IGNORED

Why no Atari 8-bit Elite homebrew?

slaanesh

Apparently not an important enough home-brew to those who were/are working on it to finish it before other projects. And not important enough to any other qualified programmers to give it a shot either. Since I've never played it, only seen screen-shots and played the ST version of it's sequel, Frontier a little, I'm not fully knowledgeable of it, but I believe there is already an alternative on the Atari, that I have started playing recently, as is pretty cool too: Universe by Omnitrend.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-universe_5617.html

Omnitrends_Universe_Omnitrend_Software_1983_ad.jpg

• Like 2

Never heard about this one ..

Anyway .. @Wratchild has gotten pretty close to porting it. Check his posts, he posted some demo recently somewhere here, IIRC.

But many things have to come together for something like that happen.

I plan to do completely new game of that genre, don't expect it before 2025 though ;-)

Here is link to demo of my engine. I plan to remake it basically from the scratch, this was my first thing for Atari and I have come up with many improvements since then ..

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/237244-rescue-3d-engine-demo

Edited by R0ger
  • Like 8

Very nice indeed @R0ger ! I just checked out the video and will try the .XEX on a real machine tonight. I do like that you went with mode 7 for a smooth frame-rate. I always played the 48K version of Mercenary for it's smooth graphics. The 64K high-res version was just a bit too slow. OK if it was the only choice, but I am glad for the 48K version. Maybe high-res would be OK if it was done like Wilmunder's (sorry if I misspelled) Star Raiders II with dots...though I know SRII was dots in mode 7...

In the mean-time I'll just enjoy UNIVERSE as a substitute for RESCUE and ELITE. Though it is a lot more of a text-based strategy, with some graphics, no real animation or anything. So maybe not as close to Elite as I first thought...still very cool simulation.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I recorded a quick video as it would give a better impression than the single screen shot.

It shows some of the things to do like remove the panel in non-Front/Rear/Side views, enable console rendering, mask off the 'E' and 'S' when they aren't needed, employ some DLIs to give more colour to the panel etc.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 31

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@Wrathchild

Love the work you've put into this.  Elite was one of those games that inspired me to take a career in the games industry back in the 90's.  I always wanted an Atari version of it.

Would you like any help with the project?

Edited by dodge
gramma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

This appears to be a sort of character graphics based version of Elite.

no. this is normal apple graphics, 7 bits in reverse so it looks like this. you have to change the draw procedure and that's it ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That  flicker free version MUST be running on a PAL system as I definitely see lots of flicker, just over everything now and not just the ships and planets...

But if the 1mhz C64 can do a "flicker free" version of a 3D vector game, then surely a 1.77mhz Atari can easily achieve it.

• 4 months later...