IGNORED

Cannonhead Clash (previously Bomb Game) (Atari 2600)

bluswimmer

So while I was doing research on another Atari 2600 Homebrew game, I ran across this Video Game Homebrew Wiki page:

https://videogamehomebrew.fandom.com/wiki/Atari_2600_Homebrew

Most of this list contains titles that saw a physical cartridge release, where on my list I have everything from physical releases, online downloads, demos, etc.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:12 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

A page with links to all the homebrew threads would be helpful. The problem is, who will maintain that? Maybe a Wiki would be the best option here.

Also, a lot of projects stall or die in the process, so there would have to be some aging to the WIP entries. And if e.g. one year without progress has passed, the project should be categorized as e.g. "on-hold".

On 10/15/2019 at 7:21 AM, Philsan said:

If I am not wrong, @Albert is working on it:

On 10/15/2019 at 8:25 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

@Philsan Yeah i noticed that and think i had replied to the thread also. Personally i think there should be a sub subforum on each of the system subforums ie. 2600 - programming - highscore club - homebrew ect. Trends show, there is alot of members that mainly browse one subforum and hardly venture out.

@Thomas Jentzsch I agree with the older WIP's, other sites i have seen them sub catagory as WIP and Old WIP after a year or so of inactivity. You're right that someone would need to maintain the Homebrew section/s. Probably wouldn't be the easiest task either but as homebrews are a fairly important part of AA i think it needs a much worthy revamp.

As i see it at the moment there is no real home, and the one that exists here in homebrews subforum is half way down the main page. Many are just posting their projects in the help area of bB or 2600 programming sub forums ect. It's obvious they know that's where the traffic is and a higher chance of getting noticed. Problem is it's a mess and good older projects get lost in the chaos of help threads and general questions. Which is fine as that's what the programming discussion sub forum is for, but the homebrews are being posted in the incorrect place.

I fully understand why they need the traffic, so it's almost like there is no real home for these projects to get recognition.

PS. Sorry to hijack your thread @bluswimmer

On 10/16/2019 at 4:19 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That list is wonderful, but it relies on the effort of a single person. IMO it a collaborative approach with a dedicated website where everyone (or multiple, selected people) can edit and also upload extra material (ROMs, screenshots and videos, instructions etc.) would be even better and also future proof.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:04 PM, overgrouth said:

I would be willing to take on this task but I doubt Al would trust a random user to have moderator abuilitys. Not sure how to earn the trust but it is worth a try.

• Like 1

Here is what I can offer. I can dedicate a website to video promotions of existing homebrew games and hacks. I can set it up so the home page will display a layout much like youtube except there will be homebrew and hack videos only with descriptions and links to atariage with the rom or the AA store. That is with out moderation power on atariage. With moderating abulitys I could more then likely intergrate these things seamlessly along side what ever Al comes up with. One thing I notice about the AA store is most games do not have video to show them off. Games that do have video show gameplay which is greate and provides the AA logo and atariage.com but does not give the video game any kind knoledge upon how it plays. Perhaps we can form a team to provide this service. For example info on the controller the game uses or the quarks added to a game that needs specific attention such as how we all know raiders requires 2 controller or say like Ghost busters runs a menu setup threw the console switches or a hack called combat redux that has an amazing feature that allows for the joystick controller to select levels freeing the user from having to get out of their seat in order to hit the game select switch on the console. To give the games a non bias preview with only facts and not opinions. Everyone like different games and opinions coult hurt a good game so this is why only factual info should be provided. No praise and no defimation just info. Also it would be greate to seperate gameplay or level hacks from graphical hacks. Have catigorys so people who are looking for specific things can search with confidants with out sifting threw things they have no interest in.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, overgrouth said:

Here is what I can offer. I can dedicate a website to video promotions of existing homebrew games and hacks. I can set it up so the home page will display a layout much like youtube except there will be homebrew and hack videos only with descriptions and links to atariage with the rom or the AA store. That is with out moderation power on atariage. With moderating abulitys I could more then likely intergrate these things seamlessly along side what ever Al comes up with. One thing I notice about the AA store is most games do not have video to show them off. Games that do have video show gameplay which is greate and provides the AA logo and atariage.com but does not give the video game any kind knoledge upon how it plays. Perhaps we can form a team to provide this service. For example info on the controller the game uses or the quarks added to a game that needs specific attention such as how we all know raiders requires 2 controller or say like Ghost busters runs a menu setup threw the console switches or a hack called combat redux that has an amazing feature that allows for the joystick controller to select levels freeing the user from having to get out of their seat in order to hit the game select switch on the console. To give the games a non bias preview with only facts and not opinions. Everyone like different games and opinions coult hurt a good game so this is why only factual info should be provided. No praise and no defimation just info. Also it would be greate to seperate gameplay or level hacks from graphical hacks. Have catigorys so people who are looking for specific things can search with confidants with out sifting threw things they have no interest in.

Albert has this page for videos already: https://www.youtube.com/user/AtariAges/videos

• 2 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Cannonhead Clash for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

788120518_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestWIPHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.127e3b9bc5e591b7d4fd517284dc53d5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

I've not played this, yet, but the few videos of game play look fun.

Is the joystick really needed for this game?  

It looks like a DC or paddle would be better suited, and we don't have very many homebrews that utilize the paddles or driving controller

There are a few that use paddle controllers (Drive!, Medieval Mayhem, Marble Craze, Ultra SCSIcide), but not many that use the Driving Controller (Grandma's Revenge in Stella's Stocking and Indy 500XE, which is a hack of Indy 500).  I don't think there are a ton of driving controllers out there at this point (only one game "back in the day" took advantage of them, Indy 500), so I'd encourage people to support paddles over the driving controllers.  I personally love the paddle/driving controllers, so I would like to see more games use them.

..Al

• Like 3

I played this today with a friend for about one hour. It's really good game-concept and makes alot of fun. Very funny often was, when i bombed nearly half of my friends land away and he didn't knew where to stand at the end *lol*. Good work Bluswimmer.

One thing i wanted to ask. When i played against a CPU opponent, it sometimes seemed, that i just won, because my bullet and the CPU's bullet collided in the air. Should this be like this, or has my impression misleading me and the CPU made another mistake in these moments, like for example jumping from the land into the water? But it was very often contemporaneous that he lost a life and our bullets collided.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 7:07 PM, AW127 said:

I played this today with a friend for about one hour. It's really good game-concept and makes alot of fun. Very funny often was, when i bombed nearly half of my friends land away and he didn't knew where to stand at the end *lol*. Good work Bluswimmer.

One thing i wanted to ask. When i played against a CPU opponent, it sometimes seemed, that i just won, because my bullet and the CPU's bullet collided in the air. Should this be like this, or has my impression misleading me and the CPU made another mistake in these moments, like for example jumping from the land into the water? But it was very often contemporaneous that he lost a life and our bullets collided.

I don't believe the CPU dies because the bullets collide- by making the two bullets overlap in Stella, there wasn't much of an effect on the CPU. They're likely just walking into the water. If anyone is able to recreate this bug, then please post evidence here.

12 hours ago, bluswimmer said:

I don't believe the CPU dies because the bullets collide- by making the two bullets overlap in Stella, there wasn't much of an effect on the CPU. They're likely just walking into the water. If anyone is able to recreate this bug, then please post evidence here.

Yes, i had a closer look today, by letting a friend play and just watch. It's true, that the CPU-player don't die directly by itself, when the two bullets collide. But it's striking, that sometimes, very shortly after they collide, the CPU-player walks into the water then. A somewhat strange coincidence.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my whole household to play this game, and even my teen boys really had fun with it! Well done on creating an engaging 2-player game. I'm definitely including this in my next AA order.

If you ever do a CC2, I would love to see shot strength bars near the score, and it might be cool if there were optionally some board that incorporated gravity so that unsupported blocks would fall down if the supporting blocks were destroyed.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Cannonhead Clash for the 2021 Harmony Games on tomorrow's (Tue May 11, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...