IGNORED

Cannonhead Clash (previously Bomb Game) (Atari 2600)

bluswimmer

Hi all,

I'm back, and I bring with me my new homebrew, tentatively titled "Bomb Game." It is a two player competitive game where there's two things chucking bombs at each other. Controls are pretty simple, left and right to move, fire button to shoot. Holding down the button longer makes your bomb shoot further! Oh, and the terrain is destructible. Fun!

The game is still very much a work in progress. On my todo list, I have...

• Title screen
  • More maps
  • CPU opponent
  • Being able to play a best of 3/5

You can see early gameplay footage here. Enjoy!

bombgame.bin

cannonheadclash.bin

cannonheadclashV2.bin

cannonheadclashV3.bin

cannonheadclashV4.bin

cannonheadclashV4.1.zip

cannonheadclashV4.2.zip

Edited by bluswimmer
  • Like 11

This plays well and is fun !

Couple of thoughts fro what it's worth:

1. I'm sure you are aware, but there is just a blank green screen upon startup ( sorry master of obvious)

2.  You could add 2 , two-digit scores at top of screen

3.   You could add jumping, say just by pushing up on Joystick.    Could add jumping  right and left by pushing diagonally on joystick.    Would not involve button, and would allow you to survive longer by jumping to other parts of your base. Or even jumping up to avoid a hit and coming down on now smaller base.

4.  The ability  to shoot laterally straight at your opponent, perhaps by pulling down on stick while pressing button, might be cool.

I am afraid it might be too easy to dodge your opponents missiles in current form. With horizontal shots you also would have to keep an eye out for  a missile coming straight at you , and dodge it by jumping.  Kind of like a Yar's Revenge Missile

Another twist would be that to be able to shoot horizontally, the button has to be pressed for some extended period, so while this gives you the horizontal shot  , you are vulnerable while "powering up ".

4.  If you are into power-ups, then an idea could be to have powerup drop from above , and if you contact it you obtain a special bomb which is more powerful or something .

5.  Finally , I did not check it , but would be cool if the player missiles colliding in air will cancel each other .

• Like 3

12 hours ago, easmith said:

This plays well and is fun !

Couple of thoughts fro what it's worth:

--snipped for space reasons---

Thanks for the feedback!

Firstly, yeah, I'm aware of the empty green screen. This was intended as a temporary "solution" before I give the game a title screen. I've also gotten a few requests for powerups, so I'll definitely consider adding some as a toggleable option.

4 hours ago, mr-atari said:

Some spinoff of defend your castle?

www.mr-atari.com/defyocas/ 

??

I've never actually seen this homebrew before! I was mostly inspired by a Minecraft minigame where there's two teams on two islands chucking TNT at each other.

Still, funny how these sorts of coincidences can develop. I have a tendency to run into this sort of thing a lot, apparently...

No sweat, these games are fun.

Mine isn't original either, it comes from a game in my childhood. Stone sling on videopac.

I pimped it a bit, with left/right and angle. Collision in the air is present (also fun) and I coded it into Atari specifications. 4k fun, simple and colorful.

Later!

Sijmen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

The new update is ready! This one's a big one, so strap in....

• A title screen!
  • A new title, "Cannonhead Clash!"
  • More maps to play on!
  • Play to a certain amount of wins!
  • CPU opponent!
  • Fixed a bug involving the death animation that very few people care about!

If you'd like to see the update in action, check it out here. Download is below. Enjoy!

cannonheadclash.bin

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Cannonhead Clash LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- I Ran (2019 WIP Exclusive World Premiere) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc
- Cannonhead Clash (2019 WIP Update) by bluswimmer
- Crackpots (1983 Patch Challenge) by Dan Kitchen

EDIT: Updated with Archive Video

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

Hi all,

A new update is out! This one adds a couple of new things.

• Added six new maps, bringing the total up to 10
  • Added a new random map function. This selects a random map every time the level reloads.
  • Pressing reset now takes you back to the title screen
  • Fixed a quirk in the CPU opponent where it would not walk off the starting platform on Level 3

If you'd like to the see random map function in action, check out this video. Download is below. Enjoy!

cannonheadclashV2.bin

• Like 3