IGNORED

Could this japanese controller (see picture) be modded to be used for the Atari5200?

Giles N

Short answer, yes. I have one that works on the colecovision that was made by Atariguy1021, who is not around anymore. It probably needs a completely new circuit board, though, like the ColecoVision one does and would probably only work for the digital games without replacing the d-pad with a thumbstick.

16 hours ago, Swami said:

Short answer, yes. I have one that works on the colecovision that was made by Atariguy1021, who is not around anymore. It probably needs a completely new circuit board, though, like the ColecoVision one does and would probably only work for the digital games without replacing the d-pad with a thumbstick.

I just happen to know nothing about the hardware-parts in joy-sticks/pads...

What is a circuit-board?

Yes, the D-pad would as it is now only work for some games, but many games in this category gets a double or triple playability improvement by that... so, for such games... I’d like to see more converted/adaptedjoysticks/joypads.

16 hours ago, bah said:

As Swami says.  And you will have a digital pad which won't work with a few analog only games.  Still looks neet.

Yeah, I thought of it as something I’d like to see adapted for the A5200 to play mostly these games which needs a quick way of changing direction.

But someone also has been able to fit an analog mini-stick it would be superb.

34 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Yes it could be reworked to use on the 5200 but it would be an ungodly amount of work.

I am impressed with the amount of quality products Atariguy1021 created and sold in a short amount of time. Some of the design was based on other's work, such as the Redemption, bohoki and lowbudget, but sourcing the parts and building the circuitboard and units had to be a lot of work.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:48 AM, Swami said:

Do you know anyone who does such conversion/adaption of joystick/pads to have them work on Atari5200?

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

Do you know anyone who does such conversion/adaption of joystick/pads to have them work on Atari5200?

No, sorry. Sometimes people will pop up and start selling some type of hardware or mod of some kind and then just stop after 15-20 and not make anymore. On this site, at least, its pretty much impossible to hire someone to do something very complicated. A couple people who do things like AV mods to a console, but that's about it.

I found this one guy I had hired to make an adapter to use a playstation 2 controller on a Colecovision. About half way through, several weeks later, he began just doing his own thing on it and veering away from what I wanted. I began asking for it to be to my specifications again and I just quit getting responses from him. 

5 hours ago, Swami said:

No, sorry. Sometimes people will pop up and start selling some type of hardware or mod of some kind and then just stop after 15-20 and not make anymore. On this site, at least, its pretty much impossible to hire someone to do something very complicated. A couple people who do things like AV mods to a console, but that's about it.

I found this one guy I had hired to make an adapter to use a playstation 2 controller on a Colecovision. About half way through, several weeks later, he began just doing his own thing on it and veering away from what I wanted. I began asking for it to be to my specifications again and I just quit getting responses from him. 

Ah, I see.