IGNORED

Atari's involvement with sports teams

JayAre

In 1982, Atari sponsored a Bill Madlock "signed" Pittsburgh Pirates promotional baseball bat.  There was also an Atari 1983 Pirates pocket schedule.  There are a couple of online videos for TV ads from 1982 featuring Chuck Tanner, the Pirates manager at that time.  One ad is for an Atari Fireworks Night promotion at a Pirates home game, while the other is an ad for 2600 Pac-Man; the ad takes place in the Pirates clubhouse.  I thought all this Atari/Pirates cross-marketing was really interesting, so I did a little research, and I see that Warner Communications (which owned Atari at that time) had 48% ownership of the team from 1982-1986.  Atari's involvement with the Pirates now makes sense, considering the relationship between the two brands.  Also in 1982, Atari partnered with another Pittsburgh sports team, this time the Penguins.  And the result was the Atari Street Hockey Stick.

Atari also sponsored a trio of promotional baseball bats with the names of Jack Clark, Joe Morgan and Chili Davis of the San Francisco Giants.  And there's also a 45rmp record from 1982 with the Atari logo featuring the Giants version of the song "Talkin' Baseball".  I assume these two Giants promotions came about due to the proximity of San Francisco to Atari's headquarters in Sunnyvale; the two cities are about 41 miles apart.  It seems that all the promotional items mentioned above were giveaways at games.

I've also seen a New York Cosmos duffle bag with the Atari logo.  And finally, in 1983, Atari ran a centerfold ad in magazines promoting a sweepstakes.  Each ad featured the 1983 season schedule for either one or two MLB teams.  I've seen several of these ads, each with different teams, so it's possible that every major league club was represented in the ads.

Based on the items above, Atari ran promotions with MLB, NHL and even a pro soccer team.  But, that I know of, no involvement with the NFL or NBA, interestingly enough.

I don't know if Atari partnered with any other sports teams, but it's possible.  Has anyone seen any other Atari promotions/merchandise featuring specific sports teams?  Thanks.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 2:13 PM, JayAre said:

I thought all this Atari/Pirates cross-marketing was really interesting, so I did a little research, and I see that Warner Communications (which owned Atari at that time) had 48% ownership of the team from 1982-1986.

Between this and all of the entities involved with the Swordquest contest, Warner was seemingly really involved with cross-promoting all of their various properties! 

• Like 1

In the 80s Atari sponsored a "Soccer Six" tournament that was televised for a few years in the UK.

It was an indoor 6 a side variation.  5 a side indoor is very popular here in the UK as a participant sport but the Atari event was supported by professional soccer/football 11-a-side league teams who put teams together just for the event. The matches were sellouts and the TV audiences were in the millions.

It worked until UK teams were allowed back into European mainland competitions - the ban had been put in place because of English supporter violence in Europe.

Edited by davyK

Pete Rose Baseball comes to mind. I would assume the Phillies would have had something to say about that. 

I wasn't aware of those other promotions and partnerships. Seemed to me that only Mattel Intellivision was interested in licensing the official sport league names at the time. Maybe they tied things up with some kind of exclusivity arrangement?

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Pete Rose Baseball comes to mind. I would assume the Phillies would have had something to say about that.

Pete Rose Baseball was released by Absolute in December 1988 (according to Random Terrain), when Rose was managing the Reds and just a few months before the investigation into his gambling began. He also, of course, appeared in this early Atari TV commercial. I'm no expert on sports endorsements, but I feel fairly comfortable saying teams have pretty minimal input if any when it comes to an individual player's sponsorship deals. Generally those are agreements made between the player and the company, going back to the days when pro athletes weren't bazillionaires and had to find ways to make ends meet during the off season.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, jhd said:

Between this and all of the entities involved with the Swordquest contest, Warner was seemingly really involved with cross-promoting all of their various properties! 

Great point.  Warner owned (and still owns) DC Comics, which produced the comic books for the Swordquest series.  And, at the time, Warner also owned the Franklin Mint, which produced the prizes for the contest.

16 hours ago, Shawn said:

They got Pele to sign off on his likeness for Soccer (football) for a while.

Maybe Atari's sponsorship of the New York Cosmos duffle bag came about due to Pele having played with the Cosmos and Atari's previous commercial relationship with him through the release of the Pele's Soccer game.

7 hours ago, davyK said:

In the 80s Atari sponsored a "Soccer Six" tournament that was televised for a few years in the UK.

It was an indoor 6 a side variation.  5 a side indoor is very popular here in the UK as a participant sport but the Atari event was supported by professional soccer/football 11-a-side league teams who put teams together just for the event. The matches were sellouts and the TV audiences were in the millions.

It worked until UK teams were allowed back into European mainland competitions - the ban had been put in place because of English supporter violence in Europe.

I had forgotten all about this one.  Really interesting.  Thanks for the details on the tournament.

Edited by JayAre

• 8 months later...

This isn't exactly what my original post was about, but it's pretty close, so I decided to update the thread.  Below is a magazine ad that recently appeared on eBay.  As I mentioned before in the thread, Atari ran promotions with MLB and the NHL.  But from I've seen, nothing with the NFL or NBA.  The attached ad is the result of some partnership between Atari and the USFL.  Maybe Atari tried to strike a deal with the NFL but was unable to, and decided to go with the USFL instead.

I had never seen this before and thought it was pretty interesting.  I thought you guys might want to see it.

Go Maulers!

image.thumb.png.cba9a9715672be6a7120aada3c56cf80.png

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

It appears that Algavision (Swedish agent for Atari) sponsored the division 2 team Djurgårdens IF Fotboll in the 1983 season (spring to fall).

lagbild_fotboll_1983.thumb.jpg.313a81324446664f8d58934af232bcf0.jpg

This was a rough year even over here. Bonnier owned the board game company Alga and its sibling Algavision which handled Atari video games and computers. These businesses made a lot of losses so Bonnier had to sell both: Alga to Brio later in 1983 and Vasatronic (Algavision after renaming it) to Proventus in early 1984. From there it quickly went downhill and Atari as a brand was almost eradicted from the Swedish market for at least 2 years.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

A friend asked if I could post pictures of the items that I mentioned in my initial post.  Here they are, along with a couple of other items I recently came across.

1982 Pittsburgh Pirates pocket schedule

sports30000.thumb.jpg.19e70b489da3f4b434367d915f0e516a.jpg

(back of schedule)

sports40000.thumb.jpg.e698d54cc14e1ab75a9c3c626f8b5f2e.jpg

1983 Pittsburgh Pirates pocket schedule

sports50000.thumb.jpg.4c51182070c644b68a791c61231ac7f0.jpg

(back of schedule)

sports60000.thumb.jpg.c728523706f432c270f00c3172e402a4.jpg

1982 Pittsburgh Pirates (Bill Madlock) bat

piratesbat.thumb.jpg.646d9d7b269d949bb6f6f7e9aa1ba91b.jpg

1982 San Francisco Giants 45rmp record

sports70000.thumb.jpg.b0f7a210f4e0730660bd36f2cdb5478d.jpg

(back of record sleeve)

sports80000.thumb.jpg.b495eeb5cceb98c5eeabf38c78433d84.jpg

1982 San Francisco Giants bats (Joe Morgan, Jack Clark, Chili Davis & Darrell Evans)

giantsbats.thumb.jpg.86e6b9261278c96160bca6c085efef86.jpg

1983 RealSports MLB schedule

mlb.jpg.039a1aa4b64347c3e8e7fa6cd4c48d85.jpg

1982 Pitt Panthers pocket schedule

sports0000.thumb.jpg.502177985413306d214fcea18b2bf4db.jpg

(back of schedule)

sports20000.thumb.jpg.66a0abcab82cabe1287979fc2c1e0f1d.jpg

1982 Pittsburgh Penguins street hockey stick

ataripeguins.thumb.jpg.3ebf22fd918bcda492a828c98b10872e.jpg

New York Cosmos duffel bag

ataricosmos.jpg.9a47d236bafcf2ffa31801de02b54cd6.jpg

1982 6-a-side soccer championship program (U.K.)

sports100000.thumb.jpg.d524d1add62073801af56c0ac58c666b.jpg

1982 6-a-side soccer championship brochure (U.K.)

sports90000.thumb.jpg.f90db4525e84309afe351fb1efb0760d.jpg

1981 Arsenal game program (U.K.)

atariarsenal2.thumb.jpg.dcfab957ca194cf000eb28ecef468c79.jpg

The above game program was also included in a promotional kit; all the items in the kit came inside this Pele folder (U.K.)

atariarsenal.thumb.jpg.b0e7f91d1801d1c1b8b17e0279b9302d.jpg

1982 TV ad for Atari Fireworks Night at a Pirates home game

1982 Pirates TV ad for 2600 Pac-Man

1982 TV ad for the Penguins street hockey stick

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/video/flash-back-friday-1982-tv-spot/c-44980203

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Behold.  A 1982 Golden State Warriors pennant sponsored by none other than Atari.  It's signed by several of the players.  The pennant was a giveaway at a Warriors home game during the 81-82 season.

Well, to date, I've seen Atari-sponsored merchandise for MLB, NHL and now the NBA.  That just leaves the NFL.  I wonder if Atari had any kind of partnership with the 49ers as well.

Image 1 - Vintage 1981-82 Golden State Warriors Atari promotion autographed pennant

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 3