IGNORED

Abyss of Chernobyl (Atari 2600 homebrew)

MemberAtarian

My new game is under development. :) This took 3 days and a lot of stroke to create.
The game will contain 4 mini-games with one specific scene of to series. As you can see, it has the song Sound of Silence and a wave sample of comrade Dyatlov.

Added first game and you can try it! You have to decrase the nuclear fire by releasing graphite on it! If you fly to close or touch the ground, you die! After 500 points, you get an extra life.

Abyss0.19NTSC.bas.bin

The third game called "Suicide Squad" is near to be completed.

It was quite a hard task, I thought I would give up. :D
The first scene is always about the three plungers. Unfortunately, you can't control them at the same time, they represent the three life you have at the beginning.
There is a little pause as the computer generates the next stage. The stage is pitch dark in the beginnin, you have your flashlight to light up parts of the screen. In the water, the whole area will light up as you turn on your flashlight.

Your objective is to find the gear and sink the water so as the hot lava comes down the reactor it won't  cause an explosion. At the same time, there is a nuclear particle that goes by in the water and even if your light is turned off, the geiger tells you where it is. If it is too close, the screen will flash in RED.

TODO:
-Using the gear and end the stage with opening the door. You have to reach the end door on the right before the water goes so down you cannot go up there, because in this game, you cannot jump.
-As the nuclear particle gets too close, it melts you and you die.

2019.11.20.:
The second game seems to be somewhat completed. :)
Rotating the gears can be done by pressing up. If it is done, the water will go down slowly, thus will make the space you can move in shrink. You have to reach the door and leave to the next room.
You can die in two ways: Touching the particle or wait for the counter to go deplete, so the lava will touch the water and explode.

Abyss0.44NTSC.bas.bin

New minigame of Chorniy Voron (Black Raven) added. You have to shooting dogs in a scrolling lowres town, while every touch of them or killing them incrases your madness level, draining you health and slowly killing you. As you go deeper, and you suffer, the background changes and the music gets more and more out of tune. To restore it, you have to kill the raven. After that, the game gets more difficult.

Abyss0.52NTSC.bas.bin

2020.01.12.:

Added the game 90 seconds. You have to throw the graphite down from the floor. You can only use every soldier once in every stage. After 1000 points, you get an extra life. But beware, you can get stack and then, you will have to wait for inevitable death.

Abyss0.58NTSC.bas.bin

2020.02.20.:

You can handle and blow up the reactor, use boron to kill fire, go underwater and turn the gears, kill the animals in the surroundings and get rid of the graphite on the roof, all in one game.
Gonna do the manual soon.

Abyss0.79NTSC.bas.bin

2020.03.31.:
Final ROM (hope so!) and real hw recording:

Abyss0.81PAL.bas.bin

Abyss0.81NTSC.bas.bin

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, easmith said:

Second song . 

Also , where are final versions of your games? 

This one is definately in the early stage. :D Unfortunately, there is no physical release yet, only ROMS. They can be found in their own topics in the homebrew discussion.

Releases for AtariAge: Plague
Releases for Retronics: Apollyon, BeeWare, Fear of the Dark, Choplifter!, Dystopia, Death Match, Silver Bride (music cartridge)

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have worked nearly two days creating that damn scoretable on the bottom, its horrible to do the timing on the VCS. Anyway, as you can see, the chopter is a flickered P0, I tried to make the movement physics as realistic as it could be. You will swing a rope with a create of boron, so you can drop it on the burning reactor.

Edited by MemberAtarian
YT link did not work
  • Like 2

Another little improvement. I added the rope and the cargo, it's movement depends on how you drive, and sometimes a little drop of boron falls.

In the game, one some levels (Hellsgate, Suicide Squad, 90 Seconds) you will listen to drone permanently to give a disturbing atmosphere, of course you will be able to turn it off with the left difficulty switch. There will be a sound effect telling you how close you high the radiation level is, I will add it later.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Abyss of Chernobyl LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Deimos Lander (2017 WIP) by jbanes
- Abyss of Chernobyl (2019 WIP) by Fehér János Zoltán aka MemberAtarian
- Beast (2019 WIP) by Dylldophlo
- Boulder Dash (2012) by Andrew Davie & Thomas Jentzsch

EDIT: Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

• 1 month later...

This is the third game of Abyss of Chernobyl.

It was quite a hard task, I thought I would give up. :D
The first scene is always about the three plungers. Unfortunately, you can't control them at the same time, they represent the three life you have at the beginning.
There is a little pause as the computer generates the next stage. The stage is pitch dark in the beginnin, you have your flashlight to light up parts of the screen. In the water, the whole area will light up as you turn on your flashlight.

Your objective is to find the gear and sink the water so as the hot lava comes down the reactor it won't  cause an explosion. At the same time, there is a nuclear particle that goes by in the water and even if your light is turned off, the geiger tells you where it is. If it is too close, the screen will flash in RED.

TODO:
-Using the gear and end the stage with opening the door. You have to reach the end door on the right before the water goes so down you cannot go up there, because in this game, you cannot jump.
-As the nuclear particle gets too close, it melts you and you die.

• 2 weeks later...

The second game seems to be somewhat completed. :)
Rotating the gears can be done by pressing up. If it is done, the water will go down slowly, thus will make the space you can move in shrink. You have to reach the door and leave to the next room.
You can die in two ways: Touching the particle or wait for the counter to go deplete, so the lava will touch the water and explode.

Abyss0.44NTSC.bas.bin

• 4 weeks later...

If your favorite hardware can't do scrolling, do it on your own. Complately done in ASM.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use this after I will work with my own engine because it will store the playfield in ROM, instead of RAM, but since this one will be finished in bB, I tried to do something new.

But I learnt something important, how to use 2bit variables and have a great idea how I will use nibbles with really a few CPU cycles.

• 2 weeks later...

Added some elements to the Black Raven minigame in Abyss of Chernobyl. You can shoot while ducking, while standing and you can shoot straight up. I added the dogs as well. If they touch you, the madness level raises slowly and if you kill them, it will rise as well, but add some points. As madness rises, colors and music will be dissorted more and more, so if you don't kill the Raven, the main character of the folk song and reset the madness meter, you die.

• 2 weeks later...

New minigame of Chorniy Voron (Black Raven) added. You have to shooting dogs in a scrolling lowres town, while every touch of them or killing them incrases your madness level, draining you health and slowly killing you. As you go deeper, and you suffer, the background changes and the music gets more and more out of tune. To restore it, you have to kill the raven. After that, the game gets more difficult.

Abyss0.52NTSC.bas.bin

• 2 weeks later...

What you can do right now: -Turn the reactor of and reach the bottom of performance (30 MW) or make it reach the top of performance, depending on the number of rods -Turn on stabilizer of water flow speed or let it reach top speed. -Make rods go up or down. TODO: Add temperature change and add bubbles to hot water.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...