IGNORED

TI Car Wars Source Code...?

SoftTango

Hi,

I am on the verge of starting my next iOS remake, and you guys here have provided me previously with the source code to Parsec and Munch Man - both of which I re-made an published.

I am seriously looking at TI-99/4a Car Wars for the next game. I don't want to ask without searching but I've trawled everything I can think of and cannot find it.

Does anyone know if it's available anywhere?

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoftTango said:

Hi,

I am on the verge of starting my next iOS remake, and you guys here have provided me previously with the source code to Parsec and Munch Man - both of which I re-made an published.

I am seriously looking at TI-99/4a Car Wars for the next game. I don't want to ask without searching but I've trawled everything I can think of and cannot find it.

Thanks!

I am presently learning Assembly on the TI-99/4A. Reading source code from older games would be a nice resource to have available. Maybe a thread of its own?

Why don’t you want to ask without searching? This forum is here for many reasons, one of which is making discovery a little easier. To facilitate learning.

Remember now, the only stupid questions are the ones we’re afraid to ask.

If someone here can save this guy hours of research please do so. The notion that anyone should spend hours of research/work before asking for help is invalid. 

Now where do I find that Parsec and Munchman code again?

7 hours ago, SoftTango said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Parsec and Munch Man for iOS devices?  cool.  i may have to download those from the app store.  of course I will not get any work done during the day!

16 hours ago, Airshack said:

I am presently learning Assembly on the TI-99/4A. Reading source code from older games would be a nice resource to have available. Maybe a thread of its own?

Why don’t you want to ask without searching? This forum is here for many reasons, one of which is making discovery a little easier. To facilitate learning.

Remember now, the only stupid questions are the ones we’re afraid to ask.

If someone here can save this guy hours of research please do so. The notion that anyone should spend hours of research/work before asking for help is invalid. 

Now where do I find that Parsec and Munchman code again?

Hi - I just like to try and find stuff myself first :)

I've emailed the original author, Jim Dramis, but no response yet. I doubt he still has it lying around though!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Unable to find a copy of the original code, I got hold of a GPL disassembler to produce a disassembly of the original GROM. 

The one I used was xdg99 (https://github.com/endlos99/xdt99/blob/master/xdg99.py) which worked a treat.

Then I trawled my way throught the GPL docs here : http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/gpl.htm

Finally, I managed to track down the routines for handling crashing into the opponent car, modified the GROM binary and used Classic99 emulator to run the modified cartridge GROM.

The results... I can play Car Wars without colliding with enemy cars to see what the later levels are like!

Video here : 

If anyone wants to do the same, there are 3 bytes in the CarWarsG.BIN to patch.

Change the bytes at 0d52, 0d8c and 0d6f to zero.

Enjoy :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 7/22/2019 at 2:40 PM, SoftTango said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Did you build the cheat codes in?  You should also announce any beta here so we can have fun.... ?

As the one that posted the scanned Munchman source code up here (I got it directly from John Phillips), I'm pretty impressed with your iOS app!  I also think I put Moonmine and Hopper up there, and there might be some more.

Edited by acadiel