IGNORED

Capturing/recording gameplay on CRT-TVs (old type TVs) in a good way to display games from ones collection

Giles N

Hi, I have actually bought/collected quite alot of Atari 5200 and Atari 7800 games, but would much rather show videos of actual gameplay (say on YouTube or shared videos), than just posting picture of game cartridge.

But I play these on old-type TVs (with the exeption of my European Atari 7800, which is connected to a modern flat-screen.), but when I try to to record it, the iPad cam just can´t seem to deal with it, resulting in very, very uneven video-captures: frame-update showing, different parts of the CRT-TV screen being at variance too much or too little exposured.

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 12:39 AM, The Mr. Video said:

Really the best option is to use a VCR hooked up to a capture card. But another method (which is the one I use) is to use a DVD recorder and a couple of DVD-RWs.

Pretty much this. There is some USB tuner devices for picking up analogue signals but the one I bought stopped working after awhile. It was a big shame as it was a single device that captured RF consoles. 

Now I use my old method : RF to VCR, scart from VCR to hdmi adapter. Hdmi to capture card. Unfortunately this gives a less than true picture as its upscaled, but it doesn't make a lot of difference for most people. I still plug in direct to TV when playing casually, but this is what I do for footage capturing. 

• Thanks 1