Giles N

Hi,
Many have lamented the somewhat thin sound on the Atari7800 (without the pokey-exceptions).

So, I
1) hooked up the Atari7800 sound to a Marshall el-guitar-Amp,
2) put on clean channel with high output on clean-gain, treble, middle and bass
3) put on higest FX-output 
4) set FX to Chromatic
5) Reverb level highest
6) started with 0 volume so I didn´t blow myself through the room

So, what did happen...

I felt the normal A7800 music and sound-effects all improved by at least 50%

I recorded mp4s for 

Double Dragon
Scrapyard Dog
Dark Chambers

I would like to share these when I find out how-to.

And I believe that all the sound of A7800 can be improved by appr. 50% by adding a unit that runs all sound through a mixer giving high treble, bass, middle with high chromatic and reverb.

OK... may be oversimplified...

But I had fun trying it out...

49 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

I know one of my friends did something similar with a 2600, a vintage amp, and various guitar pedals. Too bad that he didn't record footage of that.

Do you know how to insert an mp4 here, or must I put it out on YouTube and then link, or something?

Under my Digital FX category, I can set it to: Chr/Dly, Dly, Chr or Flg.

Then cranck up the level of the chosen FX. 

And Reverb is separate.

I kind of just supposed Chr = chromatic.

I never bothered to check that, I just have a feeling of what it sounds like.

94A24004-0EB4-479E-8A3C-F6D6836D4203.png

Edited by Giles N

Of the examples you posted I think Dark Chambers is the best, but in my opinion none of them are really improved, just different. There's something of a 'distant' quality to the audio, possibly caused by the reverb that I think it could do without. I think the reason Dark Chambers is the better example is that the effects are somewhat enhancing the bass. My instinct would be to remove the reverb or filter that's making it seem 'distant', add some distortion, and then ramp up the bass to try and eek out any hint of a bassy sound the system might produce.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, on a guitar effects pedal or processor, “CHR” will be ”Chorus.” Basically you’re just doubling the sound, often with a tiny bit of phase delay or reverb effect to make it sound more like two voices instead of one.

So really, this is not at all 7800-specific. You could hook up any system you want to your amp and get the same sound effects. You could also connect your 7800 through a real home theater AVR and add in all kinds of digital effects, bass boosting, reverb and sound environment modeling, etc. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Yeah, on a guitar effects pedal or processor, “CHR” will be ”Chorus.” Basically you’re just doubling the sound, often with a tiny bit of phase delay or reverb effect to make it sound more like two voices instead of one.

So really, this is not at all 7800-specific. You could hook up any system you want to your amp and get the same sound effects. You could also connect your 7800 through a real home theater AVR and add in all kinds of digital effects, bass boosting, reverb and sound environment modeling, etc. 

I knew it wasn’t 7800-specific as to ‘method’, but I hear many feel that the sound is thin or not very high-quality (as it competed against NES and C64), the system, and I wanted to see if an easily obtainable external device could make both music and sound-effects more chuncky overall without having to ‘fine-tune’ for every-game; that is using same setting for everything.

One could envision that it would be better and more professional to ‘to just open it up and insert a KORG mini-synth-chip and then only do bit of reprogramming of all the games’.

But that would not, at least, be the simple solution for the general layman-retro-gamer.

Hooking up with an enormous Marshall Amp is not a simple and cheap solution, even though I myself felt Chorus + Reverb and giving Bass, Middle and Treble a boost on clean channel gave the music much less stiffness, and much, much more depth/musicality.

So I’ll sometime try with one of these small cheap portable guitar-amps, so that effects can be added.

All suggestions for simple, external devices which can improve upon both music and sound-effects with as few setting-changes as possible are of course welcome.

And I appreciate all the input here.

Edited by Giles N

On 7/29/2019 at 10:38 AM, Linndrum said:

I have a fancy auto-wah pedal, I bet that would be interesting :D

Like a old cry baby wah?  I have a boss T-wah from early 80s somewhere also a  rack effects unit for my bass.. but do not have the skills to upload to u tube with a video or whatever.

1 hour ago, Jinks said:

Like a old cry baby wah?  I have a boss T-wah from early 80s somewhere also a  rack effects unit for my bass.. but do not have the skills to upload to u tube with a video or whatever.

I manually recorded a PC emulation (I have the org.carts. & hardware), with my iPad, using sound recording close to the Amp.

Then I inserted the audio-file into Garage-band.

From there I exported it to iMovies, added pictures along with the sound-file.

Then I stored it as video on my phone.

Went to my YouTube channel, and from there chose to upload it from my iPhone (which took 5-10 minutes).