IGNORED

Ingot Power Supply --> Garbage Can?

On 6/28/2020 at 2:06 PM, BillC said:

Maybe just using a saw to cut the bottom off along the seam, then a drill/chisel to break up the epoxy inside. It might even be possible to reuse the transformer and heatsink if this was done carefully. It would be even better if the PCB could be salvaged as well, the rest of the components are readily available.

I don't think that would work, see the pictures above.  The power supply was filled from the "bottom" upwards (turned over and filled from the bottom, then the bottom was epoxied on), which means it would suck to try and get the epoxy out as one piece so that the shell is still usable and not deformed.

I've seen other mentions of using acid to dissolve the epoxy, it kind of sounds appealing in a curiosity way (what's inside that epoxy, eh?), but I definitely don't want to go there, I lack the experience to properly handle and dispose of any kind of acid beyond household chemicals.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:36 PM, StickJock said:

I like that your "safety bag" has a target on it.  Seems appropriate, somehow.... ?

Makes it a little bit harder to see what to hit, actually, the bright red stripes are distracting.

Here's the bag after I had had my way with it.

img_2467.ingot_safety_bag.thumb.jpg.e9333ff1793572ae7fe3b12fe480cbde.jpg

• 1 year later...

"Beauty Queen" and "Black Beauty" (upper left, lower left) are generally considered the best 600/800XL (and also for XE) supplies Atari ever used.  Ben Poehland did an article on repair/upgrade of one or both in the original Atari Classics mag.  I've used a Black Beauty for many years.  The only downside is that all the original (non-switching) PS suck a small amount of electricity all the time, even when not in use.  Mine shows about 3.5 watts used when idle and apx. 18.5 watts when powering an 800 XL. So a power strip is useful.

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, cwilbar said:

yes, the 1050 uses a 9V AC supply.  Only thing that goes wrong is sometimes the internal fuse can blow.  When that happens, it's 'fun' to get the supply open to fix it, but beyond the fuse there is nothing to go wrong with these, there is only a fuse and a transformer ? .

If it's a seal unit, be careful cutting it open.  I sliced my thumb once doing it.  Also, go slow, you don't want to cut into the transformer's windings.  But, yeah, the fuse can be replaced.

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

If it's a seal unit, be careful cutting it open.  I sliced my thumb once doing it.  Also, go slow, you don't want to cut into the transformer's windings.  But, yeah, the fuse can be replaced.

I haven't had to fix an Atari 9V supply in years (the only one I had to fix was years ago back in the day.... still have that one with a rubber band holding it together ? ).

Other sealed units I've opened up more recently, I usually use a rubber mallet, piece of wood and a hammer, etc to attempt to break the glue bond vs having to cut or pry which makes a mess of things.  Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does and you can get a pretty clean result.  Not much to go bad banging these around too, as just a transformer and a fuse are inside ? .

I think if I couldn't crack a bonded joint I'd probably move to the dremel to at least try to get a clean cut.

I have (sadly) a number of Ingots..... need to try to crack one open to put a more modern 5V supply inside vs these ending up in other people's hands and just waiting for the day of sizzling chips.

• Like 1