IGNORED

Double Dragon for the Atari 7800 - good or bad? Opinions?

Giles N

• 4 weeks later...

At least it truly lived up to the name Double Dragon. As opposed to the NES version which should be referred to as Single Dragon.

The SMS version - especially with a Japanese SMS or a modded American/European model - is very good amongst the 8-bit platforms. I did like the 7800 a lot, except for the audio. The ST and Lynx versions were also good.

6 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I'd rather play Double Dragon on the NES, or the flicker fest DD on SMS.

Hell I'd rather play Bad Dudes on the NES than this. Maybe even Urban Champion. I HATE the 7800 version of Double Dragon.

I have DD for SMS, and IOS and PC arcade-port ( = arcade).

I still was curious as to how the 7800

version was.

I think it’s not at all as good as SMS, but still I think its sort of entertaining, and graphically much, much closer in looks to the Arcade than the NES version.

Of course... it could have been a lot better, but its sort of entertaining.

With weapons (which for no good reason is dropped after one battle), it certainly feels the general direction of the Arcade.

With a Atari2600/7800 RetroN77 joypad, I’ve even got button-mashing-punching to sort of work.

I don’t know where I would put it on a 1-58 list of 7800 games.

But I find it fun enough to have some goes when its in the machine.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, Lynxpro said:

At least it truly lived up to the name Double Dragon. As opposed to the NES version which should be referred to as Single Dragon.

The SMS version - especially with a Japanese SMS or a modded American/European model - is very good amongst the 8-bit platforms. I did like the 7800 a lot, except for the audio. The ST and Lynx versions were also good.

Can one get a sound-chip-modded SMS that plays European/PAL SMS-cartridges with improved sound?

30 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I have DD for SMS, and IOS and PC arcade-port ( = arcade).

I still was curious as to how the 7800

version was.

I think it’s not at all as good as SMS, but still I think its sort of entertaining, and graphically much, much closer in looks to the Arcade than the NES version.

I'm 'this guy'....I don't care that the NES one is pretty far from the Arcade. It was an all time favorite of mine as a kid.

I way prefer the NES version over SMS too....so maybe I'm a weirdo. To me the NES game looks great and controls great. That major failing of no 2p is a big deal tho, I agree.

1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

I'm 'this guy'....I don't care that the NES one is pretty far from the Arcade. It was an all time favorite of mine as a kid.

I way prefer the NES version over SMS too....so maybe I'm a weirdo. To me the NES game looks great and controls great. That major failing of no 2p is a big deal tho, I agree.

I didn’t have neither NES nor Atari7800 as kid.

I’m checking out these games now, just to see what ‘I missed’.

Had a C64 (really a C128, but used almost only the C64 mod, since all games were made for that).

Remember to have rented a SMS at a video-shop, with Out Run and Afterburner.

(Then it all went 16 and 32 bit)

So I got some retro-consoles as of lately just out of curiousity.

Actually I think some these old games are very fun to play.

Many times I actually prefer pick-up-n-play games to these often heavily involving modern games.

And of course - there’s some nostalgia to the 8-bit grfx and sound.

Since I remember Pole Position 1 and 2, Pengo, Robotron 2084 and Star Wars Arcade as arcades I played as a kid, I wanted to find some home-consoles that had ports of these, which were sort of contemporary with the era when these were found at shopping-malls and liners etc.

And as to the thread, yeah got across DD arcade as kid too at occasions.

Edited by Giles N