IGNORED

My Atari 7800 Arcade Machine

SalemFrost7800

This is a project I have been wanting to do for years and with the help of Arcade1up and Edladdin I was finally able to bring it to life however this has been a Nightmare project especially the monitor. It's not done but it's up and running so I wanted to share a couple pictures with everyone. I plan to add a bezel, a better controller board and marquee and side art:

78001.jpeg

78002.jpeg

78003.jpeg

• Like 14

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, save2600 said:

What are you going to do for a monitor bezel? I'd probably just get yourself some smoked plexi and electrical tape off (Or paint) the silver border around the TV.

Wonder if some black foam board would work as well?

22 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Wonder if some black foam board would work as well?

I've used those too, but when you cut them, need to cover up the white edges with paint or a black sharpie. Maybe cut it so the board fits around the TV, then get a piece of regular plexi to finish it off. Poster board, which is thinner, also works if space is super tight - but again, need to take a sharpie the cut edges. If going that route, can cut so it covers the edges/border of the TV and use double-sided tape around to affix it.

Smoked plexi is best and looks more like a real arcade. Might just need to bump up the brightness and/or contrast a bit is all.

18 hours ago, SalemFrost7800 said:

The marquee is the one that came with the arcade1up machine that I am modding, I plan to replace the marquee and the side art with Atari 7800 themed images. I also need to replace the controller board at some point.

I'm not sure how much time you've spent in Arcade1Up forums, but at this point there are plenty of people that do side-business in various mods and the most popular ones are marquees and control panels. I made a Raspberry Pi-based multicade with a modified Vs. Super Mario Bros. theme. I designed a control panel based on the original Vs. arcades, but with enough buttons to emulate up to a SNES and a button layout based around the SNES controller. One of the vendors used a CNC to cut out the holes and shipped it to me and I just put the hardware on and stuck it in the system.

I did toss around the idea of making A1Up mods for some of my actual systems, but I eventually decided that I probably didn't have enough space for too many of them (I already have 5 A1Ups) and I wasn't quite ready to give up the whole 'old school experience' of games/controllers/couch/tv, but it's a cool idea so it's nice to see someone doing it!

vssmb1up.jpg

• Like 2

I found a guy who does custom bezels and I plan to have one made soon. I also need a custom control panel and I think I know someone who can help with that. I am also working on an Arcade1up Colecovision mod, but with this one I am using an "Ultimate Colecovison Flashback" (if u have not heard of these google them they are amazng) since it is HDMI I am able to us the monitor that came with arcade1up using a board I bought on DIY Retro Arcade. The picture is AMAZING and the game play is awsome, I plan to buy the CV controler from Edladdin in a couple weeks.

Edited by SalemFrost7800

2 hours ago, SalemFrost7800 said:

I found a guy who does custom bezels and I plan to have one made soon. I also need a custom control panel and I think I know someone who can help with that. I am also working on an Arcade1up Colecovision mod, but with this one I am using an "Ultimate Colecovison Flashback" (if u have not heard of these google them they are amazng) since it is HDMI I am able to us the monitor that came with arcade1up using a board I bought on DIY Retro Arcade. The picture is AMAZING and the game play is awsome, I plan to buy the CV controler from Edladdin in a couple weeks.

If you're just going to be gutting the controller and putting it in a custom control panel, then you might as well just wire new switches to an original controller and just get standard arcade parts. Should be quite a bit cheaper as you don't have to pay for the enclosure twice that way - although you would probably need to do some basic soldering - but the soldering would be about as basic as it gets.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, save2600 said:

What are you going to do for a monitor bezel? I'd probably just get yourself some smoked plexi and electrical tape off (or paint) the silver border around the TV. There's probably a glass store in your town or nearby. Those places will cut whatever you want...

I have a bezel from a centipede arcade1up cabinet, wonder if there is a way to remove the print or just paint over it and cut it to size??

Edited by SalemFrost7800

• 1 year later...

I've been wanting to do this for years. I made a MAME machine 20 years ago, but no longer have it. With the Concerto, I really need to get cracking and make one of these, but I'm going to use a CRT...

Have not found a suitable one at Goodwill yet. Too many people buy them for $1 for target practice around here...

• Like 1