IGNORED

Doom Classic now on eshop

Flojomojo

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I have a vague memory it was answered before, but is it possible to play Doom 1 or 2 with the directional buttons on Switch?

Just checked this, just for you. ?

Nope, it doesn't work. Analog nubbins only. IMHO this is preferable, but I guess if you really liked WASD on the keyboard that would be the next best thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Nope, it doesn't work. Analog nubbins only. IMHO this is preferable, but I guess if you really liked WASD on the keyboard that would be the next best thing. 

Most did not play Doom 1 and II with WASD... they used the arrow keys (keyboard only). However I play using WASD + Mouse with novert (a DOS utility that disables up and down movement of the mouse) activated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I don't especially like WASD (or arrow keys) because I don't think keyboards are relevant for gaming (except for Typing of the Dead of course) but I've never played Doom with a mouse - I couldn't anyway since I had to free RAM to play it. ?
But I'm not very fond of analog sticks either, in particular for 2D games or games that don't require it - like Doom. My launch day joy-cons still don't have any drifting problem, maybe because I don't use them as much as most people. And I'd like to keep it that way. ?
Anyway thank you for checking this just for me. ?

• Like 2

Another (related) question: is it possible to customize controls and, if not, what is the layout?

I'm wondering if I could use my M30 controller to use its d-pad instead of the left analog stick... But maybe the games use both sticks now (even though you can't look up and down)?

Yes, the games use both analog sticks (even though you can't look down). The default control scheme works well in my opinion. Left stick is forward and back and left-right strafe. Turns are mapped to the right stick. 

Just like in Elder Scrolls Blades. Probably not a coincidence. 

The menu screens are very barebones. Maybe they'll fix it in an update but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Here are the gameplay options from the iPhone version. The Switch isn't much different. 

A18A7992-7125-4092-BCC8-B5360751CAD1.thumb.png.2561fb94c9ca40eb9cf184a2a81e088f.png

@roots.genoa just buy it already, it's not a major expenditure. ?

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

These classic Doom ports are going to start receiving free add-ons, with Sigil confirmed as first. They've also announced 60 fps, aspect ratio options, and the free addition of Final Doom to Doom 1 and 2 (And Doom 2 is getting No Rest for the Living). Updates will also appear on the Xbox One and Playstation 4, with them apparently due soon. :)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-12-10-bethesdas-doom-1-and-2-console-ports-adding-final-doom-sigil-for-free

Nice to see a lot of free added content and improvements. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Thanks 2

Reading through the thread again, and I actually might be able to help.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:35 AM, Atariboy said:

I'm curious if they got rid of the L3 nonsense for running that the BFG Edition was plagued with on the 360 and PS3 and moved it to a proper button (Or at least provide the option this time).

I haven't even played it on my 360 because of that silly button mapping choice and the lack of a way to fix it. Waiting until I own a Xbox One and can temporarily remap my buttons at the OS level to fix it before doing a playthrough, thanks to the handy introduction on the XB1 of being able to map controls at the system level to let gamers fix games coded by developers too lazy to include customizable controls or at least provide a sensible default control configuration. 

On 7/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, roots.genoa said:

I'm afraid they didn't. ? The only thing that can be changed in the controls is swapping buttons for jumping and using (terminals are awful by the way). ?
Most games do it the right way now (even if you release L3, you keep running if you hold the direction) but I've always hated the whole L3 & R3 concept.

If either of you play a lot in handheld mode, I recommend checking out the Hori Power Pad Pro. They're an alternative to joycons, and they have a feature that I think you'll appreciate:

s-l300.jpg

The third set of shoulder buttons (circled in white) can be mapped to anything. I use them as replacements for L3 and R3, and it feels way better to have dedicated buttons instead of clicking sticks. However, you should note that this controller doesn't have motion controls or NFC, and it's for handheld mode only, so YMMV. Still, if you play a lot of handheld mode and you want to never use L3/R3 again, I recommend this thing.

Sorry for pinging y'all nearly 5 months later, but I hope this helps.

Edited by Mike_2000

11 minutes ago, Mike_2000 said:

you should note that this controller doesn't have motion controls or NFC, and it's for handheld mode only

You can use them as replacements for L3 and R3, but I guess they don't disable L3 and R3, unfortunately. I'm playing Luigi's Mansion 3 for instance, and even though I realized I could only use the left stick to catch ghosts, at first I would use both sticks and would 'summon' Glooigi (with R3) involuntarily... -_-

Anyway I was aware of Hori Power Pad Pro, but I would miss HD rumble (at least in Nintendo games in which it's used properly ^^). Besides I used to mostly play in handheld mode, but had to 'switch' to docked mode because of back problems. :(

On 12/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, roots.genoa said:

You can use them as replacements for L3 and R3, but I guess they don't disable L3 and R3, unfortunately. I'm playing Luigi's Mansion 3 for instance, and even though I realized I could only use the left stick to catch ghosts, at first I would use both sticks and would 'summon' Glooigi (with R3) involuntarily... -_-

Anyway I was aware of Hori Power Pad Pro, but I would miss HD rumble (at least in Nintendo games in which it's used properly ^^). Besides I used to mostly play in handheld mode, but had to 'switch' to docked mode because of back problems. :(

Oh, your issue is accidentally pressing L3 and R3. I thought it was just that clicking the sticks feels awkward. I think I have have a different solution: PowerA sells a series of Pro Controllers that also have the third set of shoulder buttons. Also, my friend owns a PowerA, and a few weeks ago he told me the L3 button stopped working when he dropped the controller. So I guess it would be theoretically possible to buy a PowerA, map the L3 and R3 buttons to the new buttons, and then mod the controller to make L3 and R3 stop working. This controller will still lack HD Rumble though, so this might not be worth the effort.

• 1 month later...

necro-ing a little because i updated my Doom Classic copy on the Switch.  Sigil is super cool and the QoL changes they made (screen res, a few things i forget) make this version a lot of fun to play- more fun than when it was released.

i'm also in an airport with time on my hands, lol.  i'd have my switch out except that i'm saving that for second leg of the trip. ;)

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 3:03 AM, roots.genoa said:

It's actually both but yeah, until game system makers realize how stupid L3 and R3 are, I'm screwed. :(

yeah I wish clickable sticks would be dropped completely, worst input possible,

also doom updates are fantastic, no rest for the living was added to doom 2 along with tnt and plutonia, plus sigil and the previous 2 in doom 1, hopefully more mods come in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I really need to get them asap but I already bought 7 new games during the holidays and only managed to beat one. ?
Plus I recently got a review copy of SEGA AGES Shinobi which I must prioritize as a real reporter. ;)

I don't think you need to rush, it's not like they're going to unroll out this patch...

I've got so many gold coins on their shop I've never bothered with I could get doom for just over a dollar.  I really should.  I never did like D2 as much other than a few stages and the double barreled shot gun so the choice would be obvious.  Plus if someone didn't watch that video, you can also run added WAD files too including the newest Episode 5 'Sigil' as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...