IGNORED

Anybody got tips for selling games on ebay?

I'd actually change that sentence just above to Dont sell them here! moving the !  No offense to the site, but it's quite hard to move anything here unless it's more obscure or so cheaply listed you'd be an idiot to ignore it.  I've not had the best luck moving things off and on since I started here and I list stuff under ebay so there hasn't been the reward there for the time involved.

The thing is for ebay, it's best to at the least take 1-2 really solid 720p or better quality images.   Don't say a lot, but don't say too little because either way someone can use it to screw you.  Be clear what you're offering, how you'll ship it, perhaps use a flat rate shipping charge, or roll that into your price with free shipping to entice.  Make no promises of returns or one day turn around as you never know what can happen.

I have someone who was bitching at me earlier ago because they're angry I supposedly sold them a USED item and listed it as NEW.  The thing is, it is NEW, but it looked worn and I am pretty sure why.  I had written an explanation after responding the first time and figured it would start a fire and erased it.  It was this radica 20q device, it has a wide open front on it so people can try it out, and the original batteries were in there too.  So after a decade it was a bit dusty and batteries weaker so it was dim, the guy is furious enough that the back has scratches/scuffs.  All I can figure is years of storage dust etc got in tehre and rubbed between the box and plastic body and did it.  Sometimes you just can't win, hoping the guy cools it and doesn't leave some crap feedback as it would be a first in 22 years on there.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

There is also atariage facebook marketplace. It probably gets alot more eyes than the forum here.

But tanookis 3rd paragraph above is a good example of why ebay can suck. But yes it is the largest audience....even if a good chunk of them are jackasses. :)

Block zero-Feedback buyers, have a lengthy blocked buyers list (get it from others and copy paste into yours), do not ship overseas or even to Canada, always include free shipping so there's one less thing for a bad buyer to get triggered over, never send a message unless first contacted (5 stars are automatically given if there's no exchange of messages and yes that is a perverse incentive), if you care about the item never use the GSP because they repackage your items, do not use FedEx for shipping, have listing include a warning that you photograph and video every item and packing job so as to scare away potential scam buyers, never sell to johnsgirl, schoolgirlinashortdress, kevincal, or happiestsellerever, consult the Bad Traders and  Known Juicers threads here, if you do auctions end them when people can actually bid (not at 2am on a Wednesday morning unless it's something I want to buy), if selling multiple items space out each listing by a few minutes, have tracking for everything no matter how small, have full insurance (to include shipping costs) for everything over $50, know how to properly pack, and probably more that just don't come to mind at the moment.

• Thanks 1

I'm not the best seller, and it's been a while, but I figure I can offer a few quick tips.

• Take clear photos in a lit environment. - I tend to clear off my bed sheets and take photos on the flat, single colored surface. 
  • Keep descriptions short but detailed. - I make sure all obvious things are listed out. Be very concise with what's being sold.
  • Flat Rate is Great. - This has already been mentioned, but flat rate boxes are free and keep your shipping cost easy! However...
  • Buy a scale if you want to save cost. - I bought a cheap kitchen scale and have gotten pretty good at estimating costs. People often want the cheapest method... and Flat Rate is not always the cheapest. 
  • Printer can save some money too! - eBay has discounts on some shipping services, but you can only take advantage of it if you print the shipping labels. This adds up over time as a 10% discount gets a tad annoying to lose on shipping cost. (Do they still do this?)

There is always the possibility on AtariAge... but as it's already been stated, you can really only sell effectively here if you have something rare/wanted or something heavily discounted (IE cheaper than eBay). I usually come here if I want things sold but don't want to hassle with eBay and fees.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
Correction on last statement.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eBay rules I live by:

• Test everything
  • Be honest
  • Be complete with your listing
  • Pack everything well
  • Ship quickly
  • Leave nice feedback without waiting for the other party to go first
  • Take pictures of dents, scratches, anything someone might not like to receive so they know up front what they're bidding on
  • Don't list broken crap on eBay, it wastes everyone's time
  • If someone is unhappy for a reasonable reason, return their money (once they return your item) without hassling them
  • Don't bitch about eBay online, no one cares
  • Start your auctions at 9PM EST on Sunday nights for maximum exposure
  • Don't get greedy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'd actually change that sentence just above to Dont sell them here! moving the !  No offense to the site, but it's quite hard to move anything here unless it's more obscure or so cheaply listed you'd be an idiot to ignore it.  I've not had the best luck moving things off and on since I started here and I list stuff under ebay so there hasn't been the reward there for the time involved.

The thing is for ebay, it's best to at the least take 1-2 really solid 720p or better quality images.   Don't say a lot, but don't say too little because either way someone can use it to screw you.  Be clear what you're offering, how you'll ship it, perhaps use a flat rate shipping charge, or roll that into your price with free shipping to entice.  Make no promises of returns or one day turn around as you never know what can happen.

I have someone who was bitching at me earlier ago because they're angry I supposedly sold them a USED item and listed it as NEW.  The thing is, it is NEW, but it looked worn and I am pretty sure why.  I had written an explanation after responding the first time and figured it would start a fire and erased it.  It was this radica 20q device, it has a wide open front on it so people can try it out, and the original batteries were in there too.  So after a decade it was a bit dusty and batteries weaker so it was dim, the guy is furious enough that the back has scratches/scuffs.  All I can figure is years of storage dust etc got in tehre and rubbed between the box and plastic body and did it.  Sometimes you just can't win, hoping the guy cools it and doesn't leave some crap feedback as it would be a first in 22 years on there.

But did you actually mention the scratches when you listed on ebay?  Or you just said new?

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

Where did you hear about that?  

For a seven-day auction, it gives everyone a full work week to find and follow, then it finishes up during a time when most people in the USA are at home, so sniping and bidding up has a lot of eyeballs. Most things I list either sell immediately via buy it now, or get 90% of their bidding action in the last five minutes. 

If an auction closes in the middle of the night or during the workday, it won't see as much action. 

Triple check your entries. Scooby Doo's Maze Chase will sell for twice as much and twice as fast as Scooby Doo's Maze Craze, because there is no Scooby Doo's Maze Craze.

If you are doing this in your spare time, have a lot of spare time.

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

But did you actually mention the scratches when you listed on ebay?  Or you just said new?

I did not, because I would have not had any idea they were there.  The item and I've attached the images, would be impossible to tell as I told him, as it was new.  I would have had to tear the box open to check the back.  The tape up top was popped on the tab in back, but internally, it was still attached to the inside plastic mount and other paperwork so it was a new item with sliced tape.  To have seen the damage it would have required removing it from the box, removing the supports from around the plastic mounting bit it had, and likely as it was, messed up the tape and bagged papers inside too to get it out.  I had no way to know it was scuffed.

To that other comment, I always do 5 day, I start them on Tuesdays, but yes for a 7 Sunday would make the most sense to get that amount of people to really look into it.  Either way they both end on the same day.

s-l1600.jpg

38 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

For a seven-day auction, it gives everyone a full work week to find and follow, then it finishes up during a time when most people in the USA are at home, so sniping and bidding up has a lot of eyeballs. Most things I list either sell immediately via buy it now, or get 90% of their bidding action in the last five minutes. 

If an auction closes in the middle of the night or during the workday, it won't see as much action. 

That is a good idea.  Will try that next time.

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

I don't get that one. Why? It would slow down your reputation growth and be a hassle to manage. 

I transitioned a buying account with some hundreds of feedback to a selling account. Then, I started a new buying account (feedback score doesn't matter here). Eventually, the seller account will get seller feedback of its own, of course.

Separate accounts can protect you as a seller from a user seeking retribution if you had a bad transaction with them (with you as buyer). Also, I don't like my buyers to see what I myself have been picking up on eBay (from reading feedback).

6 hours ago, boxpressed said:

Separate accounts can protect you as a seller from a user seeking retribution if you had a bad transaction with them (with you as buyer). Also, I don't like my buyers to see what I myself have been picking up on eBay (from reading feedback).

Sounds like you've had a bad experience? This seems unnecessarily antagonistic, and complex. I've been using eBay for 20 years and this never occurred to me. Glad it's working for you, though. 

i don't have really any good insight for that specifically since i've had pretty miserable luck selling on ebay.   honestly as long as you keep a pretty good rep on AA, i feel like you're better off selling in the Marketplace.  You at least have a targeted audience ;)

That being said, like others have said.  Good quality-pictures, accurate and succinct text, and prompt communication with your buyers.

8 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I have another question. Do mixed lots sell well on ebay or no? 

Depends what you're selling. Do a search for "sold items" and find out. If you have combat and pac man and centipede, they're not going to sell well individually. If you have chase the chuckwagon mixed in with a big lot of common stuff, someone's going to get a good deal while the seller misses out. 

• Like 1

I'd say, always describe your items as being in slightly worse condition than you really think they are. People can & will nitpick over the slightest details if they're expecting new/like new. I've worked retail for years, and people will demand discounts on items becuase the box has a small crease near a corner or a broken tape seal- and that's for boxes you know are getting thrown away- I don't want to deal with the fallout of someone who's keeping the box. I describe most of my items as having 'shelf wear' just as a precaution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The two most important factors are title keywords and price. Photos are a close third. Beginning sellers often use all the wrong keywords in the title.

Keywords you should include: Make (e.g. "Atari," "Intellivision"), Model (e.g. "2600 VCS," "Genesis"), Title (e.g. "Space Dungeon"), completeness (e.g. "CIB," "complete"), functionality (e.g. "tested," "works," "sealed").

The number of characters gets eaten up pretty quickly, especially if the game title is long. Here's how I would write a title for a game:

Space Dungeon for Atari 5200 with Coupler / Complete in Box, Tested

Other title-writing tips:

* stay away from keywords such as "rare." 

* No need to repeat the identical word unless it is in the game title.

* words that a buyer would never search for (e.g. "video game")

* Some games may include a compound word that buyers will search for using two words or vice versa (e.g. "Pacman" and "Pac Man"). You may need to include both in the title, if feasible. (Not 100% sure about how the search algorithm works in this case).

As for price, decide whether you want to get rid of stuff or make the highest profit. If it's the latter, your items should have almost no competition on eBay, and you should be prepared for "longtail," which is sitting on an item for a longer than usual time to get the price you want. If it's the former, undercut the lowest comp in the same condition by $1-$2 for a BIN. Also, use BIN rather than auctions. Just be the lowest price when buyers sort by price (this includes shipping). Most retro games will ship first class for $4-$8.

• Like 2