IGNORED

atr file errors

pmgraphics

I edited my basic code using the H: drive. Once compete, I save the files to an atr as an attached disk. Lately I am getting errors after I delete files off the attached atr disk, both when using File > Disk drives > Explore disk and if I boot to DOS and delete the files using the DOS command.

I'm using Altirra 3.10 and DOS2.

ADISKBAD1 (first image) resulted from using Explore Disk to delete files.

ADISKBAD2 (second image) resulted from using DOS to delete files.

Is there a better way to work with the ATR files so not to damage them?

ADISKBAD1.PNG

ADISKBAD2.PNG

Edited by pmgraphics
added explanation detail

That seems a bit odd. I could see a bug in Altirra's filesystem code, but DOS 2 shouldn't be corrupting its own disks. Any chance you might have used MyDOS or LiteDOS on this disk at some point? They support a different form of sector addressing that can then cause problems when DOS 2 modifies the disk, since DOS 2 doesn't understand that extension.

To fix the disk, save it to a new ATR file and then use the Convert Filesystem option to re-convert it to DOS 2. This works by formatting a new disk image and copying over the files. This will generate a fresh allocation bitmap and also detangle any cross-linked files (though the data may already be corrupted in that case). This may clear whatever's busted on the disk that's causing the problem.

If you're willing to share the disk image with me, I'd also be interested in looking at it to see if there are additional checks I need to add to Altirra's filesystem code.

LiteDOS does not write to disks that are in a different format.

So you can rule that out.

I just send an ATR to Avery in "DOS 2.5" format, that not will detect correctly either.

Let's wait and see.

Grtz!

Edited by mr-atari

Mr-atari's DOS 2.5 disk legitimately has errors on it and is unlikely to be the same issue.

As for the "DAVID YOUNG MODIFIED 070981" part, I have that same copy of DOS 2.0S. As far as I know, it's just an improved disk copy feature in DUP that shouldn't affect core DOS operations -- DOS.SYS doesn't have any meaningful differences from the original version.