IGNORED

Help Troubleshooting 600XL Black screen only

800_Rocks

Purchased a 600XL for a great price (a lot of stories start that way)...  I get only a dark green (or black) screen.  Tried two different power bricks (one I know works with an 800XL).
No change in behavior when I press Reset, or hold Option or Select or Help when I cycle the power.  No sounds at all (no beeps, no nothing).

I carefully opened, cleaned, removed and re-installed all socketed chips.  No change in the dark green (or black) screen.

What should I try next?  Try known working chips?  Which ones in which order?

Thanks

OK, so you're getting sync. Do you have a cart to try ?

You could try the OS ROM, MMU first, CPU. Then RAM.

You'll have to shotgun it if you don't have any troubleshooting tools.

You could try installing chips from your 600xl into your good 800xl, until you break it.

I think that's easier then doing the opposite as dead machines can hide many faults.

Edited by shoestring

Yes, absent other tools like a logic probe or oscilloscope, chip swapping INTO a good machine (never the reverse!) is the way to go. If you put good chips into the bad machine, you risk killing them with whatever killed the machine to begin with. 

Speaking of which, please make sure the 600XL isn’t using the Ingot power supply. I’m on my phone or I’d post pics, but a pic of your PSU would be good to make sure it’s one of the reliable ones.