IGNORED

Upgrades for Atari 800

32 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Heh... I got almost exactly the same bandwidth with my experimental UNO Cart IDE emulation. :) I didn't think the implementation was too bad. :D

Anyway: in the case we're talking about, it's basically seek times. The 6502 always transfers the sector buffer at full speed, but it has to poll the emulated IDE status register until the data register is ready to read. This polling phase is a little longer with the IDE emulation later; the cart firmware has to map logical 512 byte sectors to physical blocks on the SD card, and then transfer them to an intermediary buffer. This all takes a little longer than it takes a CF controller to prepare its internal buffer.

i've always wondered what's the theoretical maximum throughput of that 6502 code (benchmark + IDE driver), if it's substantially higher for a "perfect device" (one that has always status you're waiting for on the first test) than that sixty-something kB/s, i might look into my emulation one day, just for the kicks and more grey hair

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Yeah: it would be interesting. And before anyone else mentions it: ~60KB/s is with ANTIC DMA enabled, and with DOS overheads. I guess about 90KB/s reads are attainable when bypassing DOS with ANTIC DMA disabled.

I'd lie if I say that is 90 KB/s is the highest I've seen....

... because CF on Incognito (and Ultimate 1MB) + BIOS is even higher:

IMG_3493.thumb.JPG.f433d6a024c9d00e1bad58934483e5e7.JPG

post-29379-0-20099800-1558159275.thumb.jpg.573dfc66e8c98bdf4e12ade9ef9b5fc6.jpg

IMG_3495.JPG

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

OK - thanks for that. I was guessing. :)

That was a pretty good guess, indeed (conservative enough)...

90KB/sec is also achieved with DMA OFF and using DOS I/O routine, instead of OS/PBI.

AWESOME work there!!!

Edited by Faicuai

17 hours ago, Gunstar said:
17 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Did I not release a player which works with the MYIDE II? Perhaps I should.

I for one, would appreciate it. I have an 800XL, 1200XL (for others) and 800 already in line for rebuilds and upgrades before I even get to my second 1200XL with U1MB & SiDE 2, or probably a couple of years in reality.

I would appreciate it, too.  +1 to Gunstar's request, please.