IGNORED

I duddits! C64 mini to full size conversion.

I know everyone is gonna wanna see the inside. When I feel like cracking it open again I'll be sure to update this post.

I fit a C64Mini + PSU, 4-port powered USB3 hub + PSU, KeyRah v2, 3' extension cord, circuit breaker and a 8" PC female to male power cord into an original C64 case. Keyrah v2 allows for 3 things over USB. Original C64 Keyboard and 2 x C64 game ports (original 9 pin DIN) plus power LED. Keyrah plugs into 4-Port powered USB Hub. USB hub plugs into C64mini, c64mini joystick plugs into c64mini, USB thumbdrive with floppy disk imaged plugs into 4-port hub. As always, it's ugly and I love it. But not so bad on the outside to spite C64 case modifications.. 

20190721_142627.thumb.jpg.bc835c884e876b68dc17ca40afb40569.jpg20190721_142610.thumb.jpg.4c383d7e04c3e4eb03fc14f009b833c3.jpg20190721_142642.thumb.jpg.cddca069e76eee4cc48795cbf11ced70.jpg

• Like 5

The keyrah has solder holes for the usb so you can solder the usb wire internally so you dont have to have the usb cable sticking out and plugging back into the keyrah. Also did you set your keyboard in the mini to uk to have keys all correctly located?

On 7/22/2019 at 3:07 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

+1 for Dreamcatcher reference 

? Yes definitely a +1. Was a great reference to a great movie. I use to put my arms up and say i duddits all the time when i accomplished something i was working on. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

The keyrah has solder holes for the usb so you can solder the usb wire internally so you dont have to have the usb cable sticking out and plugging back into the keyrah. Also did you set your keyboard in the mini to uk to have keys all correctly located?

I know and soldered pins and made my own cable. But it didn't work. I can revisit anytime. Wasn't in the mood so I opted to just use the external port.

As for locale setting. I tried both and ended up sticking with US. Both key settings were accurate for me with one or two exceptions for each.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

16 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

? Yes definitely a +1. Was a great reference to a great movie. I use to put my arms up and say i duddits all the time when i accomplished something i was working on. 

My youngest boy's name is Jonas. He always hated me calling him Jonesy. I loved getting him to say "I'm not Jonesy!" So I could look sternly at him and say "You're not Jonesy.".

Oh, and I still throw my hands in the air and yell "I Duddits!" Upon happy victories. Hence the topic. ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sinphaltimus said:

My youngest boy's name is Jonas. He always hated me calling him Jonesy. I loved getting him to say "I'm not Jonesy!" So I could look sternly at him and say "You're not Jonesy.".

Oh, and I still throw my hands in the air and yell "I Duddits!" Upon happy victories. Hence the topic. ;)

?? Hilarious. I love it. So curious, did you test the keys on the the keyboard with the keyrah external switch in both directions?

On 7/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, pimpmaul69 said:

?? Hilarious. I love it. So curious, did you test the keys on the the keyboard with the keyrah external switch in both directions?

Not yet but I will. I've not checked every key. It's an old keyboard and i don't know if it's 100% or not. when I first connected it, I had the jumpers set to Amiga, so things weren't that fun. Went from UK to US on the mini each with the switch in up and down. Until I realized my error. Then I just had the switch down and checked between UK and US again with a few keys and a few Shift+Key strokes, it was working fine. As soon as I saw that I powered it off and having powered it on since...yet. Been busy and squeezed this little project in as fast as i could given the amount of free time I had to make a mess and clean it up again.

No worries though. I plan to thoroughly put this thing through its paces. Especially when my U64Elite arrives. I'll do some side by side comparisons then. 

I got all excited and disappointed at the same time when I saw The c64 I think its called. The new full sized "mini" with keyboard and 2 more USB ports. 

I went for this project because it saved me some dough and I get the added bonus of 4 more ports for 6 total plus the two original controller ports.  But now I'm just baballing....

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 12:30 PM, Sinphaltimus said:

I probably should put my arms up and say iduddits every time I add a new lunchbox to my collection. ?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So my c64mini joystick broken a while back nd I did a repair. Then it starting getting flaky on my so I did a second repair and after testing I have to take it apart one more time to make some adjustments. Got very frustrating and to top it off my repair was a little off so the joystick sits at a minor but noticeable angle which causes issues. Decided to buy a replacement joystick on Amazon. WOA! Sticker shock! $29.99 for replacement joystick. Scroll down to see if there is another listed at a lower price and there is the c64Mini itself for sale...$30.99. Looks like I'm going to have 2 soon. LOL. With free next day delivery. Kind of like ink jet printers these days, almost the same price to buy a new printer instead of new ink cartridges. funny. I'll mod the new joystick proper this time before it breaks. The new mini will now become my "travel" c64mini solution leaving this full sized conversion home when the situation calls for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinphaltimus said:

So my c64mini joystick broken a while back nd I did a repair. Then it starting getting flaky on my so I did a second repair and after testing I have to take it apart one more time to make some adjustments. Got very frustrating and to top it off my repair was a little off so the joystick sits at a minor but noticeable angle which causes issues. Decided to buy a replacement joystick on Amazon. WOA! Sticker shock! $29.99 for replacement joystick. Scroll down to see if there is another listed at a lower price and there is the c64Mini itself for sale...$30.99. Looks like I'm going to have 2 soon. LOL. With free next day delivery. Kind of like ink jet printers these days, almost the same price to buy a new printer instead of new ink cartridges. funny. I'll mod the new joystick proper this time before it breaks. The new mini will now become my "travel" c64mini solution leaving this full sized conversion home when the situation calls for it.

yeah- i've read other folks have done the same considering the price of the stick.  my inlaws got me a set of innext snes-style controllers so ive been using those and threw the stick in my desk drawer.

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Gaaaaah!!! Put the cover back on!! 

Congrats on building the cool thing!

LOL. Yeah I know. It was one of those projects I started without a clean cut plan and just ran around my basement grabbing things I could use. I will never open the cover again as long as it remains 100% working. So far so good. No one needs to know what it looks like under the hood (outside of a couple of internet posts). ;)