IGNORED

AtariProtos Updates

Tempest

22 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

The programmer has (or used to have?) the other version of Gyruss as well as unreleased Atari stuff but I suppose people already asked him several times before.

If you're referring to Anthony Weber, yes he did say that he might have a copy of his version of Gyruss on a floppy somewhere when Scott Stilphen first interviewed him back in 2004.  But Scott has since added this update to that interview...

Anthony never got around to finding the game.  I contacted him in 2011 about it and he replied, "As regards my copies, I still haven't had a chance to look for them (I'm currently in Alabama working for a company using IBM's Rhapsody for systems and software engineering projects) and get back to the house in Illinois infrequently. One of these days...".  Not long after that, there was a fire at his house and presumably anything he still had was lost.

So unfortunately the chances of getting anything from him at this point are slim to none.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, Trebor said:
There's a thread that had a slew, if not all, of the 'black hacks' centralized for downloading.  I think Nukey was behind many of them.

Nope.  Graphics/color-only hacks do not interest me.  Though I have offered Rom locations of what to change on occasion.

• Like 1

Yes ALL will be released eventually.  There will be no hoarding, you have me word on that.

Best I can guess is that this programmer had friends at others companies and they sent him examples of what they were working on.  I don't know if programmers traded betas of stuff they were working on, but I'd guess they did (unless they were at a large company like Atari or Activision).  Some of the games were because the programmer worked for a company that programmed games for larger companies.  I too was surprised at the variety of titles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:22 AM, www.atarimania.com said:

Thanks, we'll wait patiently then :)

The programmer has (or used to have?) the other version of Gyruss as well as unreleased Atari stuff but I suppose people already asked him several times before.

Patiently waiting. Just like for the programmer in the UK who wrote Paperboy for the 7800 and supposedly has it on an ST disc up in his attic. :)

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 6:08 AM, Psionic said:

If you're referring to Anthony Weber, yes he did say that he might have a copy of his version of Gyruss on a floppy somewhere when Scott Stilphen first interviewed him back in 2004.  But Scott has since added this update to that interview...

So unfortunately the chances of getting anything from him at this point are slim to none.

Those damn anarchist time travelers, trying to erase out-of-place artifacts like the alternate Gyruss from our terrible time line. It's bad enough they took down Atari Inc. by installing their Ray Kassar-bot as CEO. And to add extra insult, they programmed him via a Commodore Plus/4 via DIN plugs in the back of his neck during his daily commutes in his limo to and from Napa.

A fire is also the reason why Dan Kramer is apparently the last Atari Inc'er to have in his possession 3-Base Missile Command for Atari 8-bits. He's still waiting for an offer to finally market it as well as convert it to the 5200 so it can be played with his gloriously designed CX53 Trak-Ball Controller.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tempest said:

I don't know how you'd tell.  There's no hidden text in the rom, I checked.

Pity but thank you for confirming.  Still believe it could be Fire Fox just because from the description it resembles from the film of the same name.

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 2:09 AM, Tempest said:

Thanks to the efforts of Ken V. (Dutchman2000) we have access to a former game developers personal archives.  In this archive were many WIP versions of games from many different companies.  Some of the versions are completely different than what was actually released, some are very early single screen demos.  Check out all these new and interesting protos or play them yourself with the attached roms.

Expect more reviews shortly.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.  And if you find something I missed (which is quite probable), please let me know.  :)

Cosmic Swarm

Infiltrate

Kangaroo

Mr. Do's Castle

Omega Race

Popeye

Star Wars: TAG

Super Cobra

Protos.zip 31.57 kB · 114 downloads

I took a look at the screenshots of Super Cobra, linked from your post. I can tell you some details about the development of that game if you're interested. I was one of the programmers.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, bobcurtiss said:

I took a look at the screenshots of Super Cobra, linked from your post. I can tell you some details about the development of that game if you're interested. I was one of the programmers.

I bet many people would be interested. I'd also be interested to know if you think September 1983 is the correct release date for the Atari 2600 version:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-history-1983.html#super_cobra

4 hours ago, bobcurtiss said:

I'd be very interested in any information you'd like to share about SC, Firefox, Solar Fox or any game you worked on.  

9 hours ago, Dutchman2000 said:

Here is a screenshot of the code for Super Cobra for the 8-bit. 

I figured that was developed at Roklan since a prototype turned up in a yellow Roklan shell a few years back.  Ed Schneider was a Chicago-area programmer who worked on games for various publishers including Artworx and Atari.  I believe he was involved with NuFX in their early years, which eventually became EA Chicago.

54 minutes ago, Psionic said:

I figured that was developed at Roklan since a prototype turned up in a yellow Roklan shell a few years back.  Ed Schneider was a Chicago-area programmer who worked on games for various publishers including Artworx and Atari.  I believe he was involved with NuFX in their early years, which eventually became EA Chicago.

I wonder if he was involved in programming Midi Maze for the 8-bits?  NuFX did that conversion.