IGNORED

WANTED: To jump back into the retro gaming scene.

guitarmas

I have totally been out of the retro video game scene for a long time. I really want to get back into the scene. Right now, I'm just looking for a system and some game(s) to catapult me back into the scene. I'm looking for a retro system. I'm not really stuck on any one system. I really like the 3DO scene along with the Atari Jaguar and I had a good collection of these years and years ago. The Sega Saturn is a good system. The Famicom is too. I love the Sega CD and 32x. The Virtual boy.

I'm just really missing the collection I had years ago. I can never replace the special place they had in my heart. I let them get away too easily...

Now...I'm starting anew!

Edited by guitarmas
removed text

5 hours ago, TheCoolDave said:

As long as you have the cash, you can build a collection.  It's going up in value, a system you could of grabbed for $20 10 years ago, its going around $100 or more.

I have a pretty large dup console collection, that I need to go through.

Go through them, absolutely! Keep me posted.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:29 PM, guitarmas said:

Sega CD

32X

I'm looking to pick up a Mega SD so I might sell off my Mega CD II soon. It's a European unit but it's been modified with a multi-BIOS chip so not only can you use it with any Genesis/Mega Drive console, but you can also play CD games from any region as well. Works great with everything that I've thrown at it.

OK, since you're clearly chomping at the bit, I say first thing is: see what's local.

Check for retro cons, check for Facebook groups with meetups, check for local stores. Identifying your avenues for purchase can make it easier to see where you need to start- if buying, say, 3DO games involves waiting on shipping, but a local shop can get you Sega CD right now, for example.

Also decide how important original hardware is for you, or if you'd want a modern clone with better video output. If you'd prefer modern optimized solutions, might be better to skip the old machines altogether and go straight for the Analogue products.

Finally, if you're just too excited to be worried about any of the above and need retro RIGHT NOW- look for a Retron 5. It is NOT the best option & you'll likely get rid of it as you build a collection, but it is a quick way to access a hefty chunk of the retro library.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, guitarmas said:

I have totally been out of the retro video game scene for a long time. I really want to get back into the scene. Right now, I'm just looking for a system and some game(s) to catapult me back into the scene. I'm looking for a retro system. I'm not really stuck on any one system. I really like the 3DO scene along with the Atari Jaguar and I had a good collection of these years and years ago. The Sega Saturn is a good system. The Famicom is too. I love the Sega CD and 32x. The Virtual boy.

I'm just really missing the collection I had years ago. I can never replace the special place they had in my heart. I let them get away too easily...

Now...I'm starting anew!

Since you referenced the Famicom, may I suggest taking a look at the ebay seller zipangugame? They sell famicom games at extremely low prices.

Edited by Magmavision2000

On 7/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, guitarmas said:

Looking for these NES games:

Megaman 1-6

Zelda and link grey and gold carts.

All three turtle games with tournament fighters.

Crystals

Mario 1, 2&3

Gradius and lifeforce

All three Castlevania games

Mario bros.

Why don't you just get a SNES Mini and load it up with ROMs?

Or why not pick one or two fav systems. Focus on those for however far and complete you want to go. And emulate the rest.

Don't know how extensive your previous collection was. But often trying to rebuild years later can take a lot more effort than the first time around. Not to mention slow going. For example I got the VCS when it came out in winter 1977 and accumulated hundreds upon hundreds of carts. For free because I was a kid and my grandparents were getting it all. Eventually many years later I lost interest in the VCS and kind of got rid of everything piecemeal now and then, especially when I stopped renting the storage warehouse.

Then in the mid 1990's I thought I'd try and rebuild for my fav consoles, the VCS and the Atari 800. But it was slow going. Ebay was just coming on-line, and didn't have much yet. The local stores had scattered bits and pieces. A cartridge here and there. No box. No dox.

And one day after spending like 3 hours to acquire just 1 game I let it sink in that I could potentially be spending 10 bucks in gas and 4 hours a day on one of these jaunts. And for what? A bare cart with worn label and title not necessarily of my choice? It all felt spread so thin and time-inefficient. Hollow.

This was a far cry from simply going to drug/grocery store or local department store and picking from a literal wall-of-cartridges all NIB MIB CIB straight from the factory.

I kinda gave up on any collection rebuilds. But I still wanted to collect something. And so be it. I had not trashed my Apple II or TRS-80 Pocket Computer stuff. Nor the PC as I had just gotten a spiffy new 486 a few years ago.

So I decided to focus "collecting" or, rather, accumulating stuff for those platforms. Emulation had started becoming popular and I figured I could pick up all the earlier stuff I used to have that way. Especially nice was that even though the scene was new it harbored many characteristics of long-term growth and expansion. And it also provided access to unobtainable things like arcade games.

And this state of affairs continues on today.

Edited by Keatah

I had a good set. Most of my stuff was CIB. There was an old lady. We called her Granny. She had a huge store at the local flea market. I would go there every weekend and I always bought something. She had quite a few VCS games CIB for $2 a piece. I bought all of them. I had several thousands of dollars invested in my collection. I'm going to start now with the Sega Genesis. I don't like emulation. It feels like I'm playing a cheap rip off. I'm going to get me a Genesis model 1 this weekend. I can't pass it up for $30. I'll even probably buy a choice select of games if they're not too expensive and CIB. If not CIB I may buy a few like Sonic 2, Sonic 3, MK1, MK2. It's one of the only places in town that still sells the older stuff. I'm already feeling the adrenaline of starting something new that isn't very hard to obtain.

Anyone here got something Sega related they wouldn't mind giving up at a decent price?