IGNORED

Intellivision White Label Variants

I'll add that, its my understanding, any white label cartridges that don't say "I.I." were made during the INTV Corp days.  But I don't think you'll see "INTV Corp" on any boxes or instructions of the Mattel reprints.  Maybe INTV Corp continued to print these materials with the Intellivision Inc name.

58 minutes ago, silentshadow56 said:

So I'm on the blue sky rangers site (which is chock full of so much information so thanks to all!) and I'm finding the history section and the timeline section to not really line up properly. 

So 1983 Mattel Electronics starts to hemorrhage money in the first half of the year prompting them to replace management with Valeski being brought on as the Senior Vice President of Marketing. Unfortunately, he never even got the chance to make an impact as everything was already in play through the end of 1983 and after posting a 300 million dollar loss closes the doors of Mattel Electronics in January of 1984.

Valeski, having faith in the Intellivision brand if it's properly restructured, gathers a group of investors and purchases the Intellivision name, game rights, and inventory. It is here that Intellivision Inc. is founded, correct? Intellivision Inc. is short lived as once Valeski sold out of the preexisting stock that he purchased from Mattel he tested his theory that the market was primed for new games and released ones that were already finished, but never released. Upon that success he bought out the initial investors and restructured a final time as INTV Corporation in 1985?

Sorry, if above is a bit spotty as it's me just kind of piecing things together and thinking out loud, but would a simplistic timeline be appropriate as such:

Mattel Toys uses the brand name "Mattel Electronics" to sell it's intellivision console and games

Mattel Toys spins off Mattel Electronics as a separate company

Valeski purchases Intellivision name, game rights, existing inventory and forms Intellivision Inc.

Valeski buys out initial investors of Intellivision Inc. and forms INTV

Is the above ordering of events correct? I want to make sure I understand that and don't over complicate things before I segue way into my next question

I think INTV Corp was just a name change of Intellivision Inc (much like Blue Sky Rangers, Inc is a name change from Intellivision Productions, Inc). The history on the site was written by Keith Robinson, and I basically just copied and pasted it from the old site when updating. I think the old product released as Intellivision Inc and the new product as INTV Corp must have overlapped some.

1 minute ago, BSRSteve said:

Not sure yet. We don't have any space. I may come, but I don't think we will, generally speaking, have a presence.

I can‘t speak for the other guys, but I‘m sure we will have a place for you at the Intellivision community booth.

• Like 1

@BSRSteve, again thanks so much to you and everyone else here responding because this is just absolutely fascinating. I never realized how rich and complex the intellivision history really was!

In regards to the truncated timeline I wrote out when I said "forms intellivision incorporated"/"forms INTV" I essentially meant renamed. 

So with hopefully all that being in the right spaces in my head I did have a few other questions I was hoping to get answers for

1. When Valeski purchased the old inventory in order to sell it he had to remove Mattel branding so is this why certain games have a white label just slapped over the existing label?

2. Valeski eventually would've sold out of all the old inventory so when producing new copies of old inventory he switched it to the white labels due to the fact that it was simply cheaper than the color labels they initially had?

3. There's I.I. and then there is I.I. Singapore what's the difference on those? 

4. The dates on the white labels correspond with their original release date, correct? Because for example "Hockey" says 1979, but in 79 Mattel would've been producing the games so just trying to make sense of the dates and timeline.

5. Is it fair/safe to say that if it's a white label and DOESN'T say I.I. that it was then an INTV release or is this one of those things where no one can really confirm it one way or another?

Again, a huge THANK YOU to everyone that's responded even if it wasn't directly answering my questions because all of this has been fascinating. If anyone can answer any of the new above questions for me that would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, silentshadow56 said:

1. When Valeski purchased the old inventory in order to sell it he had to remove Mattel branding so is this why certain games have a white label just slapped over the existing label?

2. Valeski eventually would've sold out of all the old inventory so when producing new copies of old inventory he switched it to the white labels due to the fact that it was simply cheaper than the color labels they initially had?

3. There's I.I. and then there is I.I. Singapore what's the difference on those? 

4. The dates on the white labels correspond with their original release date, correct? Because for example "Hockey" says 1979, but in 79 Mattel would've been producing the games so just trying to make sense of the dates and timeline.

5. Is it fair/safe to say that if it's a white label and DOESN'T say I.I. that it was then an INTV release or is this one of those things where no one can really confirm it one way or another?

1. I believe that is correct, though certainly the old inventory was sometimes shipped in new boxes, also.

2. Certainly the color of the labels was switched largely because it was cheaper

3. Traditionally, cartridges that don't say where they are manufactured are manufactured in the US. I.I. Singapore is for cartridges manufactured in Singapore. I.I. by itself was probably manufactured elsewhere, perhaps US.

4. Yes the dates on the white labels are supposed to correspond with the original release date, which is the copyright date on the software.

5. It is probably likely that the white labels without I.I. are the later, possibly (perhaps probably) INTV releases, but I don't know if that is SAFE.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:01 PM, intellivotion said:

just to add my two Eurocents to the deep and exhaustive dissertation as usual...

AFAIK, the I.I. games which are orphan of one or more components (or at least they have never been seen until now) are:

- Checkers (existing: manual; missing/never-seen: label/cart, box and overlays)

- Word Fun (existing: manual; missing/never-seen: label/cart, box and overlays)

- Tron Solar Sailor (existing: manual; missing/never-seen: label/cart, box and overlays)

- Loco-Motion (existing: manual and label/cart; missing/never-seen: box and overlays)

- Frog Bog (existing: manual and overlays; missing/never-seen: label/cart, box and overlays)

- Tennis (existing: manual; missing/never-seen: label/cart, box and overlays)

As regards the rarity, I concur with everything that has already been said: SSBL Baseball, Backgammon, Loco-Motion are certainly the toughest to find, followed by Hockey, Snafu and Roulette. To talk about the white label variants (small labels, large labels, rounded corners, made in Singapore etc, etc) is another story

my bad, I had totally forgotten about the I.I. overlays for Frog Bog found by @Spadafermo51 awhile ago:

List updated above

On 7/26/2019 at 1:46 PM, JasonlikesINTV said:

Holy crap, Roulette sold for $50?  I guess it is pretty rare, but wow.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183898843219

Yes and no...

The buyer was from Italy and offered me $35 saying after international shipping and customs fees he would be paying over $60 so I said that his offer was fair and was happy to make a deal with him

As for the games I have listed on eBay I always prefer to sell them not on eBay because then I don't have to deal with the fees. If you're interested in any of the games just message me here and I will be more than glad to work out a deal with any one of you. You were all super helpful and I'm beyond appreciative of that and helping you fill out your collection at a reasonable price is the least I can do

6 hours ago, silentshadow56 said:

Yes and no...

The buyer was from Italy and offered me $35 saying after international shipping and customs fees he would be paying over $60 so I said that his offer was fair and was happy to make a deal with him

Yes, a little expensive but I only had the box and the instruction booklet ........... I wanted to complete it.
Thank you

DSC_0214.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 10:51 PM, JasonlikesINTV said:

Here's a decent read on the subject.

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/intvcorp/index.html

During the Intellivision Inc stock liquidation days there was a lot of nonstandardized labeling.  I believe they weren't allowed to sell anything with Mattel branding, so they printed up new cheap cart labels, manuals, and boxes.  A few of the higher selling games also got reprinted overlays with no Mattel logos, but I believe they kinda let things slide in the overlay department and didn't worry too much about the Mattel logos for most games.  As a result, there are numerous variants of cart labels and manuals as I'm sure they printed them up in multiple waves, each time changing a few details.  In some cases, where they were unloading stock of carts that already had colored labels, they just slapped a new white label over the Mattel one.  I found this pretty interesting and decided to collect these.

IMG_20180628_213028.jpg

@JasonlikesINTV are you missing this one or have you found it since this pic was taken?

D877C330-A0D9-443F-878A-01D27F95100F.jpeg