IGNORED

Adam Power Supply Alternatives to Printer

FiveJay

I tried searching for this topic, but I couldn’t find it. If it already exists, sorry about that! Please let me know the link, then, as I’ve had trouble finding results that were helpful to me. 

I’m new to the Adam, and I took a chance on a cheap auction that has no printer. I’ve seen vague references to other options, but I couldn’t find many details. For new folks and non-technical folks, can we have a list of all the known alternatives for power supplies other than the giant printer that wipes tapes when it’s turned on? I’ve heard it’s possible to make one, but how does a newbie go about doing that? Detailed info on any alternatives would be great!

I can update this top post with all the different suggestions so it’s easy for new folks to find. 

Thanks for your help, everyone!

41 minutes ago, FiveJay said:

I tried searching for this topic, but I couldn’t find it. If it already exists, sorry about that! Please let me know the link, then, as I’ve had trouble finding results that were helpful to me. 

I’m new to the Adam, and I took a chance on a cheap auction that has no printer. I’ve seen vague references to other options, but I couldn’t find many details. For new folks and non-technical folks, can we have a list of all the known alternatives for power supplies other than the giant printer that wipes tapes when it’s turned on? I’ve heard it’s possible to make one, but how does a newbie go about doing that? Detailed info on any alternatives would be great!

I can update this top post with all the different suggestions so it’s easy for new folks to find. 

Thanks for your help, everyone!

A good question for sure.  In your case the best solution would be to use an old ibm desktop power supply that will provide you with +12v -12v +5v and -5v  the rub is finding the -5v to use and no getting at AT power supply that needs a specified load for it to kick in.  Attached is a jpg of the power needed.  For others (you included), the power supply can be removed from the ADAM printer and used natively.  BUT, that takes an ADAM printer to steal it from.

ADAM power needs.JPG

Edited by adamcon
  • Like 1

Here's a link to the last one I used:

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/power_supplies/80-0064-00

I installed a switch on the incoming 110 line so that I could turn it on and off and added a custom face label for a finished look.  It's the upright black box to the left of the disk drives.  

lsPW6V.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doubledown said:

If you could tell me how, I would be happy to.  I looked for it in my profile twice recently and couldn't find where you change it.

Sure thing: Click on your username at the very top of any forum page (I'm assuming you're logged in) and you should see a pop-up menu. Select "Account Settings" in that menu, and then on the "Settings" page, click on "Signature" in the sidebar menu on the left.

1 hour ago, Milli Vee said:

If you don't want me to install it for you, you can do it yourself - I have videos on my channel showing how

And here

Glen Planamento also has one using the same supply externally

Or you can have me do it :) - as I said in the email conversation your first bet is to determine if it works before ordering parts and fixing it, that's why I suggested shipping it to me FOC to give it a once over..

Milli

Thanks, Milli! I’m just trying to get a good grasp of all my options, as there’s varying cost vs. effort for the different methods.

I also found someone on eBay selling custom power supplies he made himself, and although that is the least effort option it is also clearly the most expensive so I’m probably NOT going that route.

If I’m going to make my own power supply (IF, not decided yet), shipping out the system anyway wouldn’t make quite as much sense so I’m also exploring amongst my local retro gamer group if anyone has experience with Adam computers so they can take a look at it. So far it seems nobody does, so chances are if I do end up sending it your way I might as well just have you make the power supply mod. 

Another question for you, though. Since you install the power supply on the inside of the machine and make modifications to do so, is it possible to replace THAT power supply relatively easily? In case that one stops working after a decade or two?

Thanks for all the helpful information!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T9RKD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solder lines to your power supply plug.

Connect to a power line.

Works perfectly at least the one I bought.

Of course this is a quick and dirty way to write this but that is the basics.
As part of a larger guide I am going to put this in my blog along with the disk drive emulator and RECAP.

I am not the first one to do any of this so any one of these guide should do.
However, I am suggesting that if you change the power supply to something more stable and strong that you might want to RECAP your ADAM for a smoother ride for years to come.

I plugged my ADAM in that was never used and it blew a TANT cap which controlled the 12 volt line.
Meaning all of these old parts can go at any time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Harris said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T9RKD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solder lines to your power supply plug.

Connect to a power line.

Works perfectly at least the one I bought.

Of course this is a quick and dirty way to write this but that is the basics.
As part of a larger guide I am going to put this in my blog along with the disk drive emulator and RECAP.

I am not the first one to do any of this so any one of these guide should do.
However, I am suggesting that if you change the power supply to something more stable and strong that you might want to RECAP your ADAM for a smoother ride for years to come.

I plugged my ADAM in that was never used and it blew a TANT cap which controlled the 12 volt line.
Meaning all of these old parts can go at any time.

@Mike Harris thanks!! I would be very interested to read those blog entries when you make them! I’m sure recaps will need to happen at some point, and I’m sure an emulated disk drive would prove very useful!

27 minutes ago, FiveJay said:

Would something like any of these 4 models work? @Milli Vee @adamcon @doubledown @Mike Harris

A0F8D5F7-32F9-4AA3-B88C-175EB5ED2F95.jpeg

Actually I see the larger problem with this approach; what is the output method of this power supply? It doesn’t have the customizable posts like the ones you guys mentioned so I don’t think I’ll be able to make it work

56 minutes ago, FiveJay said:

Actually I see the larger problem with this approach; what is the output method of this power supply? It doesn’t have the customizable posts like the ones you guys mentioned so I don’t think I’ll be able to make it work

Trust me when I say I have looked, I have asked, I have prodded, I have knocked...

You don't need such a complicated power supply.
The only reason why you would try that large PC power supply is if you can't spring for the $20 or so dollars for whichever link you follow.  Nothing implied, just you want to use what you have handy.

The one that I ended up with is just the right size to go inside the ADAM Well and not block any of the expansion ports.

A switch, a plug for the wall and a few pieces of wire.  Of course minimal soldering skills and whatever to make it look fancy even a power LED.

So far it has been a solid device and just works.  Why complicate things more than they have to be.

Edited by Mike Harris
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

Trust me when I say I have looked, I have asked, I have prodded, I have knocked...

You don't need such a complicated power supply.
The only reason why you would try that large PC power supply is if you can't spring for the $20 or so dollars for whichever link you follow.  Nothing implied, just you want to use what you have handy.

The one that I ended up with is just the right size to go inside the ADAM Well and not block any of the expansion ports.

A switch, a plug for the wall and a few pieces of wire.  Of course minimal soldering skills and whatever to make it look fancy even a power LED.

So far it has been a solid device and just works.  Why complicate things more than they have to be.

Thanks, Mike! I think you’re right about that... and I’m not so confident in my electronics skills anyway so I think I’m going to rely on folks like Milli who offer services for the less technical Adam owners like me. Thanks for the help, everyone!