tane

River Raid Bold

This is probably a big hack idea but I'll throw it out there:

How about flying over power-ups where your fighter can be invincible and/or power shots for a short time?

I dunno, I still don't get it… I always thought the sprites were great due to their simplicity and 2600 nature. The game works perfectly because of all the small-sized elements which sort of blend in the background. "Tweaking" some of those moving objects just seems completely futile but that's just me.

This being said, if you introduce a winter scene, maybe retouch the font, add a loading screen, you'll make the hack worth it in my opinion. 

• Like 4

This kind of thing is often as much about learning as it is about the final result.  I applaud your efforts.

• Like 5

Nice work. Hopefully the more people get into this and get up to speed with Atari graphics they can then help out people creating new games like myself who are "graphically challenged" - yes that is a thing :D

It's a bit late for abbuc this year with only 3 days left  but I've stated on a platformer if anyone wants to do the graphics for next year get in touch.

22 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

This is probably a big hack idea but I'll throw it out there:

How about flying over power-ups where your fighter can be invincible and/or power shots for a short time?

It's interesting and it would be required to add if-else conditions, but the original code is not available. This is a hack of a compiled code, so it won't be possible.

22 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

"Tweaking" some of those moving objects just seems completely futile but that's just me.

This being said, if you introduce a winter scene, maybe retouch the font, add a loading screen, you'll make the hack worth it in my opinion. 

I'm having fun tweaking the objects and that's enough and worth. Regarding the 'Cold Winter' Edition, a did a small research how to, but I couldn't find an easy way to pick up each color, and to expend too much time researching is beyond the scope of this project. It's possible to be done and I'd like to, as well the splash screen, but it will take me weeks on that without any tip. There are some versions with color changes anyway:

1200828228_RiverRaid2011.png.7b6c298f27b73e25b3654f8d70242f20.png

21 hours ago, Preppie said:

I applaud your efforts.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Nice work.

Thanks.

Still testing missile options:

Missiles.png.40fee9cabb279b466914fa57e18f3022.png

River Raid Bold

Proof of concept:

As the enemy planes have good sprites, but they are too small, it arises to create a second version called River Raid Tiny, keeping planes sprites and modifying proportions:

River Raid Tiny

1716019478_RiverRaidTiny.png.c3c97aae8dff1a5681a82942e6054d0a.png

Edited by tane
  • Like 2

ChexBold.jpg.cd8e1880423df46f6461514f1f44e28d.jpg

This thread had me wondering what I would find.  Now that I'm here, I wonder what comes after "Bold."  If we are using the snacking scale of increasing order then it might be this:

doritosjacked.jpg.21f3e1e77dc6dd1392b7567aa8bd445b.jpg

I now demand River Raid "Jacked!" 

How about different courses, assuming map data is stored in some higher order encoding so it would be possible to change the map?

How about different courses, assuming map data is stored in some higher order encoding

I'm pretty sure the maps are algorithmically generated. At least, I've
read that the 2600 version does this. The 2600 version is only a 4KB ROM,
there probably wouldn't be enough space to store all those maps.

It probably uses an LFSR initialized to a known value as a repeatable
"random" number generator. Changing the initial value would change all
the maps. Changing the algorithm would also work, but you'd have to
really know what you're doing.

If it works the way I think it does, causing the LFSR to run one extra
iteration every time the users presses the Fire button (and throwing
away the result) would be interesting: the first level would always be
the same, but after that the terrain would be different for every game,
unless the player knows the trick and counts how many times he presses
the button.

The game is what it is - a challenging vscroll dodgem with shooting.

I wouldn't change the terrain (which I believe is generated as described with a known seed.  Part of the repeat value is learning the map and doing it better/quicker the next time.

What I'd change, maybe, is to have the game allow you to collide with enemy ships and deduct fuel rather than lose a life.  Though it'd probably make it too easy (then just reduce the fuel topup rate if it is)

Hm, so starting bridge # might be the seed to the LFSR? I never got very far into the game, so I don't know if the terrain gets more difficult later on, or just varies along the way.

On 7/29/2019 at 4:56 PM, wongojack said:

shiticon-300x300.png.3a5f794291f805ec692677bd9ed0c072.png

I see some of you don't like the name..., but I'll tell you, I can put whatever name I want to.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Another project under the project:

River Raid Blue Max

Hey, I never said I didn't like it.  I just wasn't sure what to expect from the thread title but . . . It's bold - you named it well.  It just might make some people think of soft drinks or Chex Mix.  Who cares really?

My 2 cents... everybody should do what he wants with software but my opinion is like repainting classic art...

all those 80s games are iconic like they are.... altering them is for me personally a no go.

want to change MULE sprites? No.... summer games sprites? Nooo....

activision old sprites? No...

but thats me... I am not a fan of redo the Bruce Lee sprites either.

and please make sure that your version of the game is named correctly otherwise we loose the “original” over the years.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

My 2 cents... everybody should do what he wants with software but my opinion is like repainting classic art...

all those 80s games are iconic like they are.... altering them is for me personally a no go.

want to change MULE sprites? No.... summer games sprites? Nooo....

activision old sprites? No...

but thats me... I am not a fan of redo the Bruce Lee sprites either.

and please make sure that your version of the game is named correctly otherwise we loose the “original” over the years.

I disagree obviously,

and your example is not valid.. if you repaint a painting, you loose the original for ever.

In our case the original is still there.. nobody will take it away from you !

So what's the big deal ?

I must report that my computer was hacked a couple of days ago, and the people who work in these fun projects should be aware of some sick guys who want to stop such interesting projects through terrorism.

As always, it's good idea for anyone to have backups and several devices, not all of them connected.

The symptoms are: the keyboard doesn't work as it should, making it impossible to play correctly, for example with Altirra, there is a random behavior. In particular there is a case when pressing down + right + fire, it doesn't work, it only reads the first 2 keys (down + right), but not 3 pressed at the same time. It doesn't happen with down + left, and it doesn't happen when each key is pressed one by one, so there is nothing wrong physically. So I guess it's the fingerprint left, and it's quite elaborate. It only happens to this computer. It doesn't matter if it's booted as usual, or with an external drive/OS like Hiren's boot CD.

I'm not targeting anyone, as it was an anonymous terrorist attack, so it's impossible to know the author. However, I clearly state that such behavior won't stop this project.

In the last line this old computer should cost less than $500, and one or two days of delay, ...just for modifying an old game?

(the next paragraph could be disturbing for some good people, please do no read).

Fortunately, for you the author, I'm the guy who think that the other side of the face must be placed, for your pleasure, and not you to be punished with another terrorist act against your people, of the same estimated background, randomly selected on a random day, even if it takes time to be spotted, far away from any CCTV.

...Was it worth for just an old game tweaking?

Edited by tane
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TIX said:

I disagree obviously,

and your example is not valid.. if you repaint a painting, you loose the original for ever.

In our case the original is still there.. nobody will take it away from you !

So what's the big deal ?

Sure... ;) no big deal as I stated... everybody can do what he wants... free world... even I used a mesh up of legendary Thalion intro logo screen but :D but somehow classic game altering or modding is something well... I am not into it... like Centipede with new gfx or Asteroids... 

13 hours ago, wongojack said:

Hey, I never said I didn't like it.  I just wasn't sure what to expect from the thread title but . . . It's bold - you named it well.  It just might make some people think of soft drinks or Chex Mix.  Who cares really?

I can do the best I can, but I it's out of the scope to make a new game, it really takes time to draw the sprites. It's done row by row searching the right pixel, without the help of any drawing software.

Edited by tane

I'm stuck in my other project 🙄

I need a distraction, so I may take a crack at it..

Tane,

Good job on the Blue Max variant especially! This is getting  interesting to me.  So you can't find how to change the always green ground color yet? I wonder if someone could help you locate that?  Because a "cold winter" version, or an "Antarctic Adventure" or "Frostbite" variant would be super cool, with penguins,  bears instead of tanks, snowmen, or clams and fish etc etc. 

Since you have mastered changing the sprite and background images, why not try a Yars Revenge variant, or a Space Invaders one? :)  These would really benefit from BG color changes, not always greens. If possible. 

• Like 1

1890329157_RiverRaidOriginal.thumb.png.cc51284f2c3d5994250053dfa99d9ea2.png

There are many challenging ideas for further changes and new variants, but my tweaking skills are limited:

• Find the location of both green, and dark brown.

1607271758_RiverRaidhex.thumb.png.9b5761004bdd69c848ba0f6091dc1bb8.png

• River bank width.
  • Speed of: helicopters, ships.
  • To replace the sounds of the plane, with the ones of the Blue Max. When (1) shooting, and the (2) background engine sound, which automatically increases volume according to the plane speed.
  • Intermittent shots shape, like Blue Max.
  • Add the Blue Max music at the beginning, until the Start key is pressed, or when entering to the screensaver mode when pressing Select.

Blue Max Music.mp3

River Raid (1983)(Activision)(US).xex Blue Max (1983)(Synapse Software)(US)[a6].xex

• Like 1