IGNORED

Creating Atari ST screens with the Gimp

I've done stuff like this.  It would be cool if someone created an ST/STe compatible custom palette instead of adjusting the palette by hand after the fact.   Might even give better results since the computations would be made with the actual colors

You don't need to use Gimp for making Atari ST screens. You can use your favorite paint program on PC, and surely on MAC (what I don't use and don't know it's SW).

I use Paintshop Pro 9 for Windows. That's latest version before Adobe took it over. But Photoshop is fine too. 

The most important part is to set screen to 320x200 resolution, and 16 colors. But may start with more colors, and reducing to 16 when editing is done. Especially as some operations work only in 16M color mode.

Saving it as uncompressed BMP will result in file long exactly 32118 bytes . And that can be converted without any loss to PI1 format - 32034 bytes.

Paintshop Pro supports saving and using custom palettes. Photoshop too.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:41 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

You don't need to use Gimp for making Atari ST screens. You can use your favorite paint program on PC, and surely on MAC (what I don't use and don't know it's SW).

True, but the default option on Windows is abysmal, and the default option on Mac is non-existent.  Gimp is a powerful free program for people who don't want to shell out for an Adobe license

I may use Gimp to come up with a pallette that is compatable with the Atari ST I have been tosing the idea around for a while now , mayb writing a prram to make BBS screens.... f someone has not already  done so. adly , my BBS is lacking in color graphics, I need a list of proper escape codes for setting colors on the Atari 8 bit and ST, as well as  way of connectting to my BBS through STEEM. Any advice on this?

Russ

• 10 months later...

Last time I started a project for Atari ST, I saved into targa (indexed colors, palette in rgb8 or rgba8, 1 byte per pixel) from gimp. Then i wrote a converter tga to iff (4 bits and 1bit for transparency) in gfa. Then my game loaded this iff image.

It was very fun to write all those loader/converter, and then I had no time anymore to go further on my game.