc.

Just for easy retrieval sake when I need info on such items, it would make finding it a whole lot easier.

Some related software development could probably go there as well.  And the sale threads for when production runs have occurred or will be happening.

• Like 1

I think the sub forum is a good idea.  My confusion will come from where do I go for "my 1030xe doesn't boot" and "my 1050 doesn't work" threads, or are we talking specifically about new/non-Atari made hardware?  Where would new multi-carts go?  I just want to make sure its clear that a new forum would be for enhancement things, vs diagnostics & troubleshooting of what I just found at the local dump. Or would that all go together now?

My personal opinion is that I'm not sure it is a so good idea. Of course that the topic is cool and there is enough interest. The question is if better to have a separate forum (subforum or not doesn't matter too much), or keep the topic in this generic 8-bit forum. IMHO, unless the volume is too high that you would better separate, I'd prefer not.

59 minutes ago, ijor said:

My personal opinion is that I'm not sure it is a so good idea. Of course that the topic is cool and there is enough interest. The question is if better to have a separate forum (subforum or not doesn't matter too much), or keep the topic in this generic 8-bit forum. IMHO, unless the volume is too high that you would better separate, I'd prefer not.

I find myself agreeing with this point of view.

1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

are we talking specifically about new/non-Atari made hardware?

I *think* so but this is a good question. It seems like it would get pretty confusing if the sub-forumn was a mix of new and classic built hardware. I feel that classic hardware talk would only belong in the sub-forum if the discussion was about adding the new hardware to it. Or maybe I am just stating the obvious.