IGNORED

Cannonhead Clash (previously Bomb Game) (Atari 2600)

bluswimmer

25 minutes ago, bluswimmer said:
  • Added six new maps, bringing the total up to 10
  • Added a new random map function. This selects a random map every time the level reloads.
  • Pressing reset now takes you back to the title screen
  • Fixed a quirk in the CPU opponent where it would not walk off the starting platform on Level 3

Great updates @bluswimmer, love the new maps especially the multi-level map.

• Like 1

Today I started work on procedurally generated levels, a feature that I think will make the game more interesting for experienced players. Currently, the algorithm is very naive, since it just chooses a random height from 1 to 8 for each column of blocks. It also causes screen rollover, though I think it's possible for that to be avoided by using a more efficient algorithm. Still, there's random levels in the dev build now, and they're playable somewhat...

randomlevel.thumb.PNG.2b3b0a5157db0795cf5a2cf91cc7bd7e.PNG

This will not be a replacement for the levels already developed, it will merely be an extra option for players to choose if they wish.

• Like 4

Today I finished the procedurally generated level feature. The terrain looks a lot more natural now, and to my knowledge there's no screen rollover. This was quite challenging to accomplish. I had to reorganize large parts of the cartridge in order to get everything to work properly. The level is labeled as "!" if you wish to play with random terrain.

Enjoy!

cannonheadclashV3.bin

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, bluswimmer said:

Today I finished the procedurally generated level feature.

Nice addition! It looks like each successive piece of terrain is either the same, one higher or one lower than the piece before it. I'm guessing that's to prevent pits that the player can get trapped in?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Nice addition! It looks like each successive piece of terrain is either the same, one higher or one lower than the piece before it. I'm guessing that's to prevent pits that the player can get trapped in?

The terrain is generated using midpoint displacement. Right now the randomness is low enough that you probably won't run into many walls. Two high walls are able to be generated, though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bluswimmer said:

The terrain is generated using midpoint displacement. Right now the randomness is low enough that you probably won't run into many walls. Two high walls are able to be generated, though.

Ah, a much more complicated level generation method than I thought you were employing! I ran the game through about 40+ randomly generated levels and didn't see anything higher than a variance of 1 so I'm guessing it's pretty rare to run into a wall, which is good. Nobody likes being trapped in a pit, even you're evenly matched on both sides and you're both in a pit. ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bluswimmer said:

Today I finished the procedurally generated level feature. The terrain looks a lot more natural now, and to my knowledge there's no screen rollover. This was quite challenging to accomplish. I had to reorganize large parts of the cartridge in order to get everything to work properly. The level is labeled as "!" if you wish to play with random terrain.

Enjoy!

cannonheadclashV3.bin 4 kB · 9 downloads

That reminds me my L.E.M. random terrain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! This one is probably going to be the last major update, since I'm completely out of RAM and don't have much ROM to spare. Anyways, this one just adds some music to the start of the match, and some music for winning. Oh, and fireworks, I guess.

You can check out the latest update in this video or download it below. Enjoy!

Oh, and before anyone asks, PAL60 and SECAM60 versions will be coming soon...

cannonheadclashV4.bin

Edited by bluswimmer
  • Like 4

Hi all,

I've discovered a fairly major softlock in the game that activates if you press reset during the victory animation. This has been fixed and posted below. Additionally, I've tweaked the music timing and created PAL60 and SECAM60 versions of the game. All three ROMs are in the zip file below.

cannonheadclashV4.1.zip

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

There needs to be one area for homebrews to be posted because gems like this get overlooked or unnoticed. At the moment there is about three to four places people post their homebrews for 2600 games alone. Im sure 25% only notice when someone posts to the 2600 main subtopic while another 25% in 2600 programing then another in bB while others post here in homebrews.

Half the battle is wondering where to post a homebrew that gets the most traffic yet not break the forum rules. Some are posting the same thread in multiple locations trying to get the traffic yet i don't know if that's bending the sites rules. Im hoping @Albert has something up his sleeve to resolve this.

• Like 1

A page with links to all the homebrew threads would be helpful. The problem is, who will maintain that? Maybe a Wiki would be the best option here.

Also, a lot of projects stall or die in the process, so there would have to be some aging to the WIP entries. And if e.g. one year without progress has passed, the project should be categorized as e.g. "on-hold".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Philsan Yeah i noticed that and think i had replied to the thread also. Personally i think there should be a sub subforum on each of the system subforums ie. 2600 - programming - highscore club - homebrew ect. Trends show, there is alot of members that mainly browse one subforum and hardly venture out.

@Thomas Jentzsch I agree with the older WIP's, other sites i have seen them sub catagory as WIP and Old WIP after a year or so of inactivity. You're right that someone would need to maintain the Homebrew section/s. Probably wouldn't be the easiest task either but as homebrews are a fairly important part of AA i think it needs a much worthy revamp.

As i see it at the moment there is no real home, and the one that exists here in homebrews subforum is half way down the main page. Many are just posting their projects in the help area of bB or 2600 programming sub forums ect. It's obvious they know that's where the traffic is and a higher chance of getting noticed. Problem is it's a mess and good older projects get lost in the chaos of help threads and general questions. Which is fine as that's what the programming discussion sub forum is for, but the homebrews are being posted in the incorrect place.

I fully understand why they need the traffic, so it's almost like there is no real home for these projects to get recognition.

PS. Sorry to hijack your thread @bluswimmer

17 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

There needs to be one area for homebrews to be posted because gems like this get overlooked or unnoticed. At the moment there is about three to four places people post their homebrews for 2600 games alone. Im sure 25% only notice when someone posts to the 2600 main subtopic while another 25% in 2600 programing then another in bB while others post here in homebrews.

Half the battle is wondering where to post a homebrew that gets the most traffic yet not break the forum rules. Some are posting the same thread in multiple locations trying to get the traffic yet i don't know if that's bending the sites rules. Im hoping @Albert has something up his sleeve to resolve this.

14 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

A page with links to all the homebrew threads would be helpful. The problem is, who will maintain that? Maybe a Wiki would be the best option here.

Also, a lot of projects stall or die in the process, so there would have to be some aging to the WIP entries. And if e.g. one year without progress has passed, the project should be categorized as e.g. "on-hold".

This is why I started my "List" back in 2013!  https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArXu52QZivTrgVbQayev1Wc1QprN

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

This is why I started my "List" back in 2013!  https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArXu52QZivTrgVbQayev1Wc1QprN

That list is wonderful, but it relies on the effort of a single person. IMO it a collaborative approach with a dedicated website where everyone (or multiple, selected people) can edit and also upload extra material (ROMs, screenshots and videos, instructions etc.) would be even better and also future proof.

• Like 3

Hi all,

Today brings another bugfix. I've had this one lined up since before PRGE, but since I wanted the version playable at the expo to be the same as the one online, I've held it back until now. Anyways, this update fixes a bug where, if the player is charging for a shot while the victory animation is playing, the charge sound is heard during the fireworks.

All three versions (NTSC, PAL60, SECAM60) are in the zip file below.

cannonheadclashV4.2.zip

• Like 7

On 10/15/2019 at 5:12 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I would be willing to take on this task but I doubt Al would trust a random user to have moderator abuilitys. Not sure how to earn the trust but it is worth a try.

• Like 1