IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Disk Drives & Mini Power Supply use/value

doubledown

Are people still using Coleco ADAM disk drives or has everyone switched to some sort of SD card type thing-a-ma-jig?  Reason I ask is I have 4 for sure (maybe five) Disk Drives I'm going to need to get rid of and just trying to get an idea of use/value?  I know all 4 work, I have Coleco power supplies for 2, and I know the more readily available Atari disk drive power supplies are a substitute for the other 2.  All 4 have the drive cable, and I know I have the box/packaging/manual for either 1 of these 4, or that box, has a 5th drive inside (can't remember) so 1 is complete in box.  I saw it the other night, but can't find it right this second.  

What about ADAM mini power supplies (printer replacement)?  I have the last mini power supply that I made for myself that I'll need to get rid of too after I completely test all of my ADAM hardware/software and the likes.  I remember people use to really want one of these.  Just trying to get some sort of idea of value of these items.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input.

lsPW6V.jpg

32 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Are people still using Coleco ADAM disk drives or has everyone switched to some sort of SD card type thing-a-ma-jig?  Reason I ask is I have 4 for sure (maybe five) Disk Drives I'm going to need to get rid of and just trying to get an idea of use/value?  I know all 4 work, I have Coleco power supplies for 2, and I know the more readily available Atari disk drive power supplies are a substitute for the other 2.  All 4 have the drive cable, and I know I have the box/packaging/manual for either 1 of these 4, or that box, has a 5th drive inside (can't remember) so 1 is complete in box.  I saw it the other night, but can't find it right this second.  

What about ADAM mini power supplies (printer replacement)?  I have the last mini power supply that I made for myself that I'll need to get rid of too after I completely test all of my ADAM hardware/software and the likes.  I remember people use to really want one of these.  Just trying to get some sort of idea of value of these items.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input.

lsPW6V.jpg

Disk drives are worth $250 and up, especially working; and are very sought after.  Power supply in the $50-75 range maybe.

Disk Drives are still pretty scarce but do regularly show up on eBay in auctions or as BINs. Final sales price can range from the ungodly low price of $19.95 (seller didn't know what they had) on up to $300 (fully tested and CIB). I would search eBay for "ADAM Computer" and "Coleco ADAM",  use the filter to display sold items and then scroll through the results to see what the Disk Drives have sold for to give yourself a better idea of their value. Additionally, coming from a trusted seller as yourself who will spend the time to clean and thoroughly test what you sell adds a lot of value in my mind.

BTW, yes, ADAMnet SD Drives such as MicroFox's VDD and Sean Myer's ADE made by John Lundy as the ADE Pro are all the rage now. The ADE Pro is well supported with firmware upgrades and an actual ADAM menu program written by MilliV that is similar to AtariMax's SD Cart menu program. Another menu program written by Jim Walters is progressing nicely and uses SmartKEY displays just like Coleco programs.

Rey (pictured) and MilliV have made runs of professionally looking ADAM Power Supplies, but these are no longer available and people have reverted to making their own power supplies thanks to all the info that is readily available. I would say a used PS such as the one you pictured could sell for $50, if not a little more.

20150221_123547.jpg

Thanks for the info guys.  I had looked at "sold" auctions on ebay, but wasn't sure if those were legit or not. I know I've seen people artificially bumping market prices with ebay before.  I remember 2 items that I had looked at not all that long ago whereas something rare was being sold (BIN only) for what I thought was a bit high.  But then when I checked "sold" items on ebay there was only 1 previous listing (BIN also) which sold for even more.  Amazingly the sold item and the current item are offered by the same person.  Seems like they list the first/sold item ridiculously high then have friend or alternate ebay ID "buy" the item, then relist item for lower price so when someone is "comparison shopping" they think...oh what a great deal I'm getting.  

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

$250 and up for an Adam drive is still ridiculous in my book. But hey, as long as some buyers are willing to pay that much, then I guess that's the going price. 

$250 is about what they sold for when released and pretty much stayed there thru the late 80s when user's groups/mail orders acquired and sold off the remaining Coleco stock.

So, if you adjust for inflation over the last 35 years, disk drives should be selling for $605 now.... plus a little more because of their scarcity.

Just saying!

Sounds reasonable on the surface, but that's not the reality for most vintage items. An Apple II system fully decked out with 2 drives and monitor goes for less than $200 these days for example, while to original price would have easily been a couple of grands back in the day.  I think the biggest factor at play here is the scarcity of the drives for the Adam, which is driving the prices.

• Like 1

This is not to sound negative but the ADAM was a piece of garbage that I loved.
I write programs for it the best I can but as far as original hardware they are like the FBody Trans AM  GARBAGE and not a classic no matter how you slice it.

The only reason why the drives are so high on ebay is because people can sell them for that price buying into the illusion that just because they are from the 80's they are worth it.  Maybe last year but not now when there are alternatives.

I wanted one just to transfer my old files but you have some unreasonable dude that wants to over price them so I put an old disk drive in my PC and backed up all my disks that way.  Now they are all on an SD card along with every other piece of Coleco software I can get my mitts on and it did not cost me $300.

If I were a collector then I would buy and set it on a shelf.
After my mothers funeral where all her stuff went to good will or the garbage...All I see is my collection going back on ebay for some estate sale, trash or the recycle center.

So at the end I decided to use my money for vacations and my family.

Get what you can for them and move on.

Edited by Mike Harris

5 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

This is not to sound negative but the ADAM was a piece of garbage that I loved.
I write programs for it the best I can but as far as original hardware they are like the FBody Trans AM  GARBAGE and not a classic no matter how you slice it.

The only reason why the drives are so high on ebay is because people can sell them for that price buying into the illusion that just because they are from the 80's they are worth it.  Maybe last year but not now when there are alternatives.

I wanted one just to transfer my old files but you have some unreasonable dude that wants to over price them so I put an old disk drive in my PC and backed up all my disks that way.  Now they are all on an SD card along with every other piece of Coleco software I can get my mitts on and it did not cost me $300.

If I were a collector then I would buy and set it on a shelf.
After my mothers funeral where all her stuff went to good will or the garbage...All I see is my collection going back on ebay for some estate sale, trash or the recycle center.

So at the end I decided to use my money for vacations and my family.

Get what you can for them and move on.

I think a lot of Trans Am owners would take offense to your statement ;)

ADAMs were far from garbage. And the classic label is all determined by the users. There's obviously a strong base if this machine is still sought after and being developed for. So what exactly defines a classic if not age and following?

1 hour ago, G8rDuc said:

I think a lot of Trans Am owners would take offense to your statement ;)

ADAMs were far from garbage. And the classic label is all determined by the users. There's obviously a strong base if this machine is still sought after and being developed for. So what exactly defines a classic if not age and following?

I bought my 1982 Trans-Am because of Knight Rider and when it wasn't broke down it fish tailed when turning corners thanks to being heavy in the front where the engine was and nothing in the back where the ONE drive wheel touched the pavement.

I'll still defend ADAM to this day but it was garbage in it's design and about the only cutting edge development would be the ADAMnet aspect of it.

If I tried hard enough I am sure that I could connect an Arduino up to it so it could control my entire house.

If Coleco didn't bail and continued development on the damn thing they would be running the show today and the competition would be the Amiga.

For 1984, the ADAM was definitely behind the times and I'm actually surprised people bought that system when it came out given the far better alternatives for a relatively similar price. Heck, it still had the same video chip as the TI 99/4A which came out in 1979! Fast forward to 2019, and all the quirkiness and poor design of that machine have become more of an attraction and challenge, particularly to users like myself who have never used an ADAM before (I've had my system for a whole of 6 months...), and I'm having loads of fun figuring out its quirks.

As to its value, anyone with a stash of old computer hardware who's primary aim is to eventually sell the collection for a large profit is probably going to be very disappointed. Now there are collectors who genuinely enjoy their collections, just like a stamp collector enjoys browsing his, and that's wonderful if it brings you enjoyment. Otherwise,  I say use what you have to its full extent or make it available to others who would because that is the whole purpose of this "hobby". Sadly, it will all eventually end up in the trash anyway as Mike pointed out.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, NIAD said:

Disk Drives are still pretty scarce but do regularly show up on eBay in auctions or as BINs. Final sales price can range from the ungodly low price of $19.95 (seller didn't know what they had) on up to $300 (fully tested and CIB). I would search eBay for "ADAM Computer" and "Coleco ADAM",  use the filter to display sold items and then scroll through the results to see what the Disk Drives have sold for to give yourself a better idea of their value. Additionally, coming from a trusted seller as yourself who will spend the time to clean and thoroughly test what you sell adds a lot of value in my mind.

BTW, yes, ADAMnet SD Drives such as MicroFox's VDD and Sean Myer's ADE made by John Lundy as the ADE Pro are all the rage now. The ADE Pro is well supported with firmware upgrades and an actual ADAM menu program written by MilliV that is similar to AtariMax's SD Cart menu program. Another menu program written by Jim Walters is progressing nicely and uses SmartKEY displays just like Coleco programs.

Rey (pictured) and MilliV have made runs of professionally looking ADAM Power Supplies, but these are no longer available and people have reverted to making their own power supplies thanks to all the info that is readily available. I would say a used PS such as the one you pictured could sell for $50, if not a little more.

20150221_123547.jpg

The ADAM News Network sales the Micro Fox Virtual ADAM Disk Drive that uses microSD cards (or full size SD cards with a third party adapter). Its the best ADAMNET product that I have seen so far. http://ann.hollowdreams.com/adamsupplies.html

Where does one purchase the ADE Pro, is that another ADAMNET SD drive product? I like the ideal of using a ATARIMAX style menu screen instead of a LCD display on the device itself. Where does one purchase this ADE Pro? Or is it in BETA form only?

Edited by HDTV1080P

You can make one yourself by downloading all the pertinent files from Sean Myers' GitHub page.

John Lundy has made a couple runs of the ADE Pro and sold them thru the Coleco Adam Facebook page. He has available for sale, right now, the ADE Lite... check it out as they will sell fast.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to offer free advice, build one yourself for around $30.

https://github.com/Kalidomra/AdamNet-Drive-Emulator?fbclid=IwAR1Z6pQwLwBW9v2OjTHpPTppQ2SPFwHoxVu2C8_0bRCX7rUcOYLgghk3sfI

or buy one from John Lundy

The MicroFox is out dated and "Just" does the job.
This is MY opinion based on me using it.
I have two and an email that I received states that it is not going to be updated.

As soon as my personal disk drive project is completed I am selling the two MicroFox boxes.

I say buy one from John because it is an improved model.
The one from Github works and may be improved in the future who knows.

HOWEVER, in this day and age with Arduino and PI with thousands of books out there you should have no issues designing your own.
You can even do some minimal studying and design one that doesn't use an Arduino.
Heck, you can create an ADAM just using a PI with built in everything then display it in true HD if you want.
You really want to go crazy then build an ADAM on an FPGA with extended memory.

Put it all in a Colecovision case or 3D print you out your own design.

You now live in a world where you can do everything at home if you have a few bucks.

BTW...Unless you are a collector you have zero need for a Digital Data Drive or a Disk Drive unless you are backing up your old stuff from 30+ years ago.
You can back up your disks on a PC, DDP you have no choice until someone builds an Arduino PC interface.

Everything can be transferred to an SD card and run from there.
The odds are that 99% of everything ADAM and Coleco have already been backed up and the only thing to recover these days would be your basic program or something from Video Tunes that you personally made.

Edited by Mike Harris

The VDD does exactly what it's supposed to do, which is act as a disk drive. I can't find any obvious bugs with the 2 units I own, which are set up as drive 1 and 2, so I don't think the lack of updates will be an issue. The main limitation of the VDD is the fact that it can only be set to either disk 1 or 2, but not both, forcing you to have 2 devices if you want dual disk drives. Not so with the newer DIY design, which is nice.

If you already have a couple of VDD's, there is really no reason to replace them, otherwise I agree go with the newer design.

And yes, in this day and age, a physical disk drive is totally unnecessary except for nostalgic reasons or backups of original software on disk.