IGNORED

Ingot Power Supply --> Garbage Can?

Hi, so I have an Ingot power supply that came with an 800XL that I acquired recently. I'm afraid to use it, given the bad rep that it has, garnered from its high fail rate and tendency that, when it goes, it often fries your whole computer. Is it suggested to simply throw it away or if I'm the gambling type, can I use it as a backup, etc.? Just curious as to everyone's experiences with this specific power supply. 

As a reminder, the Ingot is the one circled in red in the below picture of 8-bit Atari OEM power supply variants. Thanks for any and all insight!

Power Supplies.png

• Like 1

Keep the cord that goes from the power supply to the computer (with the
DIN connector on it). Splice it to a modern 5V supply rated for at least
1.5 amps. Make sure you get the polarity right, and you're good to go.

If you're really into the idea of doing it, you could hollow out the
ingot and put your modern (physically smaller) power supply inside,
so it still looks like Atari equipment. Looks like a lot of work, the
ingot's full of ancient dried-up epoxy. I haven't tried it myself.

I have a couple of ingots I've cut the cords from, can't think of a
use for them. Paperweights? Bludgeoning weapon, like a flail, swing it
around by the AC cord... don't have enough of them to use as bricks,
or I could build a wall out of them. Tire chocks, to keep a car from
rolling downhill if its parking brake is broken?

One thought: when the ingot PSU fails in overvoltage mode, it's not the
transformer that fails, right? Maybe salvage the transformer and check
its voltage, I'd be willing to bet it's the same transformer that's
in the 9VAC supplies Atari made for the 800, 810, 1050, etc. If so,
you could use it for that purpose. Again, a lot of work, have to get it
out of the epoxy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Urchlay said:

Keep the cord that goes from the power supply to the computer (with the
DIN connector on it). Splice it to a modern 5V supply rated for at least
1.5 amps. Make sure you get the polarity right, and you're good to go.

I forgot to mention why; but, yes, this is the point.

Already mentioned, but I also agree keep the DIN cord. Soldering that cord's 2 wires to a replacement common 5V DC power supply (ie a USB charger) of at least 1.5-2.0A is a lot easier than soldering wires to a new DIN connector...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Already mentioned, but I also agree keep the DIN cord. Soldering that cord's 2 wires to a replacement common 5V DC power supply (ie a USB charger) of at least 1.5-2.0A is a lot easier than soldering wires to a new DIN connector...

+1!!! I *hate* soldering DIN connections. 

BTW, I made the graphic in the first post a few years ago from a stock photo nicked off a 'myatari' eBay ad (that's B&C Computervisions, just FYI). Bruce has them numbered in his eBay listings but I always thought the photo needed a clear indicator of the Ingot and what to think of it! By contrast, the similar PSU below and to the left with the vent holes is typically just fine.  I've seen some confusion as to which was the "Ingot" so I wanted to make sure it was utterly clear!  Please spread the image far and wide! :) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

+1!!! I *hate* soldering DIN connections. 

BTW, I made the graphic in the first post a few years ago from a stock photo nicked off a 'myatari' eBay ad (that's B&C Computervisions, just FYI). Bruce has them numbered in his eBay listings but I always thought the photo needed a clear indicator of the Ingot and what to think of it! By contrast, the similar PSU below and to the left with the vent holes is typically just fine.  I've seen some confusion as to which was the "Ingot" so I wanted to make sure it was utterly clear!  Please spread the image far and wide! :) 

Haha you must have made a similar photo because I made this photo at work this afternoon (added the red circle), from the same photo you used, presumably! 

2 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Haha you must have made a similar photo because I made this photo at work this afternoon (added the red circle), from the same photo you used, presumably! 

Heh. Yep. Shame on me and good on you! My version went for the old fashioned traffic signal motif.

XL Power Supplies.jpg

• Like 1

The best one (in my opinion) is the model on the lower right.

The best *looking* one IMO is the upper-left. I have one and it looks
great sitting next to an XL machine. Of course if you've got it on the
floor under the desk, looks don't matter.

Kinda wish I could get hold of a few dead ones, to reuse their cases.

Edited by Urchlay
typo
  • Like 2

The upper left and lower left are identical except color. They’re my favorites although I only have a black one. They’re big and bulky but they’re NOT filled with epoxy and thus run nice and cool. I understand they’re serviceable too should that become necessary but none of my XL supplies have ever been bad except Ingots. I’ve gotten two over the years that have tested low on voltage when they arrived, a good sign they internal regulator failed sometime in the past (probably spiking high in the process and possibly damaging a machine). 

• Like 1

Yes the those are the best and while they continue working to this day, some over the years have slightly less output or filtering than they used to have. Measure under load and check with a scope. Easy to fix, nice clean, great ventilation, and they are both ready for a beauty contest. The bottoms even have filter mesh

Best Electronics, which is where that image came from AFAIK, was still selling *new* examples of the original big, black power supply (lower left) last I checked. I bought one myself. This was just a year or so ago.

Always amazes me the stuff they have. Even knowing they bought out an Atari warehouse or whatever, why did *Atari* still have those at that time? They weren't packaging them with new XL's...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Best Electronics, which is where that image came from AFAIK, was still selling *new* examples of the original big, black power supply (lower left) last I checked. I bought one myself. This was just a year or so ago.

Always amazes me the stuff they have. Even knowing they bought out an Atari warehouse or whatever, why did *Atari* still have those at that time? They weren't packaging them with new XL's...

How do you know that? I’m pretty sure Atari just outsourced the XL/XE PSUs and ordered lot-sized bundles of a few thousand at a time as needed and based on current pricing from each supplier. My one current large black XL power supply came inside a NOS 600XL that was made in late ‘94 or early ‘85 by the date codes of the IC’s inside. 

Iâve gotten two over the years that have tested low on voltage

when they arrived, a good sign they internal regulator failed sometime
in the past (probably spiking high in the process and possibly damaging
a machine).

A friend gave me a "dead" 800XL with an ingot (in like 1987). The ingot
was putting out something like 2 volts with reverse polarity. I don't
know all there is to know about power supplies, but that's a bizarre
failure mode, to me. The 800XL wasn't damaged by it thankfully. Tried
to give it back to him, but he didn't want it (had replaced it already).

Are there official (or unofficial even) schematics of the various power
supplies? The difference between the ingot and the others isn't just
that it's potted in epoxy, is it?

no it's not just epoxy, they are different. and in fact some were designed with more than one regulated choice, but the components are simply left out as the xl series didn't go through with using the other voltage. shouldn't be too hard to either find or recreate schematics, but that's for the industrious ones to tackle. I was hoping to restore the other side of the supply and and hack the jack on the XL's to restore both but decided it's a bad idea should anyone else use the power supplies and computer later in life,

should simply have picked new din type or keyed them in some way.

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, Urchlay said:

A friend gave me a "dead" 800XL with an ingot (in like 1987). The ingot
was putting out something like 2 volts with reverse polarity. I don't
know all there is to know about power supplies, but that's a bizarre
failure mode, to me. The 800XL wasn't damaged by it thankfully. Tried
to give it back to him, but he didn't want it (had replaced it already).

Are there official (or unofficial even) schematics of the various power
supplies? The difference between the ingot and the others isn't just
that it's potted in epoxy, is it?

oh almost forgot...  info and schematics

Atari XL XE Power Supplies repair and schematic.pdf

someone cleaned it up a little

Atari XL & XE Power Supply repair schematics.pdf

lastly the bottom right supply often gets mixed up between the ST and xl/xe.... make sure you don't plug in on for the other... bzzzzt!

Edited by _The Doctor__

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

How do you know that? I’m pretty sure Atari just outsourced the XL/XE PSUs and ordered lot-sized bundles of a few thousand at a time as needed and based on current pricing from each supplier. My one current large black XL power supply came inside a NOS 600XL that was made in late ‘94 or early ‘85 by the date codes of the IC’s inside. 

Atari also used the same black case for the power supply for the 520ST, which is likely the reason the Black Beauties have the 600XL/800XL specific label. It is impossible to plug the XL into the 520ST power supply though since Atari was smart enough to reverse the sex of the plugs between the 2.

• Like 1