tane

River Raid Bold

Some updates...

Regarding the last post with the River Raid Blue Max, I think it's mostly artistically finished, but the "sound replacement" challenge remains... Unless someone came with the "how to", there will be no big further changes, just testing and to solve small bugs / improvements. If so please send me a PM.

• To replace the sounds of the plane, with the ones of the Blue Max. When (1) shooting, and the (2) background engine sound, which automatically increases the volume according to the speed.
  • Add the Blue Max music at the beginning, until the Start key is pressed, or when entering to the screensaver mode when pressing Select. Being that the Pokey is used to generate the random geography, maybe it will not be possible.
  • I'm going to tag some users I've seen a related job (not exclusively), if you're not interested I'm sorry. @shanti77, @nobody, @playsoft.

River Raid.xex

Blue Max.xex

Also:

Introducing "Caverns of Mars 3". The last of the pack. It arises automatically with the project. Not yet finished, just the initial art in the title screen:

• Like 2

Hello folks,

Some time has passed without any update, so here are some videos with the current status of some of the games. World-class artists have made a touch to increase the beauty of this project. Unfortunately there has not been an answer for the modification of the sound, so it is likely to remain as it is now.

All versions have title screen:

River Raid Cold Winter:

River Raid on Mars:

Do you like the pixel art?

River Raid Medal of Honor:
The way that the random geography is made has been discovered and it's possible to increase or decrease the difficulty, keeping the overall same level every time. So this will be a version with very high difficulty, challenging enough even for a real Conan.

As a summary, the project is closed to 8 new versions:

1. River Raid Blue Max
  2. River Raid Bold
  3. River Raid Tiny
  4. River Raid Cold Winter
  5. River Raid on Mars
  6. River Raid Medal of Honor (high geographical difficulty)
  7. River Raid 2600 (port with the lowest geographical difficulty)
  8. Caverns of Mars 3

All versions will be released (for free), at some point in some months. There is still a lot to do, and I have been working time to time when possible, sometimes I feel like swimming in a middle of a lake with no end, but there has been progress. The NTSC versions are almost complete, and there will be also a PAL version (colors and shapes accordingly), with a digital version for emulation or digital output, and an analog version for real standard hardware. That's 4 versions for each game. The reason behind is that the contrast and colors are not the same in real hardware, and in some cases 1 pixel shapes are reduced to half size shapes in real hardware, so it's required to make a custom version for higher compatibility (a professional release).

Some have asked what about to build a cartridge, no experience about that, and I think that to build one for ~10 games and few people makes no sense. However thinking about that, and being that there would still be a lot of space available in a ROM, to build a cart with 30-40 games would make sense, but only if there is interest in a batch.

So, in order to build a cart, the features and benefits would be:

• 8 new River Raid like games, plus original classics, plus a collection of other games.
  • Get a beautiful collectible cartridge with a top selection of over 30 games, a mix of old and new games, with good underrated / unknown ones. The list hasn't been prepared yet, and if it's technically possible I would add a big collection with the biggest available ROM with more games.
  • Speed-up the project, there is still work to be done.
  • Support new developments (that can be repeated then in the future with other games).
  • Be the first to get the collection. (The files will be released some months thereafter).
  • A free cartridge for those (few) involved in the project.
  • Price: around $29 + shipping. (Not quoted yet, and don't even know if it's technically possible to be done).

124884993_Cartridgeexample.jpg.f111169ff3ea9bfa4a7e9a6d119d2d15.jpg

In order to make a batch I think it will be required at least an interest of 30 to 40 copies, otherwise with all the related costs in preparing everything will not make any sense. Again, all the files will be free released at some time in the future, this is just for to make a batch.

So, if you would like a cartridge please show interest, and if there is enough people the project will come alive.

Edited by tane
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tane said:

Hello folks,

Some time has passed without any update, so here are some videos with the current status of some of the games. World-class artists have made a touch to increase the beauty of this project. Unfortunately there has not been an answer for the modification of the sound, so it is likely to remain as it is now.

All versions have title screen:

River Raid Cold Winter:

River Raid on Mars:

Do you like the pixel art?

River Raid Medal of Honor:
The way that the random geography is made has been discovered and it's possible to increase or decrease the difficulty, keeping the overall same level every time. So this will be a version with very high difficulty, challenging enough even for a real Conan.

As a summary, the project is closed to 8 new versions:

1. River Raid Blue Max
  2. River Raid Bold
  3. River Raid Tiny
  4. River Raid Cold Winter
  5. River Raid on Mars
  6. River Raid Medal of Honor (high geographical difficulty)
  7. River Raid 2600 (port with the lowest geographical difficulty)
  8. Caverns of Mars 3

All versions will be released (for free), at some point in some months. There is still a lot to do, and I have been working time to time when possible, sometimes I feel like swimming in a middle of a lake with no end, but there has been progress. The NTSC versions are almost complete, and there will be also a PAL version (colors and shapes accordingly), with a digital version for emulation or digital output, and an analog version for real standard hardware. That's 4 versions for each game. The reason behind is that the contrast and colors are not the same in real hardware, and in some cases 1 pixel shapes are reduced to half size shapes in real hardware, so it's required to make a custom version for higher compatibility (a professional release).

Some have asked what about to build a cartridge, no experience about that, and I think that to build one for ~10 games and few people makes no sense. However thinking about that, and being that there would still be a lot of space available in a ROM, to build a cart with 30-40 games would make sense, but only if there is interest in a batch.

So, in order to build a cart, the features and benefits would be:

• 8 new River Raid like games, plus original classics, plus a collection of other games.
  • Get a beautiful collectible cartridge with a top selection of over 30 games, a mix of old and new games, with good underrated / unknown ones. The list hasn't been prepared yet, and if it's technically possible I would add a big collection with the biggest available ROM with more games.
  • Speed-up the project, there is still work to be done.
  • Support new developments (that can be repeated then in the future with other games).
  • Be the first to get the collection. (The files will be released some months thereafter).
  • A free cartridge for those (few) involved in the project.
  • Price: around $29 + shipping. (Not quoted yet, and don't even know if it's technically possible to be done).

124884993_Cartridgeexample.jpg.f111169ff3ea9bfa4a7e9a6d119d2d15.jpg

In order to make a batch I think it will be required at least an interest of 30 to 40 copies, otherwise with all the related costs in preparing everything will not make any sense. Again, all the files will be free released at some time in the future, this is just for to make a batch.

So, if you would like a cartridge please show interest, and if there is enough people the project will come alive.

Interested! Down for a cartridge for sure.

25 minutes ago, Stephen said:

What do you mean "modified with standard colors"?

The even, what else.

OK - I see there's only 128 colours now - why?  The 256 in the original are "standard colours" that any GTIA machine can produce.  My confusion was the terminology, not the changes to the image.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tane said:

Atari Control Picture tool modified with standard colors to test accuracy of colors in real hardware:

Atari Control Picture Simple 1.1.xex 1.59 kB · 8 downloads

1292168741_AtariControlPictureSimple1.1.png.f01bbece5a86cb29212ad3f2d9aa35da.png

This color table may not be recommended for on-screen testing and/or calibration, because it fails to render full tonal-scale (e.g. 16 luma values, from all-black to "white" or brightest).

This is VERY important because there is HW out-there that effectively clips tonal-rendition on E/F luma values, and those will not be detected by the above chart. Furthermore, there is no way to verify mapping of R/G/B primaries (e.g. where exactly they fall on-screen), nor what their ideal reference is.

Original ACP is much better suited for the above tasks.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

This color table may not be recommended for on-screen testing and/or calibration

This is for proper selection of color in games, not for a "HW calibration", with the maximum quantity of colors available in the selected mode, not with colors that are not going to be there.

The colors in real hardware don't look the same as the emulation and something like this is helpful and easy to compare colors.

Edited by tane

2 hours ago, tane said:

This is for proper selection of color in games, not for a "HW calibration", with the maximum quantity of colors available in the selected mode, not with colors that are not going to be there.

The colors in real hardware don't look the same as the emulation and something like this is helpful and easy to compare colors.

The "real ones" certainly do on properly calibrated equipment.  Every CRT I have is what emulators are trying to match, not vice versa.  The better the connection of course the better the sharpness and overall quality, but CRTs do not lack in colour reproduction.  They certainly don't struggle with 256 colours vs 128.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

The "real ones" certainly do on properly calibrated equipment.  Every CRT I have is what emulators are trying to match, not vice versa.  The better the connection of course the better the sharpness and overall quality, but CRTs do not lack in colour reproduction.  They certainly don't struggle with 256 colours vs 128.

It's useless to have distraction with more colors on the screen, since half of them are not going to be in the game. Anyway, what's the point to make a discussion about a rainbow...

On moderns TVs the colors differ a lot. The Altirra defaults palettes don't match properly, I guess it depends of each TV, but at least big brands like LG, Sony and Samsung should have a palette. There should be palettes for moderns TVs. I don't focus on CRTs, since they are scarce, so moderns TVs should be the focus.

Further regarding colors comparisons:

- In my CRT Sony colors 44 and 34 in soil and mountains looks the same. So the contrast must be increased.

- In moderns TVs, the green boy looks some bleached, in CRT looks similar. Also the blue river looks bleached (from the original edition).

So there is a hassle to be done in order to have the right color and contrast in all displays.

454422730_RiverRaidonMars-CRTSony.png.f8cdf6c72917924d938df0596b9cad47.png

That's where the tool begins to play a role, it's required to test colors in different displays, with only the quantity of colors available for the game:

ACP.png.d960c2e440ddb9166d45232f2a81a1b1.png

On 9/11/2019 at 2:29 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

in Mars would indicate inside Mars, on Mars would mean on the Mars surface or on the Planet. That would be the common usage. That's just this side of the pond AFAIK and  there might be another take on things in the UK or other places...

Anyone else have thoughts or knowledge what is correct globally?

Of course.

Put aTR-3B in the artwork and game, then you have a Winner.